Capped way too quickly, not too sure?

Pohm

So, heres the story, i'm not sure what has happened and what can be done about it.

I have a Normal telkom 3gb/30gb local cap on a 4mb line. I usually get capped round the 20th or even later, and my average daily usage is about 120mb +- since i'm mostly using my adsl to play wow(2-3 accounts = +- 30mb per day per account). I also receive my usage stats via email daily.

On the first of the month, my usage was 0mb.
On the 2nd it was still 0mb, and even on the 3rd it was still on 0mb.
When i got my stats for the 4th, it went up to 600mb used, on the 5th i was up to 800mb used. Then on the 6th i jumped up to 1.26gb, which is still sort of acceptable... but wait.. there's more.. on the 7th, it went up to 2.6gb, thats 1.4gb that i know i have not done at all, and to my surprise.. on the 8th.. today.. 5.42gb.. thats a whole 2.8gb, of which 1.2gb = uploads..wtf.. and no, bitcomet/utorrent's not running..
So, this has now made me a bit worried that my account might have been "compromised/hacked".
Has this happened to any1 else?
Could some1 tell me what to do?
I have changed my password on the account already.

///MoH

Exact same thing happened to me!

Not sure what was the cause

craig1196

Well all you can do is change your router password and Isp password and see next month. But it really could be hacked so u should be ok now. Also did you lend your account to a mate?

Pohm

I have not given any1 my acc details, furthermore, im using the OOOLLLLDDD "ADSL USB Pots" thingy, not even a decent router :p

waynegohl

Ancient Astronaut
happened to me last month on the 6th 4.something gigs gone.

Pohm

so, what do we do about it? is there anything we can do, or should i just whip out that local only bandwidth?

waynegohl

Ancient Astronaut
we had to email telkom and they said we must do this and that cause they see some activity in my account but its such a schlep.

craig1196

change your passwords. thats all u can really do, look it takes telkom ages to come fix ur line, think they'll just jump and find out what has been downloaded? ffirst they need ur consent so yeah. You'll have more luck seeing snow in JHb than that.

Pohm

So, i found my problem.. Some thing called DNA, i found it when i opened my control panel, i dont know where the hell it comes from.. but it killed my cap.. and hope no1 else will get it.

DeadCore

Expert Member
did it happen last month cause all my friends and me got capped between 4and11 of the last month.

DjStyles

Expert Member
So, i found my problem.. Some thing called DNA, i found it when i opened my control panel, i dont know where the hell it comes from.. but it killed my cap.. and hope no1 else will get it.

DNA?.... could you elaborate on what it is doing?

quik1

Same thing happened to me last month. My usage jumped from 49% to 102% in 1 day.
What made me worry was that my phone line was off for 2 days when it happened. Sent an email to abuse@telkom. They then told me to get a case number and issue them with a section 205 subpoena. Police got back to me last week saying that they can only start to investigate in January. Same thing is happening again this month. I have 2 telkom usernames, and the 1 that i leave unused until my 1st one is capped has all of a sudden been used up. And this without it even being setup on my router. Somehow telkom is screwing us over and blamimg hackers for it. Who else has our usernames and passwords?

TechMall

This is now a way too common problem.

A friend of mine took this up with Telkom and this was their repsonse:

Thank you for emailing Telkom Internet Abuse.

We have reviewed your logs which indicates that your connection was used from different locations. If this was not authorized by you and require further investigation, you will need to
report this to your local police station and obtain a case number. A Section 205 subpoena will then need to be made out against us so we can issue the police with the details of where the connections were made from.

______How to obtain a Subpoena____________________________________________________

Please note that the following information is to be added on to the subpoena.

First of all, it is very important to make the Section 205 Subpoena out against Telkomsa.

On the subpoena the following must be requested:

1. The telephone number associated with the ports identified.
2. The registered owner details of the telephone numbers identified.
3. The physical installation address of the telephone numbers identified.

Please remember to add your username details.

Once the subpoena has been received by the investigating officer, the investigating officer has to hand the original subpoena to their Technical Support Unit (TSU). The officer at the TSU
will know who the identified person in Telkom is to accept the subpoena on our behalf.

In the interim we strongly suggest that you change your internet password. Go to the ADSL Password Tool at http://www.telkomsa.net.

If you are using an ADSL router, we recommend that you also change that password.

Security has to start with the ADSL router as all ADSL routers are despatched with a factory default setting for the administration of control functions. Normally a router can be accessed from both the internet and your PC. However if the adminstration password is not reset to something of your choice then any malicious Internet user will gain access to the same functions from the Internet and in doing so will extract from the router your username and password, and it can be done in a matter of seconds.

Prevention can be achieved by, either changing the adminstrator username and password or by activating the router to what is called "bridged mode". The Bridged mode option then requires you the user,to make use of a PPPoE session which then requires a "click" to connection option versus a "always on option"

It is also advisable to make sure that the firewall on the router is enabled.

Should you experience difficulties in making the necessary changes to your router, kindly contact our helpdesk on 10215 and an agent will assist you.

Kind regards,

Telkom Internet Abuse

wHiTe*LiGhTnInG

yeah screw these okes who do this,, they must get nocked down. U dudes must not be lazy to go out and get this thing from the police station, its not much of a mission anyways...dont just change the passwords and leave it.

RedhotNeo

Expert Member
yeah screw these okes who do this,, they must get nocked down. U dudes must not be lazy to go out and get this thing from the police station, its not much of a mission anyways...dont just change the passwords and leave it.

Yeah... thieves must pay for stealing....

Bandwith in this country is not cheap and who knows how many ppl are affected by these thieves

Its bad enough that we have the highest crime rate in the world, dont let us have the worst internet crime rate aswell

Sherbang

Executive Member