Cheapest courier to send international parcels?

sue-zee

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum so hope I'm posting in the right category :)

I'm busy launching my own little online store and would like to market to international clients too. My problem is delivering the items there without the courier charges being more than the actual item and still making it worth while to buy.

I also don't want the checkout to be a tedious process and would like to be able to be upfront with clients as to what shipping will cost them before they proceed to checkout, so would prefer to have a fixed rate.

Are there any couriers that offer a fixed rate / one rate for international parcels? Like the service Courier Guy offers for local deliveries?

My only option at the moment is to use SAPO normal parcels, but I am worried about reliability and it will also take much longer than a courier which might prevent clients from placing an order. SAPO also have the speed service option, which is cheaper than most, but some Zones/Counties are still quite expensive and can be as much as R1200 - R2000 (which in most cases is more than the item itself).

Would appreciated feedback and advice!

R.V

Banned
All private couriers are damned expensive if you want to send abroad. SAPO is a huge risk, but if you are looking at offering affordable shipping abroad, then I would say look at EMS. I have used them a few times. All my parcels are small and under 500g. I use their fastest shipping option and they charge me R450 per parcel.

I used them about 78 times this year alone and all 78 parcels were delivered, mainly in the US, within 7 days (the fastest parcel delivered was in 4 days from handing it in).

Although I hand the parcels to the Post Office, I have yet to get a single package that was not delivered in 7 days or one that went missing (touch wood....)

sue-zee

All private couriers are damned expensive if you want to send abroad. SAPO is a huge risk, but if you are looking at offering affordable shipping abroad, then I would say look at EMS. I have used them a few times. All my parcels are small and under 500g. I use their fastest shipping option and they charge me R450 per parcel.

I used them about 78 times this year alone and all 78 parcels were delivered, mainly in the US, within 7 days (the fastest parcel delivered was in 4 days from handing it in).

Although I hand the parcels to the Post Office, I have yet to get a single package that was not delivered in 7 days or one that went missing (touch wood....)

Thank you for your advice, I think EMS will be the way to go. Luckily there's a post office close to me ;)

ProfA

Honorary Master
Speak to [MENTION=190249]ScottulusMaximus[/MENTION] (he's on the forum).
https://www.scottshipping.co.za/

This ^. Had to return two PSU's to Corsair in America. Got quotes everywhere. Ranged from R1000 to R5000. Scott's got it done for about R700-R800 using one of the couriers that quoted me R1500 or thereabout LOL.

For heaven sake, stay away from the Post Office.

mister

Executive Member
I know everybody hates Aramex for incoming, but they were 1/3 of the cost for a recent quote compared to DHL for outgoing to China

rjay100

Thank you for your advice, I think EMS will be the way to go. Luckily there's a post office close to me ;)
Mind sharing what you ended up using? I want to sell clothing to international clients but the shipping rates from FEDEX / UPS are more expensive than the items :/