Votes: 352 90.0%
  • No, never learned how

Votes: 24 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 15 3.8%

• Total voters

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
Then after all that you have to take it in and get the tyre patched properly.
Nope, never have before
Ive ridden a back tyre on my bike the full 40 000km with 5 plugs in it before i changed the tyre coz the thread was finished.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Nope, never have before
Ive ridden a back tyre on my bike the full 40 000km with 5 plugs in it before i changed the tyre coz the thread was finished.
Good for you - patches are safer than plugs.

Stuey74

Yes, done many times over the years. And when you build and run a race car on a limited budget you learn to do a lot of things, very quickly.

Neuk_

Expert Member
I assumed changing a tyre meant changing wheels, done it a few times on multiple vehicles in varying conditions.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
A air compressor and a bunch of plugs take up far less space than spare wheels.

There are plenty of roads in SA where you don't have any other option than to plug your tyres (I am looking at you, any dirt road within 100km of Tankwa)

I've had a tyre cut open by an exhaust that had broken off of some other vehicle and was lying in the road, plugs wouldn't have worked on that, or sidewall damage. Admittedly it is rarer than just normal plugable holes.

PsYTraNc3

Expert Member
Things were much simpler when I had a Mk1 which I used to service and repair myself.
These days the the most dirty job I do myself is brake pad and disk replacement.

Nemoneiros

Executive Member
Is changing a tyre part of your automotive skill set?

What else can/do you do in terms of vehicle maintenance?
[X] Yes

But you should also upkeep your spare. Kinda defeat the point if you have never made sure it is actually where it should be, that it actually fits and isn't flat. I've once had a case where the thing didn't fit...

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
A air compressor and a bunch of plugs take up far less space than spare wheels.

There are plenty of roads in SA where you don't have any other option than to plug your tyres (I am looking at you, any dirt road within 100km of Tankwa)
Yeah - sometimes repairing is not a option.

I don't see why a dirt road prevents you from changing a tyre.

konfab

Honorary Master

It doesn't. But when said dirt road causes more than one puncture you are in trouble.

supersunbird

Honorary Master

I'm assuming that the roads there puncture the tyres so much, that even 2 spare wheels won't be enough for a prolonged stay in area, in which case you'd be left to plug.

Had a local pothole once somewhere in 2010/2011, before I filled it with soil it had cut open the 2 left-side tyres of over 10 vehicles,

Cr4ig

Honorary Master
I'm surprised that there's still people that can't change their wheels, I shouldn't be though considering how many colleagues I've had to help change wheels after work when they want to go home and discover they have a flat, and then have no idea what to do. One had lock nuts on but no key for the lock nuts, had to take her to buy that can things at the hardware shop to inflate the tyre.