• Yes

Votes: 121 50.2%
  • No

Votes: 120 49.8%

• Total voters

Brawler

Executive Member
Yes. Moto 360 Sport.
The watch itself worked well but I found it a nuisance so I haven't used it in many months.

Asgard85

Impressive. A friend of mine has an Apple Watch of somesorts and he has to charge it everynight when he goes to sleep
I too have an Apple watch and the battery really isn't great at all. I long ago abandoned any idea of tracking sleep. My partner has a Garmin something or other that is about 2 years old and seems to have the battery of a Nokia 3310 - it never seems to need a charge!

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
I have the Xiaomi Amazfit stratos.

Bettery life is about 5 days with gps on and with me using the gym tracker when I go to gym as well as listening to music while at the gym through the bluetooth.

Quite a nice little device.
Only thing it seems to be missing is the pay system.

isie

Honorary Master
Moved up from my Gear S2 to the Galaxy watch.

I dont have samsung phone anymore - but i just love the Bezel of the samsungs :)

mrichard

Garmin Forerunner 235

I have used the smart features for a few months, like reading whatsapps etc. But don't use the smart features anymore. Just wear normal watches now. I only use my garmin for running.

Volksieboi

Expert Member
Moved up from my Gear S2 to the Galaxy watch.

I dont have samsung phone anymore - but i just love the Bezel of the samsungs :)
The bezel navigation is a winner for Samsung IMO.
A clean screen and you can actually see what you are doing.

And the Samsungs battery life beats android wear devices hands down.

Apple watch users shouldnt even talk about battery life. lol

isie

Honorary Master
The bezel navigation is a winner for Samsung IMO.
A clean screen and you can actually see what you are doing.

And the Samsungs battery life beats android wear devices hands down.

Apple watch users shouldnt even talk about battery life. lol
Exactly makes the watch so easy to use.

and an added plus that i didn't expect to work without a samsung phone - samsung pay - so itching to test that out.

Volksieboi

Expert Member
Exactly makes the watch so easy to use.

and an added plus that i didn't expect to work without a samsung phone - samsung pay - so itching to test that out.
Same here. Just waiting for fnb to catch a wakeup

ebendl

Expert Member
Running an old Pebble Time round.

Think, gives me my notifications and battery lasts at least a day. Allows me to control music on my phone while I mow the lawn.

Not much else I need.

Volksieboi

Expert Member
Running an old Pebble Time round.

Think, gives me my notifications and battery lasts at least a day. Allows me to control music on my phone while I mow the lawn.

Not much else I need.
Do you still get support?

I liked the pebble concept. I thought that they nailed what a smartwatch needed to be. i.e. NOT a smartwatch on your wrist. Rather more notification orientated. its a shame they went out like they did.

I would of gotten one but then they got sold and Fitbit bought them, but i think they "broke them up for parts" instead of leveraging off of a different and unique approach to smart watches.

Who knows... maybe we'll see something similar

ebendl

Expert Member
Do you still get support?

I liked the pebble concept. I thought that they nailed what a smartwatch needed to be. i.e. NOT a smartwatch on your wrist. Rather more notification orientated. its a shame they went out like they did.

I would of gotten one but then they got sold and Fitbit bought them, but i think they "broke them up for parts" instead of leveraging off of a different and unique approach to smart watches.

Who knows... maybe we'll see something similar
No official support available.

There is a project called Rebble that aims to provide compatibility and some cloud services to existing owners: http://rebble.io/

So far I'm relatively happy with it -- I don't pay for any services such as weather but don't really need it either.

isie

Honorary Master
No official support available.

There is a project called Rebble that aims to provide compatibility and some cloud services to existing owners: http://rebble.io/

So far I'm relatively happy with it -- I don't pay for any services such as weather but don't really need it either.
you have to pay to check the weather?

