Competitions on the web

amigaboi

Why can't people be bothered to enter online competitions, are they just too lazy or worried about their information being used and spammed to hell?

I have won numerous competitions on loads of local websites, the latest one being a luxury holiday in a 5 star place in Port Elizabeth. The competition was on their Nelson Mandela Bay website.

I also have a friend running a competition to win cellphones / smartphones on the cellucity facebook page and they have only had about 3 entries since it started at the beginning at the end of the month. I don't understand it!

Why are South Africans so lazy or are they seriously just afraid of spammers?

:wtf:

Venom Rush

Expert Member
I think that unless it's purely a competition website the odds of having people enter are slim.

katangeleus

Spam. I've entered one or two and then find I am spammed all the time so have given up on that.

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
I used to enter around 50 competitions a week (frogsluck, popular mechanics etc)

Gave up after doing so every week for over a year and simply not winning anything.

Yuu

Executive Member
RAS anyone???

Competitions are entered by thousands and the sad thing is our emails are sold in bulk for thousands of rands. If you follow the news, you would know S.A is notorious for being the leader in spamming.

@ Astotruf, don't give up, i trust you will win something soon ;-)

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
lol, tell that to RPM. Would love an ipad :)

Last thing I won was a parker pen at around age 8.

Venom Rush

Expert Member
So competition pages should be for everyone, not for the social webbers?
Clearly trying to get ranking...I bet you're going to post a link at some point directing people to your "friend's" competition...and if you do you can count on this thread being deleted very quickly.

amigaboi

I think the only people that can give away apple products is apple, they are so hoighty toighty about branding. BlackBerry give tonnes of devices away. My mate Barry just won a playbook and theres a site called makeme.co.za who are giving away a Blackberry, you just need to upload a photo. But can anyone really be bothered? It looks like it's turning into a baby photo competition! The current leader has some photoshopped picture of himself with a neon glow - obviously just has lots of friends to vote for him. I don't think anyone realises that most of the time, the winner is picked at random.

I really want to win a tab, I'll have to get my friend at cellucity to talk to samsung, apparently they also like to give loads of stuff away.

The new 10 inch looks awesome!

amigaboi

I just don't understand why people don't enter online competitions in this country when they are free, and yet I see soooo many people buying lottery tickets.
Maybe nothings for free and they are just harvesting email addresses...

waynegohl

Ancient Astronaut
I enter almost every competition I come across and have won on Popular Mechanics and here on this forum. I used to win n radio shows through the years. If you don't enter you do not stand a chance of winning anything.

Xzib1t

Expert Member
If the competition involves Facebook or and social media stuff I generally avoid it.

amigaboi

Yeah, I had a mate who just sat at home and entered 5FM competitions, he won loads. I wish i had the time, and the balls... if it involves speaking on the radio, it better be a blady good prize for me to enter and make a tit out of myself !

Inevitability

Expert Member
1. No FB
2. fear of spam (i abandoned 2 yahoo accounts, and I'm on my 2nd gmail account)
3. i never win

But i'd be lying is i said i NEVER enter competitions. I do enter the myBB ones, and i've tried my luck on the odd DStv competition

amigaboi

I used to enter Yebo Millionaires, Vodacom's sms lottery as it was free (one a week - send 9 letters to 32082) and it just fizzled out.

I just tried it again and it still works, I do love free competitions. All I have won on that is 12 free airtime though but it would be nice to win a million...

I go on the premise that if you enter a competition, the odds are 50/50... you either win or you don't.

waynegohl

Ancient Astronaut
but if you don't enter then your chances are 0% unless you get an sms from some competition you never entered.

SilverNodashi

Expert Member
I love competitions and enter every one I see. My last win was a HP 620 latop (which I sold for R5500). We've been going to the Kruger Park for free, for the past 4years now and I have 2 more holiday vouchers stuck to the fride. Our next trip is in November, and these 2 will be used sometime next year. In the past I've won a 32BG iPod Touch, some movie tickets, clothes, R700 Woolworths hampers, a Geforce 7900GTX graphics card which is n my wife's PC - to name a few things I can think of right now.

justtech

Hi amigaboi

Why do you think people can't be bothered? We get the feeling people absolutely love online competitions, and we should know, we run the biggest competitions site in South Africa, called Win Stuff We find all the online competitions and post them all in one place so you can easily find and enter the competitions you're interested in. We only post legitimate competitions which are open to South Africans so you know that when you enter a competition on our site, you can rest assured there will be a winner.