Blood Pressure...

Has anyone ever had one of these? How did it go for you? Presumably it inflates the cuff periodically, which makes a bit of a noise.
Yes. I had to wear one for 24 hours before my doc would agree to prescribe me bp meds. It does inflate about every half hour and is not comfortable at all.
 
133/81 average over 3 measurements. I'm not unhappy with this, it's come down.
 
Bisoprolol ran out 2 days ago. Script from the GP came through late. Pharmacy closed earlier today than usual, and is closed tomorrow. Wish me luck, lads - it controls my heart rate, BP, and adrenaline, so not watching the football tomorrow.
 
ebbdbbf094a5ae5bec04552dcd636e67.jpg


 
So, we detected in the last week an issue with my wife's BP.
Started monitoring intensively ourselves and the questions immediately arose.
What is considered to be normal?
The info out there is very confusing.
The manual that came with the BP monitor has a scale in it suggesting that the following ranges are considered normal but is silent on the extremes within normal and does not talk at all about pulse rate.
Systolic: Normal: 100 - 140
Dia: Normal: 60 - 90.
So would that mean the ideal is 120/75?
And what about reading of 100/90 and 140/60?
Or, 100/60 and 140/90?
Are these acceptable?
And then pulse rate. Is low better then high?
Say a reading as of this morning P 63 and 128/74?
Good or bad?
Yesterday it was P 113/64?
Some comment would be appreciated as we are only able to get to the doctor next week.
 
Last edited:
Relax. Relax. Relax.

Systolic: Normal: 100 - 140
Dia: Normal: 60 - 90.

This means as long as the figures are within this range, you're OK.

The readings will fluctuate, meaning that you will seldom get something like 120/70 or any "perfect" reading.

Keep in mind a whole lot of things also affect systolic/diastolic pressure, the body is a complex thing.

As long as the pressure remains within those limits, you're good to go.

But if it do go outside (either above or below) by a small amount, no need to panic, just monitor frequently, but if it do go any lower or higher, then you most probably want to go to the ER or a doctor for a proper assessment.
 
@Geoff.D

See my quoted post. Highly recommend using this app. It will colorize and add statistics to allow you to get a better view over time.

I would worry (and I have) if you for example see consistent readings like 151/80 or 151/95 for multiple readings over multiple times of the day and over multiple days. That is when you go visit your GP.

If you get one such reading, but then it goes back to normal readings, its mostly ok. Maybe something happened just before that specific one high reading.

Edit:
ok I see in your case its on the lower side. If consistently below 110/60 then I would worry.
The pulse rate is kinda like the heart rate, at least the same rate heart rate watches and belts monitor. A resting heart rate can go as low as 50s or 40s if you super fit, but generally around 50s and 60s, then much higher while exercising.

Both are important to look at. 134 is not THAT high yet but you can always ask your Doctor.
Get the app (AVAX on Google Play) someone mentioned earlier in this thread. Record your readings in that. What is nice about it, it shows in color what your readings look like. Can export to excel for your doctor too etc. It also gives nice statistics.

Here are 2 screenshots of mine recently

8b3abfd04241f11fb7755da3d1239363.jpg


ef2f5d97f483b38e85b14a2bc546ca86.jpg
 
And then pulse rate. Is low better then high?
Pulse rate - resting should be around 50 to 60 bpm (when sleeping or sitting doing nothing).

Vigorous excercise should bring it up to between 80 and 100bpm.

My pulse rate (resting) was 80bpm before I started doing a bit more excercise and walking around, now it is between 55 and 65 bpm sleeping, and 80 to 100 bpm when active.

Just keep in mind I'm not a health professional...
 
Pulse rate - resting should be around 50 to 60 bpm (when sleeping or sitting doing nothing).

Vigorous excercise should bring it up to between 80 and 100bpm.

My pulse rate (resting) was 80bpm before I started doing a bit more excercise and walking around, now it is between 55 and 65 bpm sleeping, and 80 to 100 bpm when active.

Just keep in mind I'm not a health professional...
You sure that is vigorous? mine go as high as 120-180(peaks) during vigorous exercise with an average of around 134bpm.
 
Pulse rate - resting should be around 50 to 60 bpm (when sleeping or sitting doing nothing).

Vigorous excercise should bring it up to between 80 and 100bpm.

My pulse rate (resting) was 80bpm before I started doing a bit more excercise and walking around, now it is between 55 and 65 bpm sleeping, and 80 to 100 bpm when active.

Just keep in mind I'm not a health professional...
Thanks, I am looking for real people comments.
A feel for what is considered normal and when to panic.
We will give the doc next week the readings we have and then get the prof opinion. It is just me wanting to understand all of this stuff before that visit.
Covid has changed lots of our behaviour even those involving regular visits to the doctor.
 
I've heard that you should always test on the same arm otherwise it can skew your results. Not sure how true that is...
 
I've heard that you should always test on the same arm otherwise it can skew your results. Not sure how true that is...
yeah there are slight anatomical differences - eg stronger muscles on your dominant arm. You should have as few variables as possible in your checks.
 
I am amazed at how much variation there is. Mine is pretty stable, I am not on any medication of any sort for BP, hypertension etc. The only thing I take now once every second day is Ecotrin 81 mg.

My wife on the other hand shows swings up and down all the time. She is on two different hypertension medications, one in the mornings and one at night.
Yet he BP is always on the low side in the mornings. Why then is she taking a tablet?
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X