Cool Ideas hit by another DDoS attack

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
Cool Ideas hit by another DDoS attack

Cool Ideas is currently experiencing another major DDoS attack which is affecting the connectivity of its customers across South Africa.

Customers have experienced intermittent outages throughout the day, with issues being reported from around 11:00 on Wednesday 18 December 2019.

Ianf1

Expert Member
Ping: 5ms
Download: 47.16Mbps
Upload: 5.09Mbps
Local is fine according to the mybb speed test

j0766

I'm curious - what is the best way to monitor the size of a DDoS attack? As a customer of CI, I learnt a lot about this in the last few months as this the third one in as many months. The last time I found https://ioda.caida.org/ioda/dashboard/alerts where I was able to search for Cool Ideas under AS37680 to get an idea of the attacks continuing and the size. Now they do not appear on any list as yet??!

xefor

I'm curious - what is the best way to monitor the size of a DDoS attack? As a customer of CI, I learnt a lot about this in the last few months as this the third one in as many months. The last time I found https://ioda.caida.org/ioda/dashboard/alerts where I was able to search for Cool Ideas under AS37680 to get an idea of the attacks continuing and the size. Now they do not appear on any list as yet??!
This data is only known by Cool Ideas itself. Probably in a day or two you can ask Cool Ideas on the forums here what the size is.

j0766

I think it is possible to see the attacks at least on the ioda website but I couldn't track anything down for Cool Ideas as yet. I don't know the AS numbers for other ISPs but I did see Cell C on the list with activity 10 minutes ago

access

Executive Member
wonder if these are distractions to another more serious attack going on or being attempted.

seems unusual to target an isp like this

flarkit

Executive Member
wonder if these are distractions to another more serious attack going on or being attempted.

/conspiracymode
If you add in the (exploratory) attempts at the banks and the Jhb muni, there could be some merit to that theory.

mercurial

MyBB Legend
How are they still not able to pinpoint the culprit(s)? You'd think in this day and age with all our technology...

Swa

Honorary Master

If you eat an elephant you do it one piece at a time.