SaadiqC

BSc Informatics vs BSc Computing - UNISA (Moved from General Section)
Hi everyone!

I am a first time poster and have read the other threads with regards to this topic, I decided to post something myself and see the type of response I'd get. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I have recently graduated from UCT with an undergrad in Organizational Psychology and International Relations (Politics). I found it very very tough to find work and all I could get were internship positions. However, I have just started my first "real" job at a fund administration company, I got the job due to a connection to be blatantly honest. It pays fairly well, compared to what I was earning, although the work is quite mundane and seeing as though I don't have a bcom or business science degree I would assume i'd be fairly disadvantaged with regards to my movement and promotion prospects. So, I have decided to study a second undergraduate degree through UNISA and my question is BSc Informatics (Information Systems) or BSc Computing?

I will admit that I am more interested in the business side of things as opposed to programming. However, I do not want to go through the pain of hunting for work. And therefore I am strongly considering a BSc in computing merely because of the opportunities it will provide. That being said, I have always had an interest in technology and computers but I have had no experience with coding or programming.

So basically what I am asking is, which degree would afford me a wider range of opportunities? And seeing that I am more interested in the business side of things, would it be worth enduring the extra pain of a computing degree? And lastly, is there anyone on this forum that has completed either of the two above-mentioned degrees through UNISA specifically and can attest to its quality, or lack thereof?

Any advice or input would really be greatly appreciated. I just want to do as much homework as possible before making a choice as I do not want to waste my time. Thanks in advance!

vic777

Expert Member
I did the computing degree. It is different to informatics - it has more maths (pure maths first year, statistics second year, discrete maths until third year) and much more programming (C++ till third year, assembly second year, Python as an elective, C/Javascript in graphics as an elective).

It seems that more people choose informatics as opposed to computing.

So basically what I am asking is, which degree would afford me a wider range of opportunities? And seeing that I am more interested in the business side of things, would it be worth enduring the extra pain of a computing degree? And lastly, is there anyone on this forum that has completed either of the two above-mentioned degrees through UNISA specifically and can attest to its quality, or lack thereof?

Difficult question to answer. The two streams have different focus areas, both are good in their own way. Choose the one which interests you most, part time studies are hard enough without you having to force yourself to be interested in modules you don't like.

I also did an earlier degree at the University of Pretoria. There is nothing wrong with the quality or standards of UNISA science degrees, I can't speak for other degrees at UNISA. This is compared to my experience with my previous degree. The admin isn't great, but the standards are fine.

Last edited:

netcruiser

If you're more interested in the business side, and if you don't have an aptitude for maths, then rather do the Informatics.

Pho3nix

The Legend
He would still need to do Stats and finance modules. Not exactly avoiding maths is he?

SaadiqC

Hey everyone. Thanks for all the replies! I'm not really mad about maths. However I have already completed the maths requirements for the com sci degree and have already done statistics at university level. Although I'm just wondering to what extent and difficultly level the maths is used in the com sci modules? I don't mind it. But i will admit that I am not amazing at it. So if it's a core part of the degree and it's at a very high level then I may just opt for Informatics.

My only issue with the Informatics is that the commerce courses, apart from Accounting, are pretty much useless. It includes courses like entrepreneurship when I'd much rather be doing courses like finance or tax.