Do you own a smartwatch?

• Yes

Votes: 120 50.4%
  • No

Votes: 118 49.6%

• Total voters

Volksieboi

Expert Member
I've heard now is not the time to buy smartwatches. Word has it that the new generation are going to be far superior in battery life and coprocessor capacity... and Google buying fossil
https://techcrunch.com/2019/01/17/google-is-buying-fossils-smartwatch-tech-for-40-million/
Its the age old addage when it comes to anything tech. If you wait for better, you'll wait forever.

As things stand smartwatches are a luxury and not a necessity in the sense that a smartphone is.

IMO, the applications are more on the health side of things. (fitness tracking, etc.).
Thats the main reason i got the gear sport. Tracking your Workouts, calories, fitness progress, etc is a great way to stay motivated when it comes to keeping healthy. The smart features are an added bonus. I also didnt want something that needed to be charged every night.

Also, samsung has been very good with keeping the devices relevant, as they understand that its not like a phone that will probably be upgraded every year or 2 years.

The Tizen 4.0.0.2 update for the GS3 and Gear Sport brings them upto par with the latest devices (Galaxy watch)

Daruk

Honorary Master
Its the age old addage when it comes to anything tech. If you wait for better, you'll wait forever.

As things stand smartwatches are a luxury and not a necessity in the sense that a smartphone is.

IMO, the applications are more on the health side of things. (fitness tracking, etc.).
Thats the main reason i got the gear sport. Tracking your Workouts, calories, fitness progress, etc is a great way to stay motivated when it comes to keeping healthy. The smart features are an added bonus. I also didnt want something that needed to be charged every night.

Also, samsung has been very good with keeping the devices relevant, as they understand that its not like a phone that will probably be upgraded every year or 2 years.

The Tizen 4.0.0.2 update for the GS3 and Gear Sport brings them upto par with the latest devices (Galaxy watch)
Yeah, I like smartwaches too, I just don't like the 3 day battery cycle, hence I'm happy to wait for the new gen.

isie

Honorary Master
Except timing does count when it's months rather than years.
https://www.droid-life.com/2018/08/13/do-not-buy-a-smartwatch-right-now/
If you absolutely need one now, knock yourself out, I'm just pointing out that the new gen is likely to blow the old gen out of the water. On the flipside, they will be available for next to nothing after the new gen are announced if you don't have to have the latest and greatest.
google buying Fossil IP is a good sign maybe we even get a pixel watch which would be awesome but like the pixel phone won't end up on sale here :(
funnily enough i was looking at the Fossil smart watches but settle back on samsung - that Bezel just gets me :)
not sure why its not been copied so far - apple has that crown navigation but its not even close

Yeah, I like smartwaches too, I just don't like the 3 day battery cycle, hence I'm happy to wait for the new gen.
3 days lol more like 1 day - 2 days if you very lucky

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
google buying Fossil IP is a good sign maybe we even get a pixel watch which would be awesome but like the pixel phone won't end up on sale here :(
funnily enough i was looking at the Fossil smart watches but settle back on samsung - that Bezel just gets me :)
not sure why its not been copied so far - apple has that crown navigation but its not even close

I get about 5 days out of my Amazfit and that is with me using it for bluetooth music, when I go to gym, swimming and receiving notifications etc

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
Amazifit is great for batterylife cos of the e-ink display instead of amoled.
Cool if that is what it is but I am happy with the display and can see it clearly so not phased about it not being amoled.

"great".

I am still getting 12-14 days out of my Huawei GT, with 24 hour heart rate monitoring and sleep monitoring...
That's excellent battery life for a smart watch. Do you use it for notifications, bluetooth music or gyming as well?

I also have my 24 hour heart monitor and sleep mode on mine 24/7 as well

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Cool if that is what it is but I am happy with the display and can see it clearly so not phased about it not being amoled.

That's excellent battery life for a smart watch. Do you use it for notifications, bluetooth music or gyming as well?

I also have my 24 hour heart monitor and sleep mode on mine 24/7 as well
Hi
Not for bluetooth music, no. Yes, for gym/walking GPS tracking but not as often as I should. Yes for notifications.

isie

Honorary Master
"great".

I am still getting 12-14 days out of my Huawei GT, with 24 hour heart rate monitoring and sleep monitoring...
How is that on day to day usage compared to any other smart watch you have used before?
heard lack of apps is an issue currently?

Sinbad

Honorary Master
How is that on day to day usage compared to any other smart watch you have used before?
heard lack of apps is an issue currently?
Correct there are no custom apps, but I don't really feel that. Not sure what more I'd want the watch to do than what it does. I can't see myself trying to compose an email on it somehow, or talking to it like The Hoff in Knight Rider ;) Can you give me some examples perhaps? (I haven't spent a lot of time with Gear type devices so I'm not sure what's out there)

A music player would be good I guess, for going on runs without my phone, but that's not high on the list. I'd probably have my phone on me anyway.

Volksieboi

Expert Member
Correct there are no custom apps, but I don't really feel that. Not sure what more I'd want the watch to do than what it does. I can't see myself trying to compose an email on it somehow, or talking to it like The Hoff in Knight Rider ;) Can you give me some examples perhaps? (I haven't spent a lot of time with Gear type devices so I'm not sure what's out there)

A music player would be good I guess, for going on runs without my phone, but that's not high on the list. I'd probably have my phone on me anyway.
True, keeping it simple helps. I'm with you in that i would never write an email on my watch. I do respond to the odd Whatsapp msg here and there but its usually a :love: or a :whistling: to the wifey.

I also dont want this thing going off everytime i get a notification. I get alerts from the apps that i need alerts from - Whatsapp, Prayer Times app, Cricinfo, weather. Thats pretty much it.

As for 3rd party apps, I hardly use them. I tried myfitnesspall, mapmyrun for a while in the begining, but i dont like that some data gets stored in one app and others in S Health. I ended up using the Samsung health app for everything. Its just easier and S Health is good enough for my needs. It even has workouts that you can sign up for.

I also use it with my BT earphones when i go on solo runs.

The bezel interface also makes navigation really slick and intuitive. Samsung really nailed that.

Oh and i have a ton of watchfaces :)

Daruk

Honorary Master
True that lol, though my TomTom wasn't too bad. Maybe I just didn't use it often enough... though strictly speaking I wouldn't call it a smart watch.

isie

Honorary Master

lol would you believe i missed the phone feature in the Gear S2 compared to the old gear 2 , glad thats back in the watch.

a Camera would be nice to have again , not for sneaky picks but i would get good footage on roller coasters with it

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
Quite impressed with the Fenix3HR's battery life. GPS is on for +- 2 hours a week. Charge it every second or third week.
Yeah. I have the 645, and using it for notifications, activity tracking and HRM combined with about 1 hour of GPS a day - where it links to a bluetooth HRM for higher accuracy, I still get about 1-1.5 weeks of battery life.

Qrox

Expert Member
Using a Samsung Gear Fit 2 Pro.
Definitely not top of the line, but good enough for what I want.

Might go for something more powerful in a couple of years or if this one breaks.