Cool Ideas hits back at Openserve criticism

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
Cool Ideas hits back at Openserve criticism

Cool Ideas recently announced fibre price increases on the Openserve and Vumatel networks which will come into effect from 1 March 2020.

Cool Ideas explained that all of the fibre networks that they offer products through operate on an open-access principle where ISPs lease the line from the fibre network at a wholesale price.

mister

Executive Member
Maybe that Sars IT woman works at Telkom now and has no idea how things work?

akescpt

Honorary Master
always subject to a form of monopoly with internet access...

Jack_Hammond

"Sure the burger price has increased by R12, but we supersized your fries for free at a total value of R20, so in fact WE are paying YOU R8 now for your happy meal!"

PhreakBoy

Executive Member
I must admit that I've lost a lot of respect for Cool Ideas this last year. It feels as if their knee jerk reaction is always to shift the blame and then when they're called out on it they come with round about explanations.

Between the DDoS attacks and now the price increases.

Prices go up, let us know, but don't try and shift blame to Vuma / Openserve / whoever else... just so you don't have to be the bad guy.

Reactions: Swa

dj2381

Expert Member
“Unfortunately, annual price increases and package changes from Openserve are a reality, and not something we control, and this year we are forced to increase some of our subscriptions,”

So Cool Ideas lied here? or what am I missing?

Tinuva

The Magician
I must admit that I've lost a lot of respect for Cool Ideas this last year. It feels as if their knee jerk reaction is always to shift the blame and then when they're called out on it they come with round about explanations.

Between the DDoS attacks and now the price increases.

Prices go up, let us know, but don't try and shift blame to Vuma / Openserve / whoever else... just so you don't have to be the bad guy.
What about the explanation is "round about" ? Or do you not understand how that added cost to the ISP?

Tinuva

The Magician
“Unfortunately, annual price increases and package changes from Openserve are a reality, and not something we control, and this year we are forced to increase some of our subscriptions,”

So Cool Ideas lied here? or what am I missing?
I don't think so, they could have been more clear in their original statement however where the added cost is from. But it is a sneaky way of Openserv to get more money by upping the line part which then force the ISP to buy more IPC to keep up with the new customer bandwidth demand.

PhreakBoy

Executive Member
What about the explanation is "round about" ? Or do you not understand how that added cost to the ISP?
I don't think so, they could have been more clear in their original statement however where the added cost is from. But it is a sneaky way of Openserv to get more money by upping the line part which then force the ISP to buy more IPC to keep up with the new customer bandwidth demand.
Do you always answer yourself? :D

The round about part is that it is not a direct cost as a result of the increased fibre lines price as originally stated, but a cost as a result of something completely different.

Sorry to have insulted your bestest supplier.

r00igev@@r

Expert Member
Simple question to telkom. Has the difference in the input and output costs narrowed for an ISP using OpenServe?

Tinuva

The Magician

The round about part is that it is not a direct cost as a result of the increased fibre lines price as originally stated, but a cost as a result of something completely different.

NO apology needed, they not my current ISP.
Looks like you didn't understand my question either, the line speed increase was a direct cost increase, looks like you just don't understand how the Openserv model works.

What is funny, is how your post was equally roundabout by your own explanation.

S.Claus

Just like the rest of the country, there are way more people employed with ridiculous salaries then necessary driving prices up. How many times have I seen 5+ guys standing around watching one guy dig a trench and then they have to wait for another team to lay down the cables and then a separate team to close the trench (half of them don't even have a clue what's going on). Simply put they need to cut off the dead weight and ensure each team can do their job efficiently (the faster they role out in an area the faster they can start collecting money). On the plus side, Openserve is rarely down and I can count on one hand the number of times they had capacity issues during peak hours.

Tl;dr More Openserve customers fewer overheads equal lower cost.

r00igev@@r

Expert Member

Eish! Maybe a picture will help.
The full path is
Home<-last mile-><-back-haul-><-open serve-><-IPC-><-ISP-><-Internet->
The actual fibre line is
Home<-last mile-><-back-haul-><-open serve-><-IPC->
This is pretty what you call a fibre line which connects to squat and provides 0 Mb/s
Home<-last mile-><-back-haul-><-open serve->

Maybe MyBB can draw pictures for the Telkom as well. Maybe Cool Ideas can resend their circular with a picture????

PhreakBoy

Executive Member
NO apology needed, they not my current ISP.
Looks like you didn't understand my question either, the line speed increase was a direct cost increase, looks like you just don't understand how the Openserv model works.

What is funny, is how your post was equally roundabout by your own explanation.
My bad - sorry to have insulted your employer.

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep

Feel free to check Afrihost's view on the matter, as submitted to the competition commission.

Tinuva

The Magician
My bad - sorry to have insulted your employer.
I work for an international company. So you dont have to apologize for that either.

What I can say is, welcome to my ignore list. You get your post count up by trolling or showing your ignorance and complete lack of understanding. I don't know, perhaps you just a troll. Bye.