Desktop PC - possible power saving problem

ColonelJAck

Can anyone offer suggestions?
Since yesterday my pc goes into power saving mode while I'm working on it.
I've gone into windows (win 7 32bit) and disabled any form of power saver and screen saver.
I could be watching Youtube or reading myBB posts (as happened earlier today) when my screen will display 'Entering Power Saving'.
Part 2 of the problem.
It won't wake out of power saving. I've tried clicking the mouse, using the keyboard and pressing the power button. Nothing happens.
I've held the power button in and I've pressed the reset button. Nothing.
The only way to reboot is to switch off and on at the wall.
The monitor power light goes from green to orange.
The pc power light does stay on.

Could it be a faulty motherboard or PSU?

Thanks in advance.

sajunky

Honorary Master
The pc power light does stay on.
Considering ^this, PC is not entering power saving mode, but simply hanging. Display adapter stops refreshing screen, then monitor enters power saving mode. Consult manual to see whether power light should stay on. It would give confirmation. Check also different power supply, but my guess, it is faulty mobo.

When it happen, unplug monitor and re-plug. Monitor (if working properly) should bring back screen OSD message.

Last edited:

ColonelJAck

Considering ^this, PC is not entering power saving mode, but simply hanging. Display adapter stops refreshing screen, then monitor enters power saving mode. Consult manual to see whether power light should stay on. It would give confirmation. Check also different power supply, but my guess, it is faulty mobo.

When it happen, unplug monitor and re-plug. Monitor (if working properly) should bring back screen OSD message.

The unplug and re-plug monitor made no difference, but I think you may have solved the problem anyway.
You mentioned the display adapter stops refreshing the screen. I went into the various resolutions my VGA is capable of.
It is set to its highest, but there are 2 refresh rate options (75Hz & 60Hz).
It was on 75,I dropped it down to 60 and left the PC on. All is good so far.
That was about 7 hours ago. When the problem initially started, it would occur within 20 -30 minutes of booting up.

I'll let you know if it happens again, but things are looking promising.

Thanks dude

sajunky

Honorary Master
Glad about having progress. :)
Check naximum refresh for your monitor. If it is LCD, 60Hz should be fine. For CRT monitor you need 75Hz (at least 70Hz). It shouldn't exceed maximum at given resolution. If it is laptop, check if you are changing refresh rate in the right place, manufacturer specific utilities interfere with graphics driver. If your desktop PC is a branded, this note might be also valid. Updating graphics driver is a good idea. It shoudn't hang PC anyway. Power button should work all the time and perform function specified in power options.

Last edited: