DigiChilli January Status and feedback

Same here, was pulling 40+ on torrents and Browsing sucked(general HTTP)...:D
Now browsing (HTTP down fast) and torrents back to 0.5 - 3 kB/s:erm:

ADSL line = 512
DC = Mild R500

WTF - Shaping system or what????

Nevermind...back again...torrents good, browsing bad...
 
ok but if your router is pulling down on your line at full speed, and lets say full speed is "50k" then splitting to two connections in one pc will still only make the router pull down at "50k" because that is as much as the line can handle????

Or am i missing something??
If you are already at your line speed limit I agree that this will make no difference, but Vegeta said that currently double speed would be 8kB/s, so the shaper is limiting traffic rather than the line.
 
DigiChilli Going Good.

HTTP downloads multithreaded gr8
Torrents: 15-20KBps
FTP Slow but ok

Spicy on 4MBps line

What speeds are you getting on multithreaded http and where are you downloading from, RapidShare or one of the other filesharing sites or other?
 
What speeds are you getting on multithreaded http and where are you downloading from, RapidShare or one of the other filesharing sites or other?

Something happnd .... :(

RS: 7-8 KBps
direct http multithread downloads: 40+KBps


5 mins back it was:

RS: 20KBps
direct http: 60+KBps
 
Last edited:
My Netgear router allows for a second PPPoE setting, i do not fully understand how this works; can some one maybe explain or help me make full use of this? In theory can't i use both my mild R500 concurrent connections to "double available" speed? I have a 4meg line so have plenty line speed to spare on DC. I would greatly appreciate it if someone can help me with this. Thanks in advance.
 
My Netgear router allows for a second PPPoE setting, i do not fully understand how this works; can some one maybe explain or help me make full use of this? In theory can't i use both my mild R500 concurrent connections to "double available" speed? I have a 4meg line so have plenty line speed to spare on DC. I would greatly appreciate it if someone can help me with this. Thanks in advance.

The second PPPoE link would be useful if you wanted to separate your local and international traffic for example. You would create a routing table and depending on your destination addresses you could split the traffic.

If you had another spare PC or a virtual machine you could create a two PPPoE connections, one from host and one from guest and the start the same P2P downloads on both.

You only really get the benefit if both links are used for the same application, i.e. downloading from RS on both machines. If you are limited to 20kB/s on RS on one link you would, in theory, be able to get around 40kB/s from the two links. This is due to the fact that it looks as though DC is shaping based on the application and not on your link.

Of course we've seen the network is all over the place so you may find that one link downloads at 20kB/s and the other will only reach about 8kB/s :erm:
 
Is anyone else having problems sending gmail through outlook? won't work for me, works fine on my afrihost line.
 
Morning all

My speeds today are about the same is yesterday. HTTP is king while p2p is a walking zombie in most cases. Streaming audio is a no-no and youtube went sour, but oddly enough I seem to be able to download them pretty much faster with Real Player :erm:

About the PPPoE stuff if I remeber correct didn't Alt23 (think that's his user id) have 8 simultaneous connections on 1 computer? And it kinda broke DC's network :p

Maybe it's just me but anybody notice that when DC is working great that when using Dap, IDM or orbit your speeds go to a near constent 40+kB/s?

P.S I think it's time for an update Dave please :)
 
im having a problem just in general with SMTP.DIGICHILLI.COM. still seems to be down...
 
I got 100kbps downloading a file a minute ago... whats this up to thing...
 
The network is an "alpha build" at the moment. What works today simple isn't guaranteed to work tomorrow because of the constant tweaking and changes.

I'm afraid you can either wait it out or ask for a refund. Hopefully it''ll end soon.

They really should mention that this is essentially a paid beta.


Now see, that is a bit of a contentious point.

As I recall DigiChilli had a closed testing period before they opened to the public at large. That would have been their beta phase as during alpha you do not involve your clients.

This brings us to the now.

Since there were no clear messages stating that this service was in a beta or even RC (release candidate) state one may be forgiven to assume that what is on offer is a tested and reliable service.

We all know that DigiChilli is a start-up. We appreciate and applaud what they are doing in the ISP market.

At the end of the day what is at issue here is one thing. Clear and timely communication to a paying client base.

I do not see posting on a third party forum as the best way to achieve this. DigiChilli had their own forum on their own website which they decided to close down after deciding to not bother addressing the questions and complaints of their clients. I am unclear as to whether an explanation was ever given for this action.

They have our email addresses don’t they? Must be since I have received two invoices from them. So there is a way for them to communicate to us "one on one".

The attempt at communicating by posting current network status on their home page is a good start but it is as effective as stating a car works because the ignition switches the car on.

Yes the network may be up but we all know by now that only means that you can browse the internet.

Let’s get back to what is promised: unlimited downloads up to a speed of 256kbps and I quote “We understand downloads.”.

If they truly understood downloads then they would understand the massive frustration felt by everyone who can’t connect to the sources of their downloads.

Understanding downloads says to me that they know that the bulk of these downloads won’t be coming from standard http clickable links.

I am sure that DigiChilli do in fact understand our frustration and I am certain that behind the scenes there are techies who are working ridiculous hours, living off of takeaways and cola, to fix these issues. It’s just that the communication is lacking.

By all means put a message on the DigiChilli homepage that states they are having problems, but then supply a link to a more detailed explanation so that people will know, even if they don’t understand. And please include specifics such as “connections to XXX are not working due to YYY”.

As pointed out in earlier posts, the call centre staff may benefit from some training on the technical side of things or at least have access to a technical Q&A. At the end of the day the support personal are the link between the public and DigiChilli. If that relationship fails then the company’s image will suffer.

So there we are. The obvious has been stated. All that is left is to wait and hope.
 
On my 384 line everything has been fine from saturday, been getting 20KBS at least and bursting to 35 - 40 most of the time. I dont wanna speak too soon, but i believe DC might be getting somewhere with all their probs.
 
On my 384 line everything has been fine from saturday, been getting 20KBS at least and bursting to 35 - 40 most of the time. I dont wanna speak too soon, but i believe DC might be getting somewhere with all their probs.

on what are you downloading? Some downloading is working great, other not at all, so no, when they fix one, they seem to break another. lets just hope all works soon
 
On my 384 line everything has been fine from saturday, been getting 20KBS at least and bursting to 35 - 40 most of the time. I dont wanna speak too soon, but i believe DC might be getting somewhere with all their probs.

I'm happy for you, but there are still some of us who are getting horrible speeds, my Gmail, ftp and VPN is not working. I do research and pull a lot from Gartner and Forrester via http, I get 3KB on multithread if I'm lucky, so I would tend to think that they still have huge issues...and no updates from Dave does not make things any easier.

I'll give them till month end, then I unfortunately will be moving my account if these problems are not resolved...sad, but this is too painful :(
 
Morning

My skype is still not working
FTP up and down still sit at 1kb/s
IM, MSN still dont log in Gtalk is very unstable, it works for a time then it just goes dead
gmail, i struggle to send via the web, it send but it taks some time to go trough
Browsing is good
torrents are also good (as long as you have a DC seed)
 
Last edited:
//SNIP//

So there we are. The obvious has been stated. All that is left is to wait and hope.

I agree with everything you said. Communication has been surely lacking.

They might be building a new website which will supposedly offer alot more information, but in the meantime they should be keeping all their customers in the loop. They should also state clearly on the websites homepage that the network is still highly unstable and not really fit for full time use.

They are burning a lot of bridges with their current method.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X