Can you use the internet without a modem ?

KaylinGov

I bought a tp link at game for R400, on sunday. Any device connected to a telephone line will die with a bad surge.
You should get a multimeter to test your power supplies. on Dstv power supplies you can test it with a 20 watt 12 volt globe. [car turn signal bulb]. You do get adsl/modems that can do 3g [gsm] and adsl.

The power supply for the cordless phone seems fine as the device powers up and works. I think it's the telephone line that's messed up somehow. According to telkom (who phoned this morning) they've resolved the issue and I need to replace the splitter I was using.

But I've been using two different ones and still getting the same issue...

Great...

PaulB_

Lol plugging a 12v supply into a 9v device and not expecting smoke..?
If it wasn't dead, you killed it.
Strange, Mweb's fiber router they provide is 5v, and yet a 12v power supply works fine.

PaulB_

The power supply for the cordless phone seems fine as the device powers up and works. I think it's the telephone line that's messed up somehow. According to telkom (who phoned this morning) they've resolved the issue and I need to replace the splitter I was using.

But I've been using two different ones and still getting the same issue...

Great...
Try plugging the modem directly into the Telkom phone jack, without a splitter. The only time a splitter is needed, is to run the phone as well as the modem. Before we switched to fiber, I had our ADSL running on a dedicated line, without one.

upup

Executive Member
a Telephone line also contain 50Volts dc, that is if you got a multimeter.

upup

Executive Member
Strange, Mweb's fiber router they provide is 5v, and yet a 12v power supply works fine.
Nothing is strange, a engineer design a circuit for a certain voltage, some components can take a big tolerance, some not. Any normal person will only use the correct rated device. Remember Ohm's law. When voltage drop, amp goes up, then temperature goes up.

KaylinGov

Try plugging the modem directly into the Telkom phone jack, without a splitter. The only time a splitter is needed, is to run the phone as well as the modem. Before we switched to fiber, I had our ADSL running on a dedicated line, without one.

Yeah there's only one port on our telkom Jack so a splitter is needed to run both the phone and adsl at the same time. Using the devices are not an issue anymore as I can use them. Using them at the same time is the issue. Then there's also the matter of the cordless phone which can power up and is receiving calls but cannot answer them or make them.

Brieuse

Yeah there's only one port on our telkom Jack so a splitter is needed to run both the phone and adsl at the same time. Using the devices are not an issue anymore as I can use them. Using them at the same time is the issue. Then there's also the matter of the cordless phone which can power up and is receiving calls but cannot answer them or make them.

Try without any phones or filters , only need filters for the phones.

Filters are as cheap as chips just get them replaced