CSGO matchmaking region problems

PrimeSteak

Does anyone know how to change your matchmaking region in CSGO? Every time nowadays if I play casual or anything else really, I get sent to European servers and I get high ping, rubberbanding, etc (you know the drill). So I want to set the region or server I guess, back to JHB/South African servers to make the game actually playable...

Thanks in advance for the help!

Kind Regards
PrimeSteak

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
Does anyone know how to change your matchmaking region in CSGO? Every time nowadays if I play casual or anything else really, I get sent to European servers and I get high ping, rubberbanding, etc (you know the drill). So I want to set the region or server I guess, back to JHB/South African servers to make the game actually playable...

Kind Regards
PrimeSteak

There is a slider in the settings for "Max acceptable ping" or something like that.

Your ISP's routing could also be buggered.

Retro1337

Kind Regards
PrimeSteak
Is it just csgo specifically or is it the same in other games? if it is then i would say something related to ISP or VPN on your side

PrimeSteak

There is a slider in the settings for "Max acceptable ping" or something like that.
I set this option to 130 to see if it helped but no... I called the ISP of ours last week to sort this out cause before last week if I even tried to play on SA servers (any game really, not just CSGO) I get 200+ ping and **** tons of packet loss, after explaining my problem to the guy from the ISP, he asked what games I played, I responded accordingly and he said he'll reset everything... Not even a week after and I'm back to square one.

Can't wait for fibre...

PrimeSteak

Is it just csgo specifically or is it the same in other games? if it is then i would say something related to ISP or VPN on your side
Rocket League's not so bad but I also get random ping spikes, high ping sometimes and I haven't even tested Siege yet but it's a problem with online gaming in general...

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
You cannot set the server; matchmaking does a regional lookup. You can change the ping threshold, but it is no guarantee, it will always send you to the nearest available node in matchmaking.

Do you have a VPN enabled?

This is also a phenomenon on non-local Steam accounts, non-prime gets regional placement where your Steam account is located at though this can be bypassed by queuing locally.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master

Your ISP's routing could also be buggered.

This is what I assume is going on taking that everything else is in order.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Is there any way to alleviate this from my side or do I have to contact our ISP again?

Email your ISP highlighting your experience.

Too many variables to determine what may be the issue.

Are you using a WISP?

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I could try that...

Yes, but I do have a direct Ethernet connection to our router.

The moment you said this,

I responded accordingly and he said he'll reset everything... Not even a week after and I'm back to square one.

I knew. Take it up with them again, but email them listing your grievances and then you call them bringing the email to their attention. Do remind them they have already made a reset, but that it temporarily remedied the issue you are experiencing.

PrimeSteak

The moment you said this,

I knew. Take it up with them again, but email them listing your grievances and then you call them bringing the email to their attention. Do remind them they have already made a reset, but that it temporarily remedied the issue you are experiencing.
Ok, I'll try it... Once the trenching and installation of the fibre in our town is done, I'm switching to fibre from Herotel and leaving our current ISP.

zoozi

I could try that...

Yes, but I do have a direct Ethernet connection to our router.
Sounds like local signal issue but if it is your ISP's routing then try Cloudfare Warp as another option, it's a free VPN app that routes your traffic through cloudfare's network. My pings improve quite a bit with it:

PrimeSteak

ponder

Honorary Master
Sounds like local signal issue but if it is your ISP's routing then try Cloudfare Warp as another option, it's a free VPN app that routes your traffic through cloudfare's network. My pings improve quite a bit with it:

Was just about to suggest that as well.