Cell C - no network, but signed up. Not impressed

MSB

Late last year my mom was staying in Kommetjie.
I was looking into mobile broadband options for her.
Called her one day and she was in CellC @ Long Beach Mall busy signing up for a mobile broadband contract.
I told her she needed to put it on hold so i could check which network provider had the best coverage.
She left the Cell C store WITHOUT taking the sim or router with her.
I called them to find out what the situation was and it turned out that she had already signed the contracted and Cellc had sent it in for processing.

It turned out that CellC did not have coverage at her address. I would expect them to check this as the Southern Peninsula in general has poor coverage on all networks.

I called and spoke to the manager of the store. After arguing with me for a while she eventually agreed to cancel the contract at no cost to my mom - she had not even taken the router or sim after all and she didnt even realise she had concluded any contract.

About a month later my mom noticed that she had been billed for cancellation. I went into the store with her and spoke to the same manager again - she agreed to refund the fee.
Another month later and no refund. My mom went into the store again, but the manager refuses to assist.

I am not getting anywhere speaking to them, so perhaps CellC would oblige and assist here?

Surely when someone who is clearly not technologically advanced comes into the store you would check that they have coverage before signing them up?

Cell_C

Cell C Representative
Company Rep
Hi MSB

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention.

Please PM us your mother's ID number as well as an alternative contact number.

Our team will assist you.

^NT

ld13

Honorary Master
I would expect them to check this as the Southern Peninsula in general has poor coverage on all networks.
Odd. The first thing the consultant did when we went to sign up, was to ask for our address and then proceeded to check that we had ample coverage.

MSB

Odd. The first thing the consultant did when we went to sign up, was to ask for our address and then proceeded to check that we had ample coverage.
yeah telkom did that when signing up for a mobile data contract

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
yeah telkom did that when signing up for a mobile data contract
I can't remember the Telkom rep asking me that, but I definitely told the rep that I tested with a prepaid SIM.