Cell C launching LTE-Advanced soon

Noob-Noob

Executive Member
While you launch the LTA Advance, maybe turn on 3G and normal LTE in Pretoria CBD and Midrand as well?, Few people here that would appreciate it.

Swa

Honorary Master
138Mbps is far removed from the envisioned 1Gbps. Seems LTE-A isn't all it's cracked up to be.

jmak

Spectrum spectrum spectrum... If operators were to switch off 2g and 3g networks, doubled the antennas on each mast eith the latest and greatest (and most expensive) antennas doubled the cost spent on each base station installing R&D software, and you had an engineering handset with external antennas from Qualcomm you could get those speeds in an very good coverage. But in the real world today first-world networks can maybe roll out a 300Mbps connection for a small subset of phones. Most active LTE phones today is still limited to 150Mbps.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Spectrum spectrum spectrum... If operators were to switch off 2g and 3g networks, doubled the antennas on each mast eith the latest and greatest (and most expensive) antennas doubled the cost spent on each base station installing R&D software, and you had an engineering handset with external antennas from Qualcomm you could get those speeds in an very good coverage. But in the real world today first-world networks can maybe roll out a 300Mbps connection for a small subset of phones. Most active LTE phones today is still limited to 150Mbps.
I still believe that the operators should refarm 98% of the spectrum allocated to 2G and deploy that refarmed spectrum on 3G and 4G. Just keep enough spectrum available for 2G for old handsets to make calls and send SMS.

jmak

I believe all operators are already bypassing the 100% marker given ICASA regulation requirements on licences and 2G technology limitations. And don't forget that the largest portion of SA does not have the means to buy R500 phones capable of 3G.

sajunky

Honorary Master
I believe all operators are already bypassing the 100% marker given ICASA regulation requirements on licences and 2G technology limitations. And don't forget that the largest portion of SA does not have the means to buy R500 phones capable of 3G.
There was already a call in other thread for switching off 2G completely. General consensus was that 2G should definitely stay as is important, but future of 3G is not certain at this moment. Not so firm as future of 2G.

Swa

Honorary Master
I still believe that the operators should refarm 98% of the spectrum allocated to 2G and deploy that refarmed spectrum on 3G and 4G. Just keep enough spectrum available for 2G for old handsets to make calls and send SMS.
There was already a call in other thread for switching off 2G completely. General consensus was that 2G should definitely stay as is important, but future of 3G is not certain at this moment. Not so firm as future of 2G.
The irony as was pointed out in the other thread is that 3G reception is poor as a result of placing emphasis on 2G, thereby causing fallback to 2G. As I recall there was no actual consensus to keep 2G.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
The irony as was pointed out in the other thread is that 3G reception is poor as a result of placing emphasis on 2G, thereby causing fallback to 2G. As I recall there was no actual consensus to keep 2G.
Or keep 2G for now, but look into network stats and using that, refarm the spectrum for 3G and 4G to such a extent in areas with high 3G and 4G penetration that only the minumum 2G spectrum is left over to keep voice calls and SMS's active on 2G.

For example, in areas like Sandton etc where 3G/4G penetration is high, refarm the maximum and redeploy it on the 3G/4G networks.