• No, never learned how

Votes: 24 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 15 3.8%

• Total voters

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Is changing a tyre part of your automotive skill set?

What else can/do you do in terms of vehicle maintenance?

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
I did a gearbox and RWD CV joints, but 4 decades ago. Not much since then. Lots of jump starts for other people...

Xino_sam

Expert Member
Tyres, brakes, discs, oil, water, plugs, engine mounts, head gasket, cambelt, water pump, radiator, tensioners, pcv system, turbocharger...
Showoff - the handyman in the automotive industry :)

gamer16

Honorary Master
It's common sense, no one ever taught me how, not that anyone needed to, its not difficult.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
I had to plug my tyre just 3 weeks ago down by the dam in my car, picked up a nasty nail there while driving around looking at the water.
Repairing a tyre is slightly more effort than on a motorbike as I find it easier to jack the wheel up off the ground to minimise the pressure on the tyre.

Find what's causing the hole, remove it if it is there, pump up the tyre, use the Reamer to make the hole bigger so that it is a certain size, pump up tyre while holding 1 finger over the hole, put lubed repair string into the hole with the applicator, pull out, pump up the tyre to the required pressure, jack down and drive off

Other than that using a repair kit is awesome fun and you feel proud of yourself afterwards. Changing tyres is just plain boring and then afterwards you worry about picking up another puncture before getting home.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I had to plug my tyre just 3 weeks ago down by the dam in my car, picked up a nasty nail there while driving around looking at the water.
Repairing a tyre is slightly more effort than on a motorbike as I find it easier to jack the wheel up off the ground to minimise the pressure on the tyre.

Find what's causing the hole, remove it if it is there, pump up the tyre, use the Reamer to make the hole bigger so that it is a certain size, pump up tyre while holding 1 finger over the hole, put lubed repair string into the hole with the applicator, pull out, pump up the tyre to the required pressure, jack down and drive off

Other than that using a repair kit is awesome fun and you feel proud of yourself afterwards. Changing tyres is just plain boring and then afterwards you worry about picking up another puncture before getting home.
Then after all that you have to take it in and get the tyre patched properly.