Choosing a laptop cooling solution

crazy_cat

Hi guys..

I need some advice on choosing a laptop cooling solution. I generally use my laptop a lot on my bed (directly on the comforter) which caused a heat retention and cooling issue. Typical usage time is about 8+ hours (incl when left on for overnight downloads). I guess the usage plays a big part in deciding what solution to choose. If it makes any difference, I am currently using a HP Probook - however I would like the solution to be laptop agnostic.

I have looked at the following products which interested me the most:
  1. Coolmaster Notepal U3 (with fans)
  2. Logitech N700
  3. Logitech Alto Connect

I guess I just need some advice about laptop cooling in general and possibly a recommendation on the type of solution that I should be looking for. Also if anyone has any experience using any of the above, your thoughts and comments will be appreciated. I am more than happy to entertain other types of solutions.

Tun@

Expert Member
Why not just buy a plastic breakfast tray.
Using a laptop in your bed is going to be the quickest way ever to clog up the inner cooling system - the fibres from the bed will clog up the cooling fins stopping air from being able to pass thru the fins eventually.
Temp monitoring program is a good idea - eg Core temp

Look at photo #2 & 5 here,this is what your doing to it
http://www.insidemylaptop.com/category/cooling-fan/page/8/

Last edited:

crazy_cat

Why not just buy a plastic breakfast tray.
Using a laptop in your bed is going to be the quickest way ever to clog up the inner cooling system - the fibres from the bed will clog up the cooling fins stopping air from being able to pass thru the fins eventually.
Temp monitoring program is a good idea - eg Core temp

Look at photo #2 & 5 here,this is what your doing to it
http://www.insidemylaptop.com/category/cooling-fan/page/8/

Kinda using a makeshift stand at the moment that's why im looking for something more long term

shogun

Expert Member
Hey

I'm in the same situation - work a lot on my couch. Someone got me the Logitech N100 the other day from Incredible Connection (sure you can find it elsewhere) (http://www.logitech.com/en-us/notebook-products/cooling-pads/devices/5493). I used to think that these laptop cooling pads would be useless, but this little puppy has proved me seriously wrong. It's actually pretty awesome. I can use the laptop for hours without feeling any heat.

Add it to the list of cooling pads you do your research into.

nakedpeanut

Expert Member
The concern I have with this one is that the air intake is from the bottom (and rear) vents so the cooling might be hampered.

not being funny but where else must it get the air from? You want it to push air up from the bottom? So it can only get air from the sides/rear and bottom of the unit...

crazy_cat

oh...sorry i guess my answer is weird...when compared to the products i have listed in the OP, the fans on those models are elevated further from the surface when compared to the X2, thus more airflow even on a soft surface like a bed. The X2 however is level to the surface, thus on a bed will be completely blocked and rendered useless.

crazy_cat

kinda late reply, but i though i update this thread with my eventual choice. I went with the Logitech N700 and have been using since mid-Jan. Laptop temp is clearly lower and the fan is quite silent. The speakers are quite good imo and for me the sound is perfect.
One thing though, the fan needed some cleaning to get the fluff out, but other than that its been real good.

Since my purchase, its become a hit with the family. The third one will be purchased this week.

Logitech N700 FTW!!!!