Discovery Vitality [2018]

My first year on diamond and 89 700 to go. Ended last year on 96 000 odd where I had to pull in all the activity points using an Apple Watch. Really need to get a fitbit or something for the wife and son. I remember you could get fitness devices through your medical savings at one stage, but could not find anything today. The cheapest fitbit is 1500 bucks!

brianj74

Still have to fight for my glaucoma points to be allocated from last year so I can stay on diamond... App says silver at the moment, kicking myself for cutting it so fine

krycor

Honorary Master
My first year on diamond and 89 700 to go. Ended last year on 96 000 odd where I had to pull in all the activity points using an Apple Watch. Really need to get a fitbit or something for the wife and son. I remember you could get fitness devices through your medical savings at one stage, but could not find anything today. The cheapest fitbit is 1500 bucks!
My device is two years old.. thinking of trading in and getting a new cellular one(in US) & getting a new(WiFi one) contract/Discovery for her.

Although not entirely sold on the idea just yet.. partly because the only advantage the watch offers is pedometer (your phone does this) & hr for 80%.. at gym. She doesn’t do the cardio so..

My device is two years old.. thinking of trading in and getting a new cellular one(in US) & getting a new(WiFi one) contract/Discovery for her.

Although not entirely sold on the idea just yet.. partly because the only advantage the watch offers is pedometer (your phone does this) & hr for 80%.. at gym. She doesn’t do the cardio so..
Yeah the wife does not jog either and her phone is now set up to register steps as she is on her feet all day with her phone.

I run just about every day like 4am and the series 3 without the cellular through Discovery gets the job done, running without getting bugged with the phone with its built in gps, and also waterproof compared to the 1.

Ryansr

Expert Member
This should actually be posted under Off-Topic. Only topics relating to the heading Health, Wealth, Leisure and Relationships should be posted in here.

Ejeckt

New member here. Trying to make sense of this whole thing. Would appreciate it if someone could shed some light on a few things for me.

Mainly now trying to figure out what the status (bronze, silver, gold) is for. I see there's discounts for flights and extra miles earn multipliers for using the Discovery Credit Card. Anything besides that? From what I understand, the 25% cashback for healthy food and HealthyCare things is dependent on doing the vitality age survey and the health assessment, and not on the status level.

For the Discovery CC, on gold status it looks like you get +/- 3.5% back in discovery miles for shopping at one of six stores or some % cashback from other stores (which I don't really use). My current payment card gives me around 4% cashback (and then I use FNB for 15% eBucks for fuel) and is accepted at all the same stores that earn discovery miles (plus WW :)) except Totalsports and Sportsmans Warehouse.

Looking at the fees for the discovery CC, doesn't really make sense for me to get it until Diamond level (unless I start needing to fly a lot)

More or less correct?

And wealth :p

Last edited:

phoneJunky

Executive Member
Health - Related to the health benefits you can get
Wealth - Related to the money you can save
Leisure - Related with its travelling partners etc
Relationships - psychological etc tests on basic relationships in the work place and home

It literally falls into each of the categories named in the heading - Probably the most applicable thread in this section.

krycor

Honorary Master
New member here. Trying to make sense of this whole thing. Would appreciate it if someone could shed some light on a few things for me.

Mainly now trying to figure out what the status (bronze, silver, gold) is for. I see there's discounts for flights and extra miles earn multipliers for using the Discovery Credit Card. Anything besides that? From what I understand, the 25% cashback for healthy food and HealthyCare things is dependent on doing the vitality age survey and the health assessment, and not on the status level.

For the Discovery CC, on gold status it looks like you get +/- 3.5% back in discovery miles for shopping at one of six stores or some % cashback from other stores (which I don't really use). My current payment card gives me around 4% cashback (and then I use FNB for 15% eBucks for fuel) and is accepted at all the same stores that earn discovery miles (plus WW :)) except Totalsports and Sportsmans Warehouse.

Looking at the fees for the discovery CC, doesn't really make sense for me to get it until Diamond level (unless I start needing to fly a lot)

More or less correct?

If I recall correctly healthy foods is completely Independant of Vitality status hence ideally you need to have assessments done in the 1st two months.

The flight benefits are independant of Discovery Card.. and cashback & miles multiplier at selected merchants are the only real wins for the card. I am going to try that this year briefly to see if it’s worth it but yea torn between cancelling or not as eBucks is awesome.

More or less correct?

That is it pretty much. I don't really use the discounts on flights and travel as we do timeshare etc. The real benefit I guess if you integrate all their products. I have my medical, policies and insurance with them. The insurance on its own is NOT the cheapest for one, but the fuel rewards and lifestyle benefits does swing it for me. You can get up to R800 back on fuel spent and 25% cashback on your preferred partners say Dischem and PnP in my case which is 250 bucks on a R1000 spent on Vitality items. Using your Discovery card also gives you x10 miles that can add up quickly. Then there is the shoe booster and Apple Watch benefit I use. I don't go to a gym but you can get that funded as well.

Then there is the discount on my life cover as well as % back on your premiums which is a couple of thousand for me every 2 years I think.

Bottom line yes all those tedious tests and stuff every year to get the max % though, reaching your vitality targets every week running or going to the gym... : (

And it helps integrating all the products so not for everyone but that works for me with my financial advisor with them as well.

Ejeckt

That is it pretty much. I don't really use the discounts on flights and travel as we do timeshare etc. The real benefit I guess if you integrate all their products. I have my medical, policies and insurance with them. The insurance on its own is NOT the cheapest for one, but the fuel rewards and lifestyle benefits does swing it for me. You can get up to R800 back on fuel spent and 25% cashback on your preferred partners say Dischem and PnP in my case which is 250 bucks on a R1000 spent on Vitality items. Using your Discovery card also gives you x10 miles that can add up quickly. Then there is the shoe booster and Apple Watch benefit I use. I don't go to a gym but you can get that funded as well.

Then there is the discount on my life cover as well as % back on your premiums which is a couple of thousand for me every 2 years I think.

Bottom line yes all those tedious tests and stuff every year to get the max % though, reaching your vitality targets every week running or going to the gym... : (

And it helps integrating all the products so not for everyone but that works for me with my financial advisor with them as well.
Ah, so being in a higher status tier has benefits for other discovery products like life insurance?

I'll definitely try for gold but it's nice to know I don't need to desperately try and attain it asap.

krycor

Honorary Master
An interesting I noticed was that you don’t get discounted gym once you hit 36 visits.. rather it’s a month later or maybe even two as their system pays in arrears

An interesting I noticed was that you don’t get discounted gym once you hit 36 visits.. rather it’s a month later or maybe even two as their system pays in arrears
One of the few people who actually get to the gym that much

I run pass the Sunward Virgin Active and expecting traffic jams at 4am next week though!

Method

Executive Member
Anyone else having difficulties with getting workout points? Specifically using Apple Watch?

krycor

Honorary Master
Anyone else having difficulties with getting workout points? Specifically using Apple Watch?
Processing seems to be slow.. eg yesterday’s step count still has not processed albeit I sync’d the 10k steps at 8pm last night. Usually it’s a handful min.