Dog Pellets From Woolworths

nthdimension

Everyone I know who has a Woolworths account and bought pet food from them on account has been contacted by Woolworths and told to bring the food back. Obviously they can't contact everyone else because they don't know who you are.

Actually if the food you bought had been contaminated with ethylene glycol your dogs would probably be more likely to have eaten it because animals typically like the taste.

Overall I have found the food quality in this country to be exceptional.

How much insecticide could possibly be on the outside of the can and make its way into the sealed food? More, less, than you're going to contaminate your home when you use the insecticide?

Skeptik

Banned
I wouldn't be suprised. Woolworths sells insectices on the same shelf
as food products for human consumption (snacks). Yes they're different
aisles but their shelves are stacked back to back with nothing seperating the
lethal insecticide from the food. I had to tell their management 3 times
about this - not sure if they even did anything.
Sadly WW are not very responsive when you speak to the store staff. Probably by the next time you visit, they'll have a new manager. In fact everyone you speak to seem to be a manager now:rolleyes:
Maybe try hellopeter.

Everyone I know who has a Woolworths account and bought pet food from them on account has been contacted by Woolworths and told to bring the food back. Obviously they can't contact everyone else because they don't know who you are.

Actually if the food you bought had been contaminated with ethylene glycol your dogs would probably be more likely to have eaten it because animals typically like the taste.

Overall I have found the food quality in this country to be exceptional.

How much insecticide could possibly be on the outside of the can and make its way into the sealed food? More, less, than you're going to contaminate your home when you use the insecticide?
Some odd comments here. Ethylene Glycol is antifreeze. It is toxic to any animal and causes kidney failure and other organ damage. I'm not sure how you worked out that "animals typically like the taste"!!

I hope you don't store your insectisides alongside your food at home:eek: . It just takes one tin to spill and the food is spoiled. There are rules set by health officials that prohibit the storage of such items together in supermarkets. It's also plain common sense.

The fact remains that WW and their suppliers were using a dodgy ingredient. (How would Eth. Glyc get into dog food - a cheap sweetener?) No testing was done on their product. They waited more than 2 months to recall the food and have not responded to some complaints about injuries to pets. To me that is just not on and someone's head should roll.

Claymore

Executive Member
Some odd comments here. Ethylene Glycol is antifreeze. It is toxic to any animal and causes kidney failure and other organ damage. I'm not sure how you worked out that "animals typically like the taste"!!
Pets do like it - it apparently has a somewhat sweet taste.

nthdimension

Ethylene Glycol is antifreeze. It is toxic to any animal and causes kidney failure and other organ damage. I'm not sure how you worked out that "animals typically like the taste"!!
You might want to try reading up on it. It has a sweet taste which is why it isn't unusual for animals to eat it if they encounter it. I didn't work out anything it is a simple fact that it has a sweet taste. Do you think poisons must taste bad?

Ethylene glycol is used in the manufacture of a wide variety of things. It is not just anti-freeze. It sounds like they found trace amounts and it is therefore likely to be an accidental contamination.

The fact remains that WW and their suppliers were using a dodgy ingredient. (How would Eth. Glyc get into dog food - a cheap sweetener?) No testing was done on their product. They waited more than 2 months to recall the food and have not responded to some complaints about injuries to pets. To me that is just not on and someone's head should roll.
No evidence they were using a poor ingredient or that it was deliberately added. You seem to think that ethylene glycol is used only as anti-freeze.

I have spoken to numerous people over the last couple of days and everyone has received responses from Woolworths. There is no evidence of a cover-up or that they held off notifying the public.

Skeptik

Banned
I have spoken to numerous people over the last couple of days and everyone has received responses from Woolworths. There is no evidence of a cover-up or that they held off notifying the public.
The evidence was printed in today's Weekend Argus. That person also bought the food via the web, but WW failed to notify him. In fact they never replied to a query via the WW website. I don't know how you can defend such complacency. You work there??

petlover

poison

Hi there, my mom-in-law buys cat food at woolies. Her cat didn't like it, my four did. My oldest cat had to be put down last week due to severe kidney failiure.

At first we had no idea what had caused it and didn't feel that it was old age as she was only 9 and i've had cats live a lot older. My vet got an email regarding the possibility of the food having traces of 'that stuff' and let me know.

I see that there are some headlines today about more pets dying.

I'm really dissappointed that Woolies and the manufacturers haven't put out a bulletin on the radio stations, TV and in all local papers warning people. I can know what all those people whos pets have died must be going through. My 6 year old cries every night for our kitty as she used to sleep on her bed. I miss her terribly too and they are not doing very much to let people know that there is a problem.

Stop arguing about how it tastes or doesn't taste and think about all the other implications.

Enjoy the rest of your day.