Dog Pellets From Woolworths

Datura

Captain Faptastic
Worms and insects aren't kosher so in order to ensure that lettuce is kosher it is placed in luke warm salt water for 20 minutes. I do it all the time and am always amazed at the amount of little goggas I find floating afterwards.

blonde one

Expert Member
You're definately blowing this out of proportion. How was Woolworths meant to know that the food was contaminated? Most of the stuff they sell, especially the dog food, is not produced or manufactured by them. It's rebranded. I'm sure you know this?

Woolworths probably removed the dog food purely because people were less inclined to buy it after the accident (which wasn't Woolworths' fault as explained above). As stated earlier, this happened a while ago, and obviously once alerted about dog deaths they would remove all stock of the contaminated batch and replace it with fresh, probably tested stock.

My point is that there is no need to "thank goodness" because there would have been no risk in buying the food.
I disagree and I don't think I'm blowing anything out of proportion. The fact is that aniamls have died from eating this product! That in itself is reason enough for alarm.

VernD

Executive Member
But unfortunately that's what happened - Woolworths should be banned from producing such foodstuffs until they can guarantee a quality control method that is foolproof.
Firstly, Woolworths does not "produce" anything; their suppliers do.

Secondly, banning is a bit harsh don't you think ?

Thirdly, Woolworths' quallity assurance measures are a cut above the rest that's why you pay nore for their products - they are worth every cent though.

Thirdly, this whole incident, was an accident - see it for what it was.

disabled

Expert Member
Worms will forever be in lettuces'. It no big deal, just toss the worm away.

Does lettuce packaging have a warning about worms?
Yes I agree we supplied a lot of leetuces to other folks, we warned them about lettuces and worms well the majority did not find any and those that did just washed them off, I think our lettuces where great!...we gave our neighbour a whole consignment for their pigs, but they kept a lot for themselves and had no problems, besides All fruit and vegetables should be washed off so you wash off the worms, I'm sure people have eaten worse than a worm filled with lettuce

I'm not so sure as I have said that we did not do the proccessing so we did not do the packaging how ever the packets are marked organic, I am to believe that the quality control are very strict on this because if Woolworths finds foreign things worm etc the company that proccesses and packages gets a huge fine...

PS I'd love to find a worm in my sald mix bought from Woolworths LOL

But I must say that that this was not just for us, it is aimed at all farmers whether conventional or Organic the rule seems to be for everyone Worms etc

Last edited:

Boodles

Executive Member
Worms and insects aren't kosher so in order to ensure that lettuce is kosher it is placed in luke warm salt water for 20 minutes. I do it all the time and am always amazed at the amount of little goggas I find floating afterwards.
Maybe woolies and others should be looking at a 'worm salad'. lol. Assuming those worms are edible.

Those worms are surely usefull.

disabled

Expert Member
Maybe woolies and others should be looking at a 'worm salad'. lol. Assuming those worms are edible.

Those worms are surely usefull.
:D ...To me Organic is a healthier way to living..Organics means that it's grown natural, no chemicals,fertilizers and poisons are used in the growing process...(This is for people who don't know what Organics is)

Datura

Captain Faptastic
:D ...To me Organic is a healthier way to living..Organics means that it's grown natural, no chemicals,fertilizers and poisons are used in the growing process...(This is for people who don't know what Organics is)
Then you will probably find this place interesting. Worked and lived there for just over a year. I worked with spiders that eat worms that tunnel in leaves. Fascinating place.

disabled

Expert Member
Then you will probably find this place interesting. Worked and lived there for just over a year. I worked with spiders that eat worms that tunnel in leaves. Fascinating place.
Many thanks it is interesting...I think a lot of people here should go there I have heard that it is amazing

JK8

Banned
But you eat 7 spiders a year while you asleep.

Skeptik

Banned
I happen to have worked very closely with the Woolworths food technology department; they test their products on a 3-month cycle, just to check the integrity of the product. So, yes, they wouldn't have picked up that problem because they don't test every consignment. They rely very much on feedback from their customers - not that I'm saying that a few dogs has to die first before they detect the problem.

As for the fresh produce side, every consignment is inspected visually by the fresh produce food technologists. Production is not an issue because you, as the supplier, would have already been audited before they accepted you as a supplier. You would have also signed an acceptance agreement, part of which states that you will produce the product within their specifications. So, if their was worms/ a worm in your product, you are basically in breach of that agreement, which gives them the right to cancel your consignment. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Well I was told by senior people at Woolworths that they DO NOT test their products routinely. In fact, they only test things when there is a complaint or other reason. This is why they just turn around and say, "it wasn't us, it was our suppliers". It gives them deniability.

It took me more than 4 months to find out what ingredient was in a certain product - which gives an indication about how they regard their customers. When they finally came back to me after some heavy prodding, they said they couldn't tell me the answer because it "was too complicated to understand". They also promised to improve labelling, which at the moment is very sparse. That was more than a year ago and, you guessed it - NO CHANGE>

Regarding the dog food. How long did it take after they became aware of a potential problem before they withdrew the product?? Go find out and come back and tell us ...
prepare to be shocked:eek: .

blonde one

Expert Member
Firstly, Woolworths does not "produce" anything; their suppliers do.

Secondly, banning is a bit harsh don't you think ?

Thirdly, Woolworths' quallity assurance measures are a cut above the rest that's why you pay nore for their products - they are worth every cent though.

Thirdly, this whole incident, was an accident - see it for what it was.
Please take my comments as being the opinion (heated or not) of someone who is passionate about animals and their welfare!
Unnecessary death to pets due to the errors of others makes me angry and whether it's accidental or not will not alter my feelings, irrational though they may seem.
This is me purely speaking from my heart, I'm not trying to force my views on anyone or start a heated debate, just letting off steam through the forum.

disabled

Expert Member
Please take my comments as being the opinion (heated or not) of someone who is passionate about animals and their welfare!
Unnecessary death to pets due to the errors of others makes me angry and whether it's accidental or not will not alter my feelings, irrational though they may seem.
This is me purely speaking from my heart, I'm not trying to force my views on anyone or start a heated debate, just letting off steam through the forum.
Like your sig it looks quite cool:)

VernD

Executive Member
Taken in stride :)

VernD

Executive Member
Well I was told by senior people at Woolworths that they DO NOT test their products routinely. In fact, they only test things when there is a complaint or other reason. This is why they just turn around and say, "it wasn't us, it was our suppliers". It gives them deniability.

It took me more than 4 months to find out what ingredient was in a certain product - which gives an indication about how they regard their customers. When they finally came back to me after some heavy prodding, they said they couldn't tell me the answer because it "was too complicated to understand". They also promised to improve labelling, which at the moment is very sparse. That was more than a year ago and, you guessed it - NO CHANGE>

Regarding the dog food. How long did it take after they became aware of a potential problem before they withdrew the product?? Go find out and come back and tell us ...
prepare to be shocked:eek: .
It would be interesting to know who thos SENIOR people are as the food technologists deals directly with customers. And, AFAIK, they do routinely test their products - the interval for groceries might be longer than for fresh produce.

As for analysis of ingredients, they're not exactly equiped to do that kind of thing - I've been in, and seen, their labs; not making excuses for them here.