Crystal Web DSL performance feedback thread Part 4...

Geoff.D

Executive Member
my adsl line i get thru telkom. crystal/evo is just the isp. will i still have massive headaches?
By this, you mean your fixed line and your ADSL line is on your telephone account and paid for direct to Telkom? If yes, no you should not be affected by all these issues of lines moving into the holding pool etc.
It is just your ISP services that may become an issue later on.

azex

By this, you mean your fixed line and your ADSL line is on your telephone account and paid for direct to Telkom? If yes, no you should not be affected by all these issues of lines moving into the holding pool etc.
It is just your ISP services that may become an issue later on.
awesome thank god. makes dropping those fools at crystal/evo a lot easier :D. now if only loadshedding and the general death of south africa as a viable country could not be a thing that would be great

CataclysmZA

Expert Member
Did you do this, or did Afrihost do this? I'm still waiting on Afrihost to get back to me with regards to the migration of my line.
How long have you been waiting?

my adsl line i get thru telkom. crystal/evo is just the isp. will i still have massive headaches?
Ah, so you're with Telkom for DSL. Good, I had thought you also had your DSL rental paid through Crystal Web.

SilverCode

How long have you been waiting?
Not that long. They phoned me last Friday saying they were submitting a list of lines (not sure if only CW lines, but they acknowledged I was in the pool of CW screwups) to OpenServe and wanted to know if I wanted to be on the list. I said yes and signed up while they were on the other end of the phone.

Since then I've only received an automated email from Afrihost on Sunday at 2am saying there is a pending order on my line and I need to let them know when the ADSL line is active so they can take control of the line. I responded to the mail highlighting that I'm a CW refugee, my line is active, syncing, authenitcating and overall working, even though no one is charging me for it at the moment. Haven't received any feedback yet, but I'm a relatively patient person. Just don't want to wait too long with everyone thinking someone else is busy doing something about it, while no one is actually doing anything.

Last edited:

RiD1

What is the email for cancellations?
Interestingly, the FAQ has beeen removed from the homepage, it was there a few weeks ago...but i found the FAQ through google...

I used this form

How do I cancel my account?

A: Please submit all cancellation requests using this form - http://www.crystalweb.co.za/cancellationform.php
Note that as per Crystal Web's terms of use, a cancellation may not be processed if an outstanding balance remains on your account due to Crystal Web for any services from any date. Same-month cancellations must be submitted before the 19th of each month.
Unless Crystal Web has a network notice out, it is highly unlikely that any performance related issues are as a result of our network, and we encourage you to please contact our support agents to look at any potential issues we can assist with.
Also remember that in this market, you get what you pay for. There's a reason we have been voted the number one rated ISP in South Africa.

Support Management - November 26, 2015 15:29
After filling in the form you get PODIO mails asking you to confirm...
I also mailed my cancellation to support@crystalweb.co.za

RiD1

Not that long. They phoned me last Friday saying they were submitting a list of lines (not sure if only CW lines, but they acknowledged I was in the pool of CW screwups) to OpenServe and wanted to know if I wanted to be on the list. I said yes and signed up while they were on the other end of the phone.

Since then I've only received an automated email from Afrihost on Sunday at 2am saying there is a pending order on my line and I need to let them know when the ADSL line is active so they can take control of the line. I responded to the mail highlighting that I'm a CW refugee, my line is active, syncing, authenitcating and overall working, even though no one is charging me for it at the moment. Haven't received any feedback yet, but I'm a relatively patient person. Just don't want to wait too long with everyone thinking someone else is busy doing something about it, while no one is actually doing anything.
[/QUOTE]

I got the pending order sms too, drop afriman a pm , it took 3 days after that to get online

azex

anyone got a good recomendation for an ISP now that i need a new one? looking for what I had at crystal web: uncapped 10meg, no shaping and no throttling

aktor

anyone got a good recomendation for an ISP now that i need a new one? looking for what I had at crystal web: uncapped 10meg, no shaping and no throttling
Well I don't have an uncapped account, but I did take the 300GB capped account from Vox (R350'ish or so). Good latency, no shaping, free data from midnight to 6am, and rollovers for unused data. So far they haven't disappointed.

CataclysmZA

Expert Member
I've had really good experiences with Telkom Internet on their UnlimitedHome Uncapped 20Mb bundle. I'm always below the threshold for throttling, and I've never reached the account cap.

Their DNS can get flaky at times, so I use Google and CloudFlare's DNS servers with Telkom as a backup.

getafix33

Expert Member
Ja, I signed up with VOX 200 GB 10mb line. So far so good. My only gripe is DSTV streaming sport. On CW I would seldom have issues, but on VOX it always streams at 380p even if its set to 575p. Its so bad that at times I can't see the score.

Not sure if its's VOX or DSTV

SilverCode

Just got an email from Afrihost (and an SMS from FNB) saying my ADSL Line Order is complete. So hopefully that means they have rescued my line from the netherworld and I can rest easy these holidays knowing a competent company is in control of the line. Will have to actually check if my line is working when I get home though.

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
Just got an email from Afrihost (and an SMS from FNB) saying my ADSL Line Order is complete. So hopefully that means they have rescued my line from the netherworld and I can rest easy these holidays knowing a competent company is in control of the line. Will have to actually check if my line is working when I get home though.
Mine was also completed today. My old ClientZone details are still active as well.

Does anyone know where this server or router is situated? (Screenshot attached) I have been struggling for a good many months with this issue. 24% Packet loss on a good day and up to 50% on a bad day. It's extremely annoying.

In the attempt to get rid of this packet loss I contacted CrystalWeb support, they have been less than helpful on this matter. They can't even give people a straight answer when they will be done in completing the SACS routing for their ADSL users.

Any suggestions on what can be done at this point?

Attachments

Geoff.D

Executive Member
Internet Solutions ...........

In-country, In the middle of Wemmer Pan, Johannesburg :unsure:

Maybe that explains the packet loss. The electrons battle to handle the water :p

Another lookup site says it is in CT

where are you located?

Last edited:

RiD1

I got a call immediately after that sms from afrihost saying i can connect. That was the day my roller-coaster of feels ended.

Do you use an EvoNet account? If you do, that's most likely Internet Solutions. It may be hardware under their control that is faulty.
Yes, it is an EvoNet account. I did try and resolve a host name, but couldn't. The IP is directly after the Internet Solutions host name. Where these are actually situated is a mystery to me but they do seem to share the same data center if you look at the IP address that follows.

Why no one picked up on the issue before is plain sloppy, especially within a data center and the duration this problem has persisted.