D-Link wireless streaming

zhayat

Hi

I'd like to setup a media streaming server on my home network.The router I have is a D-Link DSL-2640U.I have an Xbox 360s console (built in wireless) and want to stream media from my PC to the Xbox 360s so I can view it on my TV.Does anyone know if this is possible via wireless or do I need an ethernet cable to be able to stream media to my TV?

Thanks

Burny1

you can use wireless, however i have found that the movies normally "stutters" as the wireless is not that stable. The best would be to use a lan cable as there is almost no interference and streaming runs beautifully on it. You can always set up the xbox on wireless and test it before you go out and buy stuff.

hennie05

can i stream videos and music from my pc to my xbox 360 using a d'link 2640u

Burny1

can i stream videos and music from my pc to my xbox 360 using a d'link 2640u

you can use wireless, however i have found that the movies normally "stutters" as the wireless is not that stable. The best would be to use a lan cable as there is almost no interference and streaming runs beautifully on it. You can always set up the xbox on wireless and test it before you go out and buy stuff. To clarify, you can use your router, however you need to use a LAN cable from the PC to the Router and from the Xbox to the Router.

greenbean32

Yes you can ,you must install windows media centre on both ,you can also hack wmc to play all the formats.I am running that at the moment.I can post the links tonight when I get home.But like they mentioned ,some funny formats play a bit flaky over wireless.

Pe-Killer

Expert Member
Otherwise have a look at powerline networking then you won't have to install a cable.

Tim the Techxpert

Expert Member
Hi There,
I have found wireless too unreliable and I would always go the cable route to ensure a better viewing experience.

Warmest regards

Tim