'Device only contracts' ?

Anthro

Expert Member
Hi there all / Voda reps
Is there a way for me to ONLY get the phone I want with no SIM needed ?
MTN (been with them 10++years) don't have stock of either iPhone nor the Samsung Galaxy S. I want to approach local Vodashop / Vodacom4u for either of these devices.
Yes / No / Maybe ?

:whistling:

zululami

Banned
they probably wouldn't sell you just a phone... they wouldn't make profit... they sell you a sim so that you can buy airtime, data bundles etc etc

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
No, to activate a contract you need a sim because you cant have a contract without a line and you cant have a line without a contract. We do have contracts with no device at reduced subs...but not the other way round. No one is going to force you to use the sim though...but if you take a contract that comes with airtime or minutes, then those will eventually fall away if you dont use it.

Anthro

Expert Member
I actually called them earlier - they have a special going on (very nice I must say) for R185 for a Galaxy S (Business type contract) where ONLY the device is offered.
Going for that :)

Other Pineapple Smurf

Honorary Master
I actually called them earlier - they have a special going on (very nice I must say) for R185 for a Galaxy S (Business type contract) where ONLY the device is offered.

So your only paying R310 more over the contract period than the cash price of the device.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender

I dont understand what you mean by ONLY the device is offered.

MegasXLR

Banned
I dont understand what you mean by ONLY the device is offered.

On a business contract you only pay for the contract, no air time included so If you do not use any airtime then the bill remains the contract value. Same as what you suggested when you said he does not need to use the sim.

Other Pineapple Smurf

Honorary Master
On a business contract you only pay for the contract, no air time included so If you do not use any airtime then the bill remains the contract value. Same as what you suggested when you said he does not need to use the sim.

Now it makes sense. I also believe that on business you can upgrade sooner.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender

Oh ok. I thought he meant he does not want a line with it at all...he just wants the equipment, but on contract. I was confused. Sorry

Now it makes sense. I also believe that on business you can upgrade sooner.

All packages can upgrade 3 months before the contract end date. If you are on a Talk 500 or higher, or have a average spend of R800.00 or higher then you can upgrade even before that....but remember, your contract will be extended from the actual term date .... so it will be a long time before your next upgrade again if you do that. :)

Other Pineapple Smurf

Honorary Master
All packages can upgrade 3 months before the contract end date. If you are on a Talk 500 or higher, or have a average spend of R800.00 or higher then you can upgrade even before that....but remember, your contract will be extended from the actual term date .... so it will be a long time before your next upgrade again if you do that. :)

OK, you confirmed what my Vodacom store told me this morning.

Anthro

Expert Member
I am happy to report I got myself the R185/month contract - Business - with 30Mb for the first three months included.
Bought a .49c SIM, and this was ported to a contract (nice savvy from the salesman) saving me R100+ because I provided my own number :)
(Samsung Galaxy S FTW btw)