cell c LTE versus cell c fixed LTE

rory

Hi.
Is there anyone who can enlighten me on the technical difference between prepaid cell c LTE and cell c fixed LTE.
I have had a prepaid cell c sim in a router with roaming turned OFF at a fixed location and using uptime robot have had 100% uptime for over 2 weeks at least. It appears to be connecting to a cell c tower. If I do a manual search i find cell c 4g signal and it connects.
I have had downloads speeds between minimum of 15mb up to 50mb and uploads between 7 and 21mb.
The cell c fixed LTE map says no fixed LTE in this area at all.
How is this possible. Does it use another technology or are they blocking some towers or what other reason could there be excellent cell c LTE signal (100%) but no fixed LTE.
I have asked afrihost, axxess and cell c this question but no one can tell me the difference. Just I do not have coverage.
Other answers are one is LTE the other is FIXED LTE. Not good enough for my inquiring mind.
thanks

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator
https://www.cellc.co.za/cellc/lte-home
WHAT IS FIXED LTE?
Cell C brings you reliable and super-fast internet for your home or office. It provides connectivity to all Wi-Fi enabled devices when connected to a LTE-enabled CPE Router. Connect up to 32 devices on a CPE Router making it easier for you and your staff to all be connected with super-fast internet.

With LTE being faster than 3G, you will experience faster online gaming, video streaming, music and app downloads. Get the better data experience with network-enhanced quality. LTE gives you a faster internet experience with speeds of up to 69Mbps download and up to 25Mbps upload. Check whether you have coverage to ensure the best possible speeds.
Well, their website is useless.

@Cell_C can you explain the difference?

ProAsm

Expert Member
LOL, I don't think they even know what LTE is, I have a Cell C tower about 400 meters up the road and can see the whole of it.
I borowed a B618 modem router with a Cell C sim in it and averaged around 20 to 35 Mbps all times of the day with the built in antennae.
I then tried to get a sim out of Cell C and even Afrihost, but no-one would let me have a sim as they all said I do not have coverage at my house.
I am now on Telkom LTE which the tower is 2+ km from here and aquired a poynting antenna and now I enjoy an average of 85 Mbps.
Cell C can go jump in the lake.

Cell_C

Cell C Representative
Company Rep
LOL, I don't think they even know what LTE is, I have a Cell C tower about 400 meters up the road and can see the whole of it.
I borowed a B618 modem router with a Cell C sim in it and averaged around 20 to 35 Mbps all times of the day with the built in antennae.
I then tried to get a sim out of Cell C and even Afrihost, but no-one would let me have a sim as they all said I do not have coverage at my house.
I am now on Telkom LTE which the tower is 2+ km from here and aquired a poynting antenna and now I enjoy an average of 85 Mbps.
Cell C can go jump in the lake.
Hi ProAsm

Please PM us your residential address so that we can check on the available level of coverage in your area.

^MP

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator
The difference between the two is the one is portable(normal LTE) and other is fixed to one location, usually home or business(Fixed LTE).
Does this mean a SIM card is paired with a base station at a particular location and cannot be used anywhere else?

According to this article, Cell-C partnered with Internet Solutions for their fixed LTE service:
https://mybroadband.co.za/news/business-telecoms/245612-internet-solutions-and-cell-c-partner-for-fixed-lte-data-packages.html

rory

I have spent quite a long time doing research on this and asking cell c, axxess and afrihost with very little clarity besides one is fixed and the other is not and I have no fixed LTE.

Then suddenly a friend kindly found this comment on mybroadband from member Sumen at this link.
https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/lte-vs-fixed-lte.994630/#post-22587514

"With Fixed LTE - you only allowed to connect to towers that have been allocated for this use, you won't be able to roam on other networks, also majority time it's either 4G or no Internet.

With LTE you can connect to any tower with the ability to roam - you also can connect to 3G.etc"

Cell C rep is this correct ie the cell c tower I am connecting to is not a cell c tower and you are masking mtn or vodacom towers and making them look like cell c towers ie no roaming on my phone or router.

KarlWalt

Hi Guys,

This is still very a relevant post...

I have three van's kitted out as mobile offices driving around Gauteng, each with a Huawei B618 Router and a 50GB Axxess Cellc Fixed LTE SIMs. These have been working for the last year with no issues.
They work everywhere that has Cellc coverage. Unfortunately they do not roam at all, but this is few and far between so doesn't affect us much in city areas.

I also haven't been able to find out exactly what the difference is between LTE and Fixed LTE except roaming, as I found out the hard way.