Disney +

Arzy

Honorary Master
Out of curiosity, how does your setup look for Smartdns?

Did you add the addresses directly to your router's config? I'm using the SmartDns Client app which I manually activate on my MiBox when the wife and I want to watch Disney+. However, I found that Showmax and DSTV Now's apps have difficulties in accessing content using the local DNS addresses. It's a bit of a hit and miss affair, sometimes it works, other times it doesn't.

But it's quick and easy to turn it off via the app before accessing Showmax or DSTV Now, so it's not a huge train smash. The nice thing about the SmartDNS client app is that I don't need to activate my IP via the website each time I power off my router + ONT. The app does it automatically for me.

@Jasondruck - The easiest way to get Disney+ installed on your MiBox without side loading it, is to create a new Google account using a US based VPN. Log in with that account on your MiBox (or add it to your existing one) and then open up the Google Play store. You'll find it there. Just select it and choose install. Done and dusted :cool:
Directly in the router for me.

Azg

Expert Member
Out of curiosity, how does your setup look for Smartdns?

Did you add the addresses directly to your router's config? I'm using the SmartDns Client app which I manually activate on my MiBox when the wife and I want to watch Disney+. However, I found that Showmax and DSTV Now's apps have difficulties in accessing content using the local DNS addresses. It's a bit of a hit and miss affair, sometimes it works, other times it doesn't.

But it's quick and easy to turn it off via the app before accessing Showmax or DSTV Now, so it's not a huge train smash. The nice thing about the SmartDNS client app is that I don't need to activate my IP via the website each time I power off my router + ONT. The app does it automatically for me.

@Jasondruck - The easiest way to get Disney+ installed on your MiBox without side loading it, is to create a new Google account using a US based VPN. Log in with that account on your MiBox (or add it to your existing one) and then open up the Google Play store. You'll find it there. Just select it and choose install. Done and dusted :cool:
Are you using Getflix? I can't find any client app for Smartdnsproxy.

martin

Expert Member
NordVPN worked fairly well with Disney+ up until yesterday. I tried a whole bunch of their servers these past two days but was not able to access Disney+ content at all.

Radorn

NordVPN worked fairly well with Disney+ up until yesterday. I tried a whole bunch of their servers these past two days but was not able to access Disney+ content at all.
Strange mine still worked last night and just tested on my phone.

martin

Expert Member
It's by no means the end of the world but my whole family has really enjoyed The Mandalorian so far. I also do prefer to acquire content legally whenever possible. I realise that there is a debate raging about the legality of bypassing geo-restricted content but at least my money was winding up in the hands of the people that own/license the content which is better than nothing in my opinion.

martin

Expert Member
Strange mine still worked last night and just tested on my phone.
NordVPN has so many servers (especially in the USA) so there very likely are some that are still working but I haven't been able to pick a single server that wasn't geo-blocked and eventually I gave up.

elf_lord_ZC5

Expert Member
It's by no means the end of the world but my whole family has really enjoyed The Mandalorian so far. I also do prefer to acquire content legally whenever possible. I realise that there is a debate raging about the legality of bypassing geo-restricted content but at least my money was winding up in the hands of the people that own/license the content which is better than nothing in my opinion.
My preference as well, but if they make it not a viable option, then, so be it. Not my choice but theirs.

Radorn

NordVPN has so many servers (especially in the USA) so there very likely are some that are still working but I haven't been able to pick a single server that wasn't geo-blocked and eventually I gave up.
I just always hit the "fastest server" in USA button. Hasn't let me down yet. Here's hoping.

Charlesjjm

Stupid question, but how do you pay for this service? The proxy thingy works, but it does not like my credit card.

StoneCold

Expert Member
I created a new Paypal account, selected US as country and added my SA CC without any issues. Works like a charm.
Yup, that works.

Initially a took the long path of buying a Google Play store voucher for $10 (via offgamers) and then activated it on my cell via the D+ app, so I'll use that for my first month. However, I'll be switching over to the Paypal method from January as I too made a US Paypal account yesterday to which I added my CC. Much easier and less hassle, that's for sure :)

Deadmanza

Honorary Master
I created a new Paypal account, selected US as country and added my SA CC without any issues. Works like a charm.
Thanks!! This worked like a charm and it was extremely easy to use.

Next question, which DNS provider currently works?
Are you guys just adding static DNS to your TVs?

martin

Expert Member
Probably the reason Nordvpn is blocking Disney+ now

I came across that same article a few days ago but apparently there is some doubt about the claims the author makes. There is a concern that the author is misunderstanding how the Akamai headers are being constructed and using this to conclude that residential customers are being used as proxies.