Cool Ideas or Home Connect

Swa

Honorary Master
It is a pity there is an activation fee with HC, I can get a 50/50 with them for almost the same than I pay for a 20/20 with CISP.

Will definitely keep an eye on them in regards to up time and support. If the economy keeps putting pressure on us, I will have to look at them.
That activation fee is charged by Vumatel.

dotdan

No Vumatel has a R1700 installation fee, that R999 is what Home Connect charges to connect you to the service. Some ISP’s charge a connection fee and some dont. I don’t get why though.

deonmoodley

No Vumatel has a R1700 installation fee, that R999 is what Home Connect charges to connect you to the service. Some ISP’s charge a connection fee and some dont. I don’t get why though.
Some ISPs absorb that R999 others pass it on to the end user. Vumatel charges the ISP the R999 for a new connection.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
It depends on your needs. This has been discussed before. Cool Ideas is not the cheapest and in fact I can't even find them before the 4th page where most ISPs already had their entry level packages. They are basically the Vodacom of ISPs so you mostly get what you pay for but it's expensive although not as expensive with all the competition in the space.

A lot of people go for capped packages which are just as good but cheaper. You might think it defeats the purpose of fibre but many people prefer the speed and reliability of fibre but don't need uncapped so will rather choose to pay less. Cool Ideas doesn't have that option unfortunately and heck, even Vodacom beats them with uncapped.
Unfortunately those are the majority of the requests, apologies if they didn't provide more attention to your query. I'm happy to answer your questions whenever so don't be shy to ask directly.

Which package are you signing up for as this determines the router. And yes you can use your own router.

Swa

Honorary Master
Some ISPs absorb that R999 others pass it on to the end user. Vumatel charges the ISP the R999 for a new connection.
As I understand they charge that every time they configure a connection. So it's not just for entirely new connections or that's how it used to be, don't know if they changed. The ISPs that absorb it are generally the more expensive ones. This is a charge that should go as it's not like they're charging you for installing a new connection or a router but basically for running a script.

Unfortunately those are the majority of the requests, apologies if they didn't provide more attention to your query. I'm happy to answer your questions whenever so don't be shy to ask directly.

Which package are you signing up for as this determines the router. And yes you can use your own router.
What query? I'm not signing up for a package but stating what I would go for. And I'm not sure what you mean by majority of the requests.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Majority of requests to connect are based around new signups. I am a bit confused as you said you wanted to know which router you get, so I would need to know which package you are signing up for.

Swa

Honorary Master
Majority of requests to connect are based around new signups. I am a bit confused as you said you wanted to know which router you get, so I would need to know which package you are signing up for.
Nope I didn't. You might be confusing me with someone else.

stefan9

Executive Member
It depends on your needs. This has been discussed before. Cool Ideas is not the cheapest and in fact I can't even find them before the 4th page where most ISPs already had their entry level packages. They are basically the Vodacom of ISPs so you mostly get what you pay for but it's expensive although not as expensive with all the competition in the space.

A lot of people go for capped packages which are just as good but cheaper. You might think it defeats the purpose of fibre but many people prefer the speed and reliability of fibre but don't need uncapped so will rather choose to pay less. Cool Ideas doesn't have that option unfortunately and heck, even Vodacom beats them with uncapped.
That is only on openserve . They aren't expensive at all on frogfoot. In fact their 100mbps offer is cheaper then quite a few.

Swa

Honorary Master
That is only on openserve . They aren't expensive at all on frogfoot. In fact their 100mbps offer is cheaper then quite a few.
Guess it depends on the network. Don't know what all the factors are. On Vumatel they are quite far down the line. Even their 4-1 is R609.

Swa

Honorary Master
Ok I just checked. Vumatel charges R1725 for the physical installation and CPE. This I can understand if it's a once off and they don't charge again if you cancel the service.

But then they charge R999 for activation of the ISP. This is basically for running a script and used to be charged when you changed ISPs as well. I don't know if this is still the case and know this thread isn't about Vumatel but maybe Mybb should investigate this and ask why. This is the aspect I don't like of Vumatel and why I would have preferred another provider to roll out here as they keep chasing profits ever since they reneged on their free connection for Parkhurst.

EDIT: Some ISPs particularly the more expensive ones don't charge it in the hope you'll stay for 6 months or longer. So you can choose to keep paying for it or pay it once off with a cheaper ISP and start saving after 6 months.

Whoops was the wrong original quoted text :)
No problem. :)

carl.heymann

Thanks Koosie, this is what I was looking for. The issue of transit providers is so...

...Thank you all for the info. I think my mind is made up! ;)
Currently using Home-Connect. Also had to decide between Home-Connect and Cool Ideas. Cool Ideas was second on my list.

I created this forum: https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/thr...packages-do-you-have-issues-with-them.952333/

Currently I stand on just short of 600GB for the month. I do streaming (Youtube/Netflix), Online gaming (PS4/Xbox 1) as well as the game downloads and now and then some Steam.

File downloads get full speed.

I think you will be happy with either ISP.

Yes well, I still have time to make a final decision since Vumatel hasn't connected me yet.

The recent mess with TT Connect and CISP's response to complaints does give me pause... Hopefully CISP has isolated TT Connect completely so that they can't break the network again.

I will monitor the threads in the coming days to see how things pan out and make a final decision once my CPE has been installed.

Tdog109

So I have been going through this process currently:

I currently have a fibre line with Afrihost - but for 1290R a month for 50MBS - And I am getting about 30mbs at best - I made up my mind a while ago to leave - was waiting for the 6 month period to be over to avoid cancellation fee.
- With Metrofibre as the provider

Cool Ideas:
Ultra Cool 50/50 (edit)
R1009pm

No activation fee as the line is already installed

Home - Connect
MetroFibre – 50/50 FibreVibe Activate
R998pm
It says no activation fee but:

"
if you have an existing fibre line with you can look at the activate package:

1) Activate package - Once-off activation fee included. once off installation fee of R1688 applicable if there no CPE months to months"

Can anyone verify if the R1688 would be applicable in my situation?
Also what are the cancellation terms between the 2 - don't want another 6 month lock in.

PS does anyone know when they run promos and specials?

Last edited:

STORMERSFAN

So I have been going through this process currently:

I currently have a fibre line with Afrihost - but for 1290R a month for 50MBS - And I am getting about 30mbs at best - I made up my mind a while ago to leave - was waiting for the 6 month period to be over to avoid cancellation fee.
- With Metrofibre as the provider

Cool Ideas:
Ultra Cool 50/5
R1009pm

No activation fee as the line is already installed

Home - Connect
MetroFibre – 50/50 FibreVibe Activate
R998pm
It says no activation fee but:

"
if you have an existing fibre line with you can look at the activate package:

1) Activate package - Once-off activation fee included. once off installation fee of R1688 applicable if there no CPE months to months"

Can anyone verify if the R1688 would be applicable in my situation?
Also what are the cancellation terms between the 2 - don't want another 6 month lock in.

PS does anyone know when they run promos and specials?
50/5 is R959 with cool ideas according to website..

zolly

Expert Member
Am happy with Cool Ideas so far.

Have only had an issue with their VOIP phone not working, but it's not really something I've followed up on. They did contact me during the week in December but since I was at work I was unable to resolve the problem. I told them I'd call them back but like I said, other priorities means that I've sort of put it to the side. Would still recommend them as an ISP regardless of the VOIP issue at this point.