Dangerous security flaws found in Windows 10

Lupus

Honorary Master
I can remember a time when everyone was convinced the threats were made up by the people who sold anti-virus software to con you into thinking you needed something you didn't. Those were the days.
What? No-one thought that? Especially people who had gotten viruses.

TelkomUseless

Executive Member
For me - Space quest 4 when you learn the reason of the main server going corrupt is because aliens found a Larry Leisur suit disk on a garbage asteroid which corrupted the main AI.

Classic
Larry.. holy moly... classic. Trying to guess the password to play the game as 13 years old was insane!

lowriderza

Expert Member
And this folks is why you need decent EDR software... Honestly I don't mind it being strict at least Ransomware seems to be a thing of the past.

Lupus

Honorary Master
O yes.. getting a stiffy from your friends was always risky business :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:
bwahaha, or when it was 25 of them and the 23rd was broken :-(. Lots of times having to pick and choose what games were on my hdd. Like sorry guys I'm playing C&C now, I'll have to reinstall WC2.

gamer16

Honorary Master
And this folks is why you need decent EDR software... Honestly I don't mind it being strict at least Ransomware seems to be a thing of the past.
I fell victim to that last year, on a fresh and I mean 5 minutes ago VM of W7, was very odd as I had only opened its browser to download chrome, just shows you how bad internet explorer was.

TelkomUseless

Executive Member
bwahaha, or when it was 25 of them and the 23rd was broken :-(. Lots of times having to pick and choose what games were on my hdd. Like sorry guys I'm playing C&C now, I'll have to reinstall WC2.
O my goodness. I remember Wing Commander 2.... and one stiffy is corrupt. Many tears were shed. And Remember to play WC2 , you had to HiMem load mouse drivers etc to have EMS memory available...

My 10 meg hdd had limits :ROFL::ROFL:.

Here is the WC doc Manual

Do you have enough hard drive space?
You must have at least 1 megabyte of drive space available for minimum installation. Your hard drive is used for temporary storage and is used to save your game.

ANd

You must have at least 640K of RAM to play Wing Commander II. Regardless of the amount of RAM in your machine, you must have 583,000 bytes of free RAM to run the game. Use the DOS command, CHKDSK, and look at the last line of the information presented. This tells you how much RAM memory is free. For example, CHKDSK might tell you that your 640K system has 519,490 bytes free. If you have less than 583,000 bytes free, you do not have enough free RAM and the game will not run.

You may want to remove memory-resident programs that are unnecessary for system usage from your AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS startup files. If you have too little main memory and do not want to reconfigure your system, we suggest you make a bootable DOS system floppy disk to start your computer prior to play. The procedure for creating a startup floppy disk is described in Troubleshooting, page 6. Expanded Memory/DOS 6.x Memory beyond 640K can be allocated as “expanded memory” which Wing Commander II uses to provide extra graphics and sound. During installation and loading the game, you will be told if expanded memory was detected. Expanded memory is not the same as “extended memory”—if your computer has extended memory, reconfigure it as expanded memory.

For further information, consult your software dealer or the documentation that came with your expanded memory manager. 386 Systems. To access enhanced graphics and sound, you must use an expanded memory manager program. Two of the most common ones are QEMM.SYS (which comes with Quarterdeck’s Desqview) and EMM386.SYS (which comes with Microsoft Windows and DOS 5.0), but there are others. Memory managers are installed by adding a line to the CONFIG.SYS file on your computer. The Microsoft Windows memory manager, EMM386, allocates all available RAM as EMS if not specified. In addition, you must have HIMEM installed to use the Windows memory
Try explaining that to users today !:laugh::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Last edited:

Lupus

Honorary Master
O my goodness. I remember Wing Commander 2.... and one stiffy is corrupt. Many tears were shed. And Remember to play WC2 , you had to HiMem load mouse drivers etc to have EMS memory available...

My 10 meg hdd had limits :ROFL::ROFL:.

Here is the WC doc Manual

Try explaining that to users today !:laugh::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:
Oh man, having to have a menu to boot into different memory profiles was the thing to do :).