Cell C Speed Test Results

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator
This thread is for posting speed test results. Currently speedtest.net is the most popular speed test, but feel free to post screenshots of your download manager, your console or even your mobile phone.

When using speedtest.net, don't just click 'Begin Test', rather choose the Johannesburg server (let your mouse hover over the star to see the choices) for local speed tests and the London server for international speed tests. Currently Cell-C have no peering links in any other cities in South Africa, so all traffic goes via Johannesburg, similarly we only have international links to London. It may be interesting to note the name of the server as well, e.g. Cell-C, Vodacom, Namesco, TranceFM, etc. to see whether this has any bearing on the results.

Please include your signal strength (RSSI) in dBm where possible.
How to check signal strength (RSSI)

It is also useful to know your location, especially if you are reporting a connection problem. To change your location in your MyBroadband profile, click My Profile in the blue band in the top-right corner of the page, then click on the About Me tab, then click on the pencil icon next to Location.

While a link to your speedtest.net results is handy to prove your results, please also include your results in the body of your post otherwise they are likely to be ignored.

From http://www.cellc.co.za/internet/page/quick_links/speed-test :
To ensure that you receive the most accurate results from your speed test, make sure that you choose the Johannesburg server to test from. Do not choose the server closest to your physical location, since the server closest to Cell C's Data Centre dictates the overall speed that you will get from Cell C's network.

Last edited:

guy3g

Best Download

Best Latency

Best Upload

Could every one post their best speed test on all the networks on this thread. Best Upload, download and best latency

Last edited:

Synaesthesia

Executive Member
Say WHAT? 12 megabits per second? Holy crap that must be on the unreleased 3G network. Well I'm looking forward to the pricing on that.

Smiley_lauf

Expert Member
i thought it was always R999/yr with 2GB monthly cap for 12 months or R2000/yr with 5GB monthly cap for 12 months? It is an open secret!

EasyUp Web Hosting

EasyUp Web Hosting
Company Rep
Best Download

Best Latency

Best Upload

Could every one post their best speed test on all the networks on this thread. Best Upload, download and best latency
Why do they differ so much? Is one taken with the modem in the air, other with the modem on the ground and the last one with the modem wrapped in tinfoil or something? :confused:

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
i hope you can buy data bundles separately , got contract with them so ready to buy!!

RichardG

Honorary Master
How come are the dates different, I want to see the dates of today... I cannot wait for pricing either, might go and buy me 2 if the prepaid offering is right

Tim182

Expert Member
Really want to know where this was. Cape Town is not online yet and that was supposed one of the first cities to go online

Colin62

Executive Member
Why do they differ so much? Is one taken with the modem in the air, other with the modem on the ground and the last one with the modem wrapped in tinfoil or something? :confused:
Worries me a bit that if the speeds change that much during testing. How stable is it going to be when it's live?

EasyUp Web Hosting

EasyUp Web Hosting
Company Rep
Worries me a bit that if the speeds change that much during testing. How stable is it going to be when it's live?
I think they saw how many people want to give CellC's new 3G a try and realized that their network won't be able to handle it, so they postponed to do some more upgrades. :D

Leno

CellC HSPA+

A Few speed tests done from Lorraine, PE

Will post some from summerstrand tomorrow

Leno

Speedtest.net isnt long enough to get any momentum so I did a download manager test

Last edited:

Tim182

Expert Member
Speedtest.net isnt long enough to get any momentum so I did a download manager test

I shouldn't need to get momentum. Nice to see those speeds but far off 21MBit, wonder how many people will even get more than 10

Leno

I shouldn't need to get momentum. Nice to see those speeds but far off 21MBit, wonder how many people will even get more than 10
Thats also what I thought, def faster than my mtn 3g (will do speedtest tomorrow)

Obviously its 21mbit at the tower, but from what i recall on telkom 7mbit you get quite close to that?

Tim182

Expert Member
Thats also what I thought, def faster than my mtn 3g (will do speedtest tomorrow)

Obviously its 21mbit at the tower, but from what i recall on telkom 7mbit you get quite close to that?
That's why I am still very sceptic of CellC and their 3G network, their penetration has always been low, much fewer towers than MTN and Voda. PE is small and they have just launched the service so there are hardly any people using it and still you only get 3Mbit. What was your signal strength like when you tested?

Further, it worries me that they are delaying the bigger cities. They even say themselves that they want to test smaller areas first to avoid problems. Surely, it is just a 3G network which has been tested extensively by almost every provider worldwide and with the right equipment there shouldn't be anything preventing them from doing a nationwide launch. Yet, they are delaying the other cities which to me is a sign of either budget equipment or too small capacity. If they really believed in their own product it would be in their own interest to switch it on everywhere at the same time

tom110584

around 600kb/s for downloads is an excellent speed. i get around 120kb/s on vodacom 3g here in durban.

Leno

That's why I am still very sceptic of CellC and their 3G network, their penetration has always been low, much fewer towers than MTN and Voda. PE is small and they have just launched the service so there are hardly any people using it and still you only get 3Mbit. What was your signal strength like when you tested?

Further, it worries me that they are delaying the bigger cities. They even say themselves that they want to test smaller areas first to avoid problems. Surely, it is just a 3G network which has been tested extensively by almost every provider worldwide and with the right equipment there shouldn't be anything preventing them from doing a nationwide launch. Yet, they are delaying the other cities which to me is a sign of either budget equipment or too small capacity. If they really believed in their own product it would be in their own interest to switch it on everywhere at the same time
I was not running their software as it made my other osx apps crash! will do another signal test later with the software open

Their explanation at the launch for choosing pe was that they had not deployed much of the 900mhz frequency down here, so reassigning the frequencies to HSPA+ would be easier.
They call it re farming the frequencies and it makes sense, its going to be tricky re farming big metro's as they have to take into account the phone cababilities of their client base
and will they support the new voice frequency etc