ComX Computers - Seagate Bad Experience

wikus

I purchased one of the Seagate hard drives that break so easily last year from ComX Computers and it failed about three months after purchasing it.

I returned the hard drive to them and they swopped it out for a new one (same model and brand).

Now the hard drive has failed yet again, all my data has been lost, and ComX Computers won't swop out the drive for a Western Digital that costs the same (even if it has a smaller capacity).

Is there anything I can do to force this shop to provide me with a similar product that doesn't have any defects?

I wouldn't recommend this shop to anyone. They are only a middleman between their supplier (I suspect it's Esquire) and the customer and they can't provide any after-sales support without consulting their supplier (which basically equates to time-wastage and the above-mentioned scenario).

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
Is there not a simple firmware fix to solve this problem?

ponder

Honorary Master
Is there not a simple firmware fix to solve this problem?
Yes, it only requires a small firmware flash to resolve the problem. Some people are either not aware of this or dont learn, I suspect the former is the case here.

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
Yes, it only requires a small firmware flash to resolve the problem. Some people are either not aware of this or dont learn, I suspect the former is the case here.
Indeed. All Seagate drives are sadly tainted with the threat of the .11 issues, despite the fact that it was only one series of drives affected, was it not?

sn3rd

Expert Member
If your drive was swapped fairly recently, you should have gotten the 7200.11 without the issue. I bought a 7200.11 1TB a short while ago and the firmware was already updated to a confirmed-working firmware. In addition, I entered the drive's serial number on the Seagate website and it confirmed that it was not affected.

ComX can't just swap you out for a completely different product without losing out.

I've dealt with ComX PLENTY of times. They have never been anything but helpful.

killadoob

Honorary Master
They won't swop it for another brand but you can demand they give the latest stock from seagate which does not fail. They can go to their suppliers and demand a newer seagate model, the same thing happened with my 1tb got swopped out for the ame model and died again i went in and demanded a new drive with a different model no or my money back.

wikus

They won't swop it for another brand but you can demand they give the latest stock from seagate which does not fail. They can go to their suppliers and demand a newer seagate model, the same thing happened with my 1tb got swopped out for the ame model and died again i went in and demanded a new drive with a different model no or my money back.
According to ComX, they can only exchange for exact same BRAND and MODEL.

killadoob

Honorary Master
Yea w.m that may be the case for hdd's that are not failing but seagate have said there is a problem and acknowledge it, in this case they should demand it because this is not a once off thing, all of the drives are failing on certain models it is just the time frame that differs.

.10? strange

ponder

Honorary Master
According to ComX, they can only exchange for exact same BRAND and MODEL.
Then get the same brand/model and flash the drive before you do anything with it. Problem solved.

killadoob

Honorary Master
Ponder flashing does not always work and as i found out with my 2 1tb drives that died, the last one had the most up to date firmware.

ponder

Honorary Master
Ponder flashing does not always work and as i found out with my 2 1tb drives that died, the last one had the most up to date firmware.
The 1TB drives have other issues besides firmware agreed. Dunno, does the OP have a 1TB+ drive?