D15

However I try to think of a reason, I am at a loss to understand the justification for the expiry concept. (Other than making money for nothing out of us) In my language, it is just plain theft. I buy a 'commodity' from a supplier and they take it away before I have finished using it . . !

I heard some one on a radio talk show yesterday trying to compare data sales to supplying Coke, but the analogy doesn't hold up. After all, VC doesn't store all the data in a giant warehouse. (or maybe they have a giant 'data battery', Ha Ha!)

I have an alarm system with a PAYG SIM that sends out an SMS when triggered. In the recent past, I could buy a sufficient number of SMS's which would last for a reasonable amount of time. Suddenly the other day I accidentally tripped the alarm and was surprised when the SMS did not come through on my phone. Checked on the VC web site - no SMS's, all gone!

Unimpressed.

Dark Agent

Expert Member
However I try to think of a reason, I am at a loss to understand the justification for the expiry concept. (Other than making money for nothing out of us) In my language, it is just plain theft. I buy a 'commodity' from a supplier and they take it away before I have finished using it . . !

I heard some one on a radio talk show yesterday trying to compare data sales to supplying Coke, but the analogy doesn't hold up. After all, VC doesn't store all the data in a giant warehouse. (or maybe they have a giant 'data battery', Ha Ha!)

I have an alarm system with a PAYG SIM that sends out an SMS when triggered. In the recent past, I could buy a sufficient number of SMS's which would last for a reasonable amount of time. Suddenly the other day I accidentally tripped the alarm and was surprised when the SMS did not come through on my phone. Checked on the VC web site - no SMS's, all gone!

Unimpressed.
SMS Bundles expires in 30 days from 60 Days.

Out of topic:
I also had a similar system for my parents. I typical used to send sms when the system was armed/disarmed/triggered, which is approx 6 SMSs a day or 150 sms a month. The cost was R30 pm and seems worth it for security.
Once we had robbery, no sms or what ever(The SMS CAME IN THE NEXT NIGHT). Lucky the neighbor shop alerted us and we alerted the police which really helped. I decided to add more numbers, which increased the cost to R100 pm and was very inconvenience since now 3 people receive notification, I have to monitor the portal etc but IT WAS FOR SECURITY I told myself.
Once my SIM Card got disconnected because of inactivity, but I was sending SMS! Tried explaining that with vodacom call agent was a disaster and really waste of time.
Once the system was sending sms every second due to a fault. 500 sms finish in one day or 10mins! One problem after the other, sometimes no sms get send and stress the shop was not armed. I can go on and one.:love:

I switch away from that system into a system I created with raspberry pi and arduino.
It keeps track on armed/disarmed/triggered, zones entered,etc... I log it in excel sheet and notify on telegram. Only if triggered it sends SMS. Data uses less then 100MB a month. I upgraded lately to MTN 50GB pm promo and fall back Vodacom. I have one cheap camera hook up, which most times when I log on , I find my father sleeping in the chair:crylaugh:. I soon going to upgrade it and try to consume more data since its available. I used average below 1GB per month for the past 9 months. I just don't have time upgrading it. I just added wifi so my Father can use it and browse the internet.

End of the day this system works 100x better, we could sleep peacefully.

Last edited:

WireFree

If you only send a SMS when the alarm is triggered, then why do you buy SMS bundles? Why not send out of bundle SMS from the airtime on the SIM?

Dark Agent

Expert Member
If you only send a SMS when the alarm is triggered, then why do you buy SMS bundles? Why not send out of bundle SMS from the airtime on the SIM?
Airtime also expires.
https://www.mtn.co.za/everyday_services/airtime/pages/buying_airtime.aspx

But it seems to be a better solution. Just run a alarm trigger test every month.

How long is my airtime valid for?

If a customer purchases airtime of less than R15, the airtime will expire in 20 days’ time. Example: If a customer purchases R10 airtime, the airtime will be valid for 20 days from the date it was loaded.
If a customer purchases airtime of between R15.01 and R25, the airtime will expire in 30 days’ time. Example: A customer loads R20 airtime, the airtime will be valid for 30 days from the date it was loaded.
If a customer purchases airtime of above R25.01, the airtime will have no expiry. Example: A customer loads R30 airtime, save for dormancy* the airtime doesn’t expire.
*Dormancy is when there is no activity on your SIM card for a period of 120 consecutive days.