Chrome vs Firefox vs Internet Explorer in SA

fbman

The interesting thing that I noticed is the gradual rise of Safari -- indicative of Apple operating systems eating into Microsoft's share?
I think its the popularity of the ipad that is increasing its share.

I use firefox (PC) and safari (Ipad) to access mybroadband... so am I counted twice?

MickZA

Executive Member
Chrome does have one benefit over other browsers, and that's that you can transfer your bookmarks and preferences over to another device easily by signing in.
Don't follow, is Firefox sync lacking something?

snobee

I think as many universities and businesses shift over to Google Apps, often people start to use Chrome due to slightly better mail functionality. If you want "offline mail" in your browser I would think they would promote Chrome as the way to go for offline access? My choice used to be FF, but due to some of my web apps working faster with Chrome, I switched about a year ago. Now that I am using Google Apps and have many users that I am putting on my system, I see how Chrome can get publicity due to this.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
This is BS! All these surveys show that Chrome is in the lead. Sorry, but I don't buy this. I have loads of IT friends. Not one of them use it. Some tried but eventually returned to Firefox. I am sure Chrome is paying for these surveys.
This is only for visits to mybroadband

BGE

Expert Member
FireFox seems to have quite a large resource footprint. Check the RAM usage, compared to Chrome.

View attachment 92152
Correction Slootvreeter... FF keeps all it's workings(tabs) running under one thread(process). Chrome spawns a new process for each tab. To test I opened the same 8 random tabs in each browser, the results:

FF = 325mb (1 process, 8 tabs)
Chrome = 760mb (14 processes, for 8 tabs, that's resource wasting!!!)

So, sorry FF wins hands down in the resource usage department.

chrome_bloat.JPG

ff.JPG

Last edited:

sajunky

Honorary Master
+1 on above. I can't run Chrome on PC with low RAM. IE is much better. I posted it here, but programmers from MyBB stable started to laugh at me "open more tabs with IE, you will see". I do most of the time 6-8 tabs. Haven't tried firefox,
I use firefox (PC) and safari (Ipad) to access mybroadband... so am I counted twice?
I found Chrome disappointing on iPhone.

Last edited:

Impulse_One

I prefer firefox over chrome. I find chrome's minimalist design reducing some functions I use daily (like custom search box). I use chrome only for maps, which are processed faster in chrome than in firefox.

Regards mobile versions, firefox is best so far.
It is only browser that can play flash on websites. However, I find controls layout terrible.
Opera works best for websites that does not have mobile versions (handles multiple clickable elements if few pressed) and layout is great.

Last edited:

saor

Honorary Master
The last time I had chrome running it was unable to display a WYSIWYG editor for most forums when typing a reply. There was a plugin - but it took just a moment to initialize and got irritating. Wonder if this is still an issue because other than that the browser ran quite smooth.

StevenC

Expert Member
Correction Slootvreeter... FF keeps all it's workings(tabs) running under one thread(process). Chrome spawns a new process for each tab. To test I opened the same 8 random tabs in each browser, the results:

View attachment 92172

View attachment 92174
Thanks for posting this, it has been my number one issue with Chrome from day one. Yeah, sure it's snappy when you open it but just try load multiple background tabs and watch your PC lag for days. FF I can just keep popping background tabs while being able to scroll my current one.

FF Addons beat Chrome's hands down. Oh whats that, you can't download YouTube videos through your browser? Google say's it's a big no no! Enjoy dat tracking while you are using our overbloated, addon deprived spyware :)

ponder

Honorary Master
Average saffa still uses IE. We're not a very it progressive nation and just use what comes preinstalled with the os.

internaut

Well judging from this thread it's safe to assume that most MyBB users (ie tech savvy people) prefer FF over any other browser. Way da go FF!!

Petec

Expert Member
Well, my Chrome just upped and stopped displaying addthis and Facebook like boxes as of 2 days ago.
I have reinstalled flash, reinstalled Chrome and searched the net flat.
Same as last time this happened, we just have to wait and see when these 2 apps magically decide to run on Chrome again.

Slootvreter

Honorary Master

View attachment 92172

View attachment 92174
I am completely aware that Chrome keeps all the tabs as separate processes. The same tabs were open in FF and Chrome, and you tell me that Chrome is wasting resources here? Firefox uses a ridiculous 680 megs of RAM, and Chrome about 280.

Praeses

Expert Member
More processes = better. Good for PCs with more than one CPU core and more than one thread per core (Hyperthreading). Also, if one tab crashes for some reason, the whole browser doesn't crash. I used to use Fx (yes people, it's not abbreviated FF!) but moved over to Chrome because it's just so much faster and more stable. I don't mind it using lots of memory (although I don't observe it doing so often), I have 16GB just waiting to be used. It's using 450MB at the moment for 4 tabs and it's been running for over an hour with constant browsing and I haven't cleared the cache in ages.

Skerminkel

Expert Member
Regards mobile versions, firefox is best so far.
It is only browser that can play flash on websites. However, I find controls layout terrible.
Opera works best for websites that does not have mobile versions (handles multiple clickable elements if few pressed) and layout is great.
IIRC FF (sorry Praeses, but this makes more sense!) will kill flash later this year. April?

Objectively, it is good that there are a few good browsers around to choose from. A monopoly benefits no one.

Praeses

Expert Member
IIRC FF (sorry Praeses, but this makes more sense!)
I forgive you even though it's wrong :p
will kill flash later this year. April?

Objectively, it is good that there are a few good browsers around to choose from. A monopoly benefits no one.
So true. On my cellphone, the built in android browser (some form of chrome) works the best since it's a low-spec phone. Browsers like Firefox and Opera Mobile are way too slow. Opera Mini works OK, I used to use it all the time, but I find the built-in browser starts up faster and renders webpages a bit faster too. I still have Firefox installed on my PC because I enjoy seeing it develop and some extensions (e.g. to download youtube vids) I find quite useful. I use Chrome 99% of the time for browsing though.

On Linux I use Firefox since I find it a bit faster than Chrome. :)

_kabal_

Expert Member
if you use more than 10 tabs, a lot, then firefox is clearly better, thanks in part to tab mix plus

abbott10k

View attachment 92172

View attachment 92174
Chrome is a RAM hog, even on Android it's no different, so you're right. I'd say 80% of my mobile browsing is on Opera Mini, followed by Chrome. On desktop it's Chrome all the way, even installed it on my workstation at work. Haven't used IE in about a year or so.

bilal786

I prefer FF because of how the tabs open up and the resource that ff used, i trying Chrome and IE different not like at all.