Dangerous security flaws found in Windows 10

lowriderza

Expert Member
So the good-bad cycle was there from the start hahaha
Hahaha Yep. But to be honest I vividly remember XP causing blue screens on anything but the latest hardware simmilar to what Windows Millennium was doing on any non-intel hardware.

lowriderza

Expert Member
It was. Win10 broke it for the bad.
Hmmm let's see

Windows 1.x = Good?
Windows 2.x = Bad
Windows 3.x = Good
Windows Millennium = Bad
Windows XP = Good
Windows Vista = Bad
Windows 7 = Good
Windows 8 = Bad
Windows 10 = Good

Of course I left out NT and 2000 but those kinda don't count for home users although they were Good.

Swa

Honorary Master
Hmmm let's see

Windows 1.x = Good?
Windows 2.x = Bad
Windows 3.x = Good
Windows Millennium = Bad
Windows XP = Good
Windows Vista = Bad
Windows 7 = Good
Windows 8 = Bad
Windows 10 = Bad

Of course I left out NT and 2000 but those kinda don't count for home users although they were Good.
Fixed. Why the running joke of what happened to Windows 9. Will probably turn up with the missing floppies of Leisure Suit Larry 4.

lowriderza

Expert Member
Fixed. Why the running joke of what happened to Windows 9. Will probably turn up with the missing floppies of Leisure Suit Larry 4.
Apart from the size of the updates Windows 10 isn't that bad. They are fixing a lot of things on the fly that people complain about so that's good.

As for Windows 9 and others missing versions... It's a Marketing thing.

Nick333

Honorary Master
I think you may find that it started with windows and migrated from there, but yes this is the point I was making - stuff used to work, and if sometimes it didn't, the problem wasn't a major flaw that broke other stuff like the entire computer, as happens with windows.

Apparently Win 3.1 was when the rot really set in and when this arrived:

View attachment 699463
It's not just a windows thing, Linux has always had constant updates and patches. It's just the nature of a) complex and b) evolving software. It's just ridiculous to expect something with as many lines of code, so many possible hardware configurations, and literally infinite use cases to be bug free.

Apple comes as close to what you seem to expect from an ecosystem as is actually possible, why aren't you in the Apple ecosystem?

Swa

Honorary Master
Apart from the size of the updates Windows 10 isn't that bad. They are fixing a lot of things on the fly that people complain about so that's good.

As for Windows 9 and others missing versions... It's a Marketing thing.
Which is exactly what I want to know. Why are the updates so large to begin with? It's entirely the fixing things on the fly that's the problem because it also means that all the bugs are released as well. Exactly how the mess with people's documents being deleted happened. It's not Win10 itself that's the issue but rather how the new update model handles it.

Swa

Honorary Master
It's not just a windows thing, Linux has always had constant updates and patches. It's just the nature of a) complex and b) evolving software. It's just ridiculous to expect something with as many lines of code, so many possible hardware configurations, and literally infinite use cases to be bug free.

Apple comes as close to what you seem to expect from an ecosystem as is actually possible, why aren't you in the Apple ecosystem?
The two are actually not remotely the same though. What people constantly miss is that what's known as Linux is actually not an OS but a collection of programs. The real OS is just a few MBs. Even so Linux Mint is less than 2GB in total most of which doesn't get updated that often.

But this is where the real issue comes in. You have choice and don't need to install it all. Most things in Linux are not installed by default. Want to use exfat and you have to install it from the repository where Windows includes it by default whether you need it or not.