Daruk

Honorary Master
I've heard now is not the time to buy smartwatches. Word has it that the new generation are going to be far superior in battery life and coprocessor capacity... and Google buying fossil
https://techcrunch.com/2019/01/17/google-is-buying-fossils-smartwatch-tech-for-40-million/

Rumors about a Pixel Watch have abounded for years. Such a device would certainly make sense as Google attempts to prove the viability of its struggling wearable operating system, Wear OS. Seems the company is finally getting serious about the prospect. Today Fossil announced plans to sell its smartwatch IP to the software giant for $40 million.
Sounds like Google will be getting a nice head start here as well. The deal pertains to “a smartwatch technology currently under development” and involves the transfer of a number of Fossil employees to team Google.
“Wearables, built for wellness, simplicity, personalization and helpfulness, have the opportunity to improve lives by bringing users the information and insights they need quickly, at a glance,” Wear OS VP Stacey Burr said in a statement. “The addition of Fossil Group’s technology and team to Google demonstrates our commitment to the wearables industry by enabling a diverse portfolio of smartwatches and supporting the ever-evolving needs of the vitality-seeking, on-the-go consumer.”
Like the Pixel before it, a Google -created smartwatch could ultimately serve as a proving group for the company’s open operating system. Wearables in general have struggled recently, and Wear OS is certainly not an exception. A rebrand and redesign haven’t done much to shake loose the cobwebs. In fact, Fossil has remained a rare constant, developing reasonably priced, fitness-focused products sporting the software.
The smartwatch category continues to be dominated by Apple’s offerings, and top competitors Fitbit and Samsung have opted to go different routes, supporting the Pebble-based Fitbit OS and Tizen, respectively. All of this has left Google struggling to differentiate itself and its partners’ offerings. Fossil’s team certainly has the know how to build solid watch hardware, so this could prove a solid match.
Fossil is quick to note, of course, that it’s still got a team of 200 working on R&D, and while the company is no doubt losing some quality employees, it’s still committed to wearable tech.
“Fossil Group has experienced significant success in its wearables business by focusing on product design and development informed by our strong understanding of consumers’ needs and style preferences,” Fossil EVP Greg McKelvey said in a statement. “We’ve built and advanced a technology that has the potential to improve upon our existing platform of smartwatches. Together with Google, our innovation partner, we’ll continue to unlock growth in wearables.”
From the outside, at least, this looks to be a similar (albeit much smaller scale) deal to the one Google struck with HTC to help bolster its smartphone offerings.

Last edited:

ebendl

Expert Member
you have to pay to check the weather?
Well since Pebble closed their doors, Fitbit ran the Pebble servers for I think another 18 months or so. Afterwards the Rebble project took over.

At the moment they support the following:

As such, you are free to enjoy the following services:
  • appstore - browse and download watchfaces and apps
  • locker - your personalized local cache of watchfaces and apps, as well as the ability to configure those that are configurable
  • firmware - make sure your watch is running the latest available bits!
  • language packs - Rebble is a worldwide movement - look at all this language support
  • support pages - we’re here to help - or at least these mirrored docs are!
For just $3/month, you can also enjoy:
  • dictation - reply or compose messages with your voice like some futuristic Dick Tracy!
  • weather - not just what it’s doing right now, but in the future too - know whether to bring an umbrella to tomorrow’s sunset - and when!
Many of the watchfaces I use supports weather but using say WeatherUnderground's API to which I already have a dev account, so I don't have to use the OFFICIAL weather services or app and thus pay for it. And i don't need to check weather on my watch.

But yes, if you use say an apple watch and the official weather app, then Apple pays to use that API.

isie

Honorary Master
I've heard now is not the time to buy smartwatches. Word has it that the new generation are going to be far superior in battery life and processing capacity... and Google buying fossil
https://techcrunch.com/2019/01/17/google-is-buying-fossils-smartwatch-tech-for-40-million/

like any Technology it always improves so if you want to have the best now you buy now - those new ones are already be planned to be replaced before they are out.

Well since Pebble closed their doors, Fitbit ran the Pebble servers for I think another 18 months or so. Afterwards the Rebble project took over.

At the moment they support the following:

Many of the watchfaces I use supports weather but using say WeatherUnderground's API to which I already have a dev account, so I don't have to use the OFFICIAL weather services or app and thus pay for it. And i don't need to check weather on my watch.

But yes, if you use say an apple watch and the official weather app, then Apple pays to use that API.
ahh ok due to the servers being taken over makes sense - thought it was an alway like that think

Daruk

Honorary Master
like any Technology it always improves so if you want to have the best now you buy now - those new ones are already be planned to be replaced before they are out.
Except timing does count when it's months rather than years.
https://www.droid-life.com/2018/08/13/do-not-buy-a-smartwatch-right-now/
If you absolutely need one now, knock yourself out, I'm just pointing out that the new gen is likely to blow the old gen out of the water. On the flipside, they will be available for next to nothing after the new gen are announced if you don't have to have the latest and greatest.