Cell C terminating fixed-LTE

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
Cell C terminating fixed-LTE

Cell C is discontinuing its fixed-LTE services through Internet Solutions, shutting down the product's availability to other ISPs entirely.

This follows after the company's recent downgrade to "default" by S&P Global and the extension of its roaming agreement with MTN to help improve its financial position.

Last edited:

cavedog

Honorary Master
Well Afrihost sells Cellc fixed LTE as a direct product from Cellc. The data never even hits the IS network and instead direct hand over from Cellc to Afrihost AIR Mobile network so I'm guessing after IS Cellc started offering it directly to other ISPs also. They would probably have gotten the same notice then.

BradleyKZN

Expert Member
Can someone explain the difference between fixed LTE vs other LTE?
Fixed LTE generally works only in LTE routers and not mobile devices. So its more for at home, where the router will stay put.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Fixed LTE generally works only in LTE routers and not mobile devices. So its more for at home, where the router will stay put.
OK, so how does it work only in LTE routers? It's just a sim, right?

BradleyKZN

Expert Member
Yeah but it is possible to restrict usage to certain LTE routers, and they wont work in phones. (I haven't actually tried, only been told)

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
Downsizing their network?

Glad we have two contracts coming to an end soon... going to bail from that ship ASAP.

Was good when it lasted, not my fault they did not do due diligence and ensured their income was higher than their expenditures....

Thor

Honorary Master
Yeah but it is possible to restrict usage to certain LTE routers, and they wont work in phones. (I haven't actually tried, only been told)
Works in a phone, just dont fall back to 4g, 3g so if the phone is not in LTE range you won't have a signal.

DarkDragon

I don't think that's true. Fixed LTE is only LTE it doesn't drop down to a 3G or anything else. If you have no LTE coverage you cant get Fixed LTE.

All the fixed LTE i have tried all worked in Mobile devices.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Well there is only 1 product in SA that limits it to LTE routers only and that product which is the definition of Fixed LTE is Rain capped data that was sold by ISPs. Limited to certain LTE routers only.

Cellc sim works fine in phones although you will only have a data connection on LTE(4G) or LTE-A(4G+)

Works in a phone, just dont fall back to 4g, 3g so if the phone is not in LTE range you won't have a signal.
It does indeed fallback to 3G and 2G and you will have signal but data won't work. In a mifi it just shows disconnected but shows full 3G or 2G signal so basically just the data connection gets killed.

cavedog

Honorary Master
BTW got a Cellc Sim only deal from Afrihost like 2 weeks back. What will happen to this then?

Thor

Honorary Master
It does indeed fallback to 3G and 2G and you will have signal but data won't work. In a mifi it just shows disconnected but shows full 3G or 2G signal so basically just the data connection gets killed.
That is what I meant.

richjdavies

I think when fixed-LTE first came out they also limited the number of changes of base station you could have. So once you've setup LTE at your home, it wouldn't hand over as you travel, but not sure if that stayed.

I think it started because if regulatory restriction -- RAIN was not allowed to be 'mobile' to begin with...

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Looks like I dodged a bullet by not joining Axxess or Afrihost for Cell C data. This really sucks for current users.

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
BTW got a Cellc Sim only deal from Afrihost like 2 weeks back. What will happen to this then?
You can ask any of the Afri* reps on the forum.

Either you'll get a refund, or out of jail ticket (if it's a contract).

cavedog

Honorary Master
You can ask any of the Afri* reps on the forum.

Either you'll get a refund, or out of jail ticket (if it's a contract).
They responded saying the cancellation applies to IS resold products only and not their products. So for now it's going ahead as normal.

SHL

100 and 200 GB packages will end 31Oct'19.
The other lower packages will end 31Dec'19.