sn3rd

Expert Member
I decided to go with the Dell Studio 1537 with the following specifications:

Core 2 Duo T5800 @ 2.0GHz
2 x 1024MB DDR2-667MHz RAM
250GB Hard drive
15.4" WLED TrueLife display
Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate SP1

Upon powering the notebook on for the first time, I received a strange warning message:
Warning!!
The battery cannot be identified.
This system will be unable to charge this battery.
Press F1 to continue.
Press F2 twice to enter setup.

I tried looking through setup, which revealed no power options at all, let alone useful ones.

Booting into Windows revealed that A battery was being detected, but Windows confirmed that it was unable to charge it.

The battery doesn't hold a charge. If I remove the power cable after a while, the notebook dies instantly.

When I plug the power cable in, the LED above the power port shines white and then flashes orange. I'm not sure whether this is supposed to happen, and if not, I'm not sure what it's supposed to mean.

I did some googling, which revealed that Dell has recently announced a recall on some models of their notebooks with certain product codes. Mine does not fit any of those categories.

I also found a few situations where people claimed a BIOS update fixed the problem, but these were with Inspiron models. Nonetheless, I updated the BIOS from A03 to A04, but the problem persisted.

I've returned the notebook, which will apparently be swapped out on Monday.

Has anyone else ever experienced a problem such as this (on any model)? What model was it on? Were you able to solve the problem? What did you do to solve it?

Lycanthrope

Honorary Master
You and laptops... :p

That happened to us on our old Thinkpad R40e... It had "moments." Never found a fix for it :(

sn3rd

Expert Member
You and laptops... :p

That happened to us on our old Thinkpad R40e... It had "moments." Never found a fix for it :(

Damnit... Saw a reply and thought someone was actually providing valuable input... :(

Lycanthrope

Honorary Master
Damnit... Saw a reply and thought someone was actually providing valuable input... :(

-.-'

Some people might be grateful for politely bumping a thread in the hopes of garnering the attention of those who might not see your thread six entries down:p But noooooooooo :p

I get lambasted for not providing valuable input!

*cries*

/me feels useless :( *SNIFF*

sn3rd

Expert Member
-.-'

Some people might be grateful for politely bumping a thread in the hopes of garnering the attention of those who might not see your thread six entries down:p But noooooooooo :p

I get lambasted for not providing valuable input!

*cries*

/me feels useless :( *SNIFF*

Glad you know your place :p

Thanks for the bumps though :eek:

Although, now people will read the first few replies and think the thread has been derailed, and never return :(

howardb

Expert Member
I had a similar problem with my Acer - it remained powered if the adapter was plugged in but the battery would not charge - turned out to be a dud battery. Replaced it and worked perfectly. Could have just been a once-off problem with a batch of batteries?

sn3rd

Expert Member
I had a similar problem with my Acer - it remained powered if the adapter was plugged in but the battery would not charge - turned out to be a dud battery. Replaced it and worked perfectly. Could have just been a once-off problem with a batch of batteries?

Hope so. The fact that I can only find cases where Inspirons or other batteries are involved gives me hope. But if the swap out comes with the same problem, then it'll be back to the shopping drawing board :(

sn3rd

Expert Member
Well it seems that it was a once-off DOA. New notebook seems perfect