CCTV network setup - HOW?

ggsmit

hi there,
i live slightly far from the big city [cape town] so i went along and got:

1. 4x 4mm, 480htv lines ir video cameras
  2. 1x 8ch dahua h.264 card for my pc [win7 home and 1x1tb external which will be dedicated for the cctv]
  3. 1x 150m rg59 coax cable [has power cable]
  4. 1x 12v 10a 120w switching power supply

my wife runs a medical practice and i want to install the cctv for improved security.

at the practice there is a telkom duoplus 300wr router to which 3 pcs are connected [mine too], we run on telkom broadband 384 uncapped.

now i want to install the cctv that it runs through the router so that i can access the cctv software from each pc [if that is not possible at least mine, the 1tb hd and card will also be at my pc]

as i see it if i run the cctv signals through the router i will also be able to watch the situation at the practice from off site via a laptop or smart phone.

thats more or less my situation, due to being out in the platteland i thought i'd rig the system myself, but it now seems the physical part is the least of my worries so any help will be appreciated.

God bless
gabriel

chrisc

Executive Member
The capture card should have come with local viewing and remote viewing software.

You need to register on DynDNS to get a fixed IP address for your PC which is storing the images/to which the capture card is connected. They will provide you with a password and web address to connect remotely to your PC. 384k is too slow for more than 1 camera at a time, if there is activity there. Just type in the address in your browser (suggest Internet Explorer) and you will see what is happening

PsyWulf

Honorary Master
You'd need to first work out if this DVR card and software even has remote viewing capability,then configure port forwarding accordingly for offsite viewing and if it is network capable configure it for that

Buying a seperate card for use on a Win7 machine has really just added a point of failure for the setup,it really is best to get dedicated hardware for anything like this,i've done card-based and physical DVR kit installations and you can guess which one I prefer ;)

hunter30

a dedicated dvr is better - though I can assure you the 384 line will be very very slow.
We have 10meg line in our jhb branch and only the dvr is connected and we get intermittend movement fo the camara's their, even with low quality streaming. I would suggest upgrading the line to at least 1 meg

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
a dedicated dvr is better - though I can assure you the 384 line will be very very slow.
We have 10meg line in our jhb branch and only the dvr is connected and we get intermittend movement fo the camara's their, even with low quality streaming. I would suggest upgrading the line to at least 1 meg

Strange,
We have a 4meg line and when connecting to the dvr remotely it takes around 10 seconds then all the cameras move at around 15 frames a second.

PsyWulf

Honorary Master
Strange,
We have a 4meg line and when connecting to the dvr remotely it takes around 10 seconds then all the cameras move at around 15 frames a second.

Same here,not HD mind you but viewable

ggsmit

well, i now have the card - if it turns out such a bad option i'll have to look at the dvr recorder. it is mostly a matter of convenience. my system specs are:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2300 CPU @ 2.80GHz 2.80 GHz
Installed memory (RAM): 4.00 GB (2.99 GB usable)
System type: 32-bit Operating System
and lots of hd space.
apart from that physical space is at a premium.

PsyWulf

Honorary Master
I got a kguard 8 channel with 4 cameras for ~R3300,cabling I only use Cat5 with Cat5 to BNC converters,saves loads of effort with cabling,and with a 2TB drive it can store about 3 months worth of footage continuous on 8 cameras

FNfal

Executive Member
You have the equipment get it up and running and then decide what to do .
384 not going to cut it ,but get to that later .

hsmnel

Should be easy to setup. Have a similar system with a celeron and el-cheapo 4 channel card and it is working quite well. The card should have software for viewing and instructions for viewing in IE/Browsers. I view my cameras on the dedicated PC + 3 others on the network. To view externally you will need to forward the correct ports as used by the cards software on your router.

Bought this - http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/6649...CCTV_Security_Digital_Video_Recorder_8ch.html for less than a R1000 a few weeks ago as the PC was starting to pack up. Took 10 minutes to install and a bit longer to set the correct ports (because I did not read the manual) and now have cellphone viewing as well.

Base122

You have the equipment get it up and running and then decide what to do .
384 not going to cut it ,but get to that later .

Agreed.
Seeing as you have already bought all the equioment, get it set up and running and the folks around here will help as best they can when it comes to registering a Dynamic host name (DDNS), port forwarding and so on.

Don't upgrade the line just yet.
Lets see what can be done on the 384k by playing around with resolutions and frame rates first and then take it from there.

You might even want to consider your own wireless link from the practice to the place you would normally want to monitor from. (if a fixed position, distance dependent, line of sight etc.)

Bit of a higher initial equipment cost, but will save on data costs in the long term.