Distance learning - Computer Science Degree

dalefrench

Hey guys

I have been a software developer for the past 6 odd years and only have a couple certificates to my name. I'm thinking about doing a CS degree through Unisa or similar and am just seeking some advice from other developers who have done the same.

- Is Unisa a reputable university for a CS degree?
- Is the Unisa CS curriculum up to date?
- Are there any other colleges / universities that offer CS degree via distance learning?
- How hectic is it to do a CS degree while still working full-time?

Thanks in advance!

cguy

Expert Member
Yes.
Yes.
Nothing I would recommend.
It's difficult, but many people do it - you don't have to complete it in 3 years, so you can take it slow too.

Brawler

Executive Member
I did mine while working and did ok and it was definitely worthwhile.
Actually I miss studying in the evenings now.

c10n3d_0r6

Yes Unisa is reputable and their curriculum is up to date (I just wrote my last exam today). How hectic it is depends on how many modules you take at once. I took the maximum possible which was ok for all the years except this last year. I've basically had no social life, but I'm done (Assuming I pass).

Their admin processes can be a bit of a drag, but they do have some competent people working there. I think the shear number of students applying to study can slow things down, but once you're registered everything generally works well.

dalefrench

Thanks!

Out of curiosity, what are the main programming languages taught in this degree?

dalefrench

Thanks!

Out of curiosity, what are the main programming languages taught in this degree?

Urist

Expert Member
probably c++ and python
The specific language is probably less important what what you think.

Last edited:

HeftyCrab

Expert Member
Thanks!

Im doing the Bsc Informatics, that has a lot of similar modules. Im doing C++ and did some delphi. I believe at one stage the second delphi course was going to be swopped to python (1st one was good. 2nd was totally useless and a waste of time, badly supported).

The C++ modules are solid though.

Think the CS degree might have some Assembly in it as well.

Last edited:

Potential CS

I did mine while working and did ok and it was definitely worthwhile.
Actually I miss studying in the evenings now.
How did you get a job without a qualification? It's difficult enough with one so I can't imagine how hard it must be without one. I would appreciate the opportunity to work while studying as well.

Brawler

Executive Member
How did you get a job without a qualification? It's difficult enough with one so I can't imagine how hard it must be without one. I would appreciate the opportunity to work while studying as well.
I got a diploma straight after matric.
Used the diploma to get foot in door (i.e. R3k pm job) and have worked my way up. After a few years started the BSc.

Potential CS

I got a diploma straight after matric.
Used the diploma to get foot in door (i.e. R3k pm job) and have worked my way up. After a few years started the BSc.
What are the chances of one getting a job with just a matric and studying part-time with UNISA in the tech industry?

mr_norris

Expert Member
What are the chances of one getting a job with just a matric and studying part-time with UNISA in the tech industry?
Depends on the circumstances / company you are trying to get in. I was studying comp sci and had nothing other than matric when I went for my interview. Not sure why they agreed to take me, but they did. I think the fact that I was studying towards something they wanted an employee to have really helped. Don't underestimate that.

Potential CS

Depends on the circumstances / company you are trying to get in. I was studying comp sci and had nothing other than matric when I went for my interview. Not sure why they agreed to take me, but they did. I think the fact that I was studying towards something they wanted an employee to have really helped. Don't underestimate that.
I don't know but maybe you could be of assistance in the tech companies you'd suggest one approach under such circumstances?

cguy

Expert Member
I don't know but maybe you could be of assistance in the tech companies you'd suggest one approach under such circumstances?
Do you have any relevant skill sets yet? I would focus on self teaching yourself some some useful base line skills. E.g., if you have experience building, configuring and networking your own PCs, perhaps desktop support or junior sys admin. If you have any self taught programming skills or web dev skills, these may come in handy.

I did some small (approx two week each) freelance coding projects when I was in high school, another small coding contract when I was in 1st year. I worked for the university from 2nd year onwards as a student worker (tutor, TA, etc.).

Even this small amount of experience helped me with my studies and first permanent software dev job.

Potential CS

I've been learning programming and coding by myself since the beginning of the year just to refresh since I last did it when I was in high school.

So far I'm well versed with python and HTML... I'm trying to familiarize myself with the other programming languages as well.

It's just hard not having an income at the moment with bills and rent waiting to be paid every month.

I'm even squatting with a friend right now.