Boost blood iron level

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
I went to donate blood two weeks ago and they said the iron level of my blood is just under the minimum threshold. It should be 13.5 and I had 13.4 which is strange because normally it is in the 15s. Anyways they said I should comeback in two weeks time which is today. I though I would spike my blood iron level by taking some raisins before the time, got a packet of Peanuts and Raisins (450g) on my desk.

Now I am wondering how long before I go to donate should I eat it? Is blood iron levels as fast as blood alcohol levels so I can eat it a few minute before I go or does it take a little longer?

Last edited:

killadoob

Honorary Master
Eat meat after donating but you should be fine within a day i think if you eat meat a lot, if not go to your doctor get a blood test and if it is low request autrin and you will take it every second day.

Last edited:

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
I'll finish the raisins and peanuts through the day. as I said I have never had this issue before so maybe it was just a fluke shot. I am a fairly healthy and rather active person. I have not noticed any dip in performance with regards to my running and cycling so I seriously doubt that there is any problems with my blood.

killadoob

Honorary Master
I'll finish the raisins and peanuts through the day. as I said I have never had this issue before so maybe it was just a fluke shot. I am a fairly healthy and rather active person. I have not noticed any dip in performance with regards to my running and cycling so I seriously doubt that there is any problems with my blood.
Dude you are worrying for nothing unless you do not eat meat.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Dude you are worrying for nothing unless you do not eat meat.
Well I'll find out in about two hours. I am not worrying at all, and I do eat meat. It's just annoying to go through the trouble of getting their and then they don't want your blood cause of something stupid like iron levels or what not.

killadoob

Honorary Master
Well I'll find out in about two hours. I am not worrying at all, and I do eat meat. It's just annoying to go through the trouble of getting their and then they don't want your blood cause of something stupid like iron levels or what not.
It isn't stupid, low iron levels are not good. Go to the lab, tick iron test. R 167.00 not sure where your closest lancet lab is, then take it to your doctor who will tell you what you need. If you are on medical aid it should be no problem. Cost you next to nothing.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
So yet again I got 13.4 but they said since this is the second time they will take a tube and send it away for tests. I told them I am a man of steel, not iron so they should not check my iron level.

Anyways, will see what the outcome of the test is.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
I went to donate blood two weeks ago and they said the iron level of my blood is just under the minimum threshold. It should be 13.5 and I had 13.4 which is strange because normally it is in the 15s. Anyways they said I should comeback in two weeks time which is today. I though I would spike my blood iron level by taking some raisins before the time, got a packet of Peanuts and Raisins (450g) on my desk.

Now I am wondering how long before I go to donate should I eat it? Is blood iron levels as fast as blood alcohol levels so I can eat it a few minute before I go or does it take a little longer?
wth. The purpose of a test is to measure the normal value...not an artificially spiked value. Not that your attempts to spike it will be very successful with raisins. You'd need to eat a crapload of them to make any difference at all.

It isn't stupid, low iron levels are not good. Go to the lab, tick iron test. R 167.00 not sure where your closest lancet lab is, then take it to your doctor who will tell you what you need. If you are on medical aid it should be no problem. Cost you next to nothing.
Generally the labs won't let you tick you own tests or release the info to you. I'm sure some do, but they are not supposed to.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
The nurse that drew the blood said I should take some iron pills until the results are back but that normally for people like me who are fairly healthy and fit there are no problems. They simply add it on my profile and then its business as usual.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Indeed iron pills. I think you misunderstood her though - she meant take iron pills continuously until it hits the required level, not just shortly before the test. Iron accumulates in the body, so you can't just munch it for good measure...hence the until results are normal part.

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
Low iron levels may be perfectly normal if you engage in regular strenuous exercise but can sometimes indicate internal bleeding. If your stools appear very dark/black in colour it would be sensible to do a faecal occult blood test to rule out the possibility of bleeding colon polyps which can become cancerous.
http://www.webmd.com/digestive-diso...s-stool-testing-blood-fecal-occult-blood-test
Happened to me just a month ago. Had a bleeding ulcer without even knowing.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Happened to me just a month ago. Had a bleeding ulcer without even knowing.
How did you know about the bleeding ulcer? My poop seems fine to me, not too dark so it is hard to tell if there is internal bleeding. I hope the lab tests can confirm such things...

Yotch

Expert Member
If you haven't already had this test done just to be on the safe side maybe you could ask your local pharmacy for a FOB test kit or get the test done cheaply at a pathology lab nearby. The UK now has a nationwide bowel cancer screening program which involves getting all residents over a certain age to do a faecal occult blood test. Early detection of stomach/colon cancers can prevent a small localised growth from turning into a life threatening medical condition. Look around on the internet for symptoms of bleeding ulcers/colon polyps so you know what to be alert for in the future.
http://www.patient.co.uk/health/screening-for-colorectal-bowel-cancer

RiaX

Expert Member

uhm dont spike your levels of anything. Im not sure but iron fluctuates through the day and is at its highest in the morning. If you are donating blood then donate it properly sir there is a reason why these criteria are in play.

Secondly if you never had a problem with your iron then its nothing you need to address with supplements or meds perhaps just modify your diet slightly (safer, healthier and cheaper).

Dont consult things like webMD cause as you have probably read people are diagnosing you with cancer, ulcers, internal bleeding, organ failure ....

You diet has probably changed slightly or some lifestyle change.

FYI if you think you have a bleeding ulcer you will have abdominal distress that would be like IBS, then you will experience cramps with a dark stool (near black in colour) which would indicate upper GI bleeding not lower. Then eventually you will experience a stomach cramp like no other and you will be almost disabled .... THEN you can worry about bleeding uclers

Last edited:

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Thanks RiaX, I think I'll need to look at my diet then. Still waiting for the test results so I'll keep you all posted on that.