Dog Pellets From Woolworths

Syndyre

Honorary Master
Worms and insects aren't kosher so in order to ensure that lettuce is kosher it is placed in luke warm salt water for 20 minutes. I do it all the time and am always amazed at the amount of little goggas I find floating afterwards.
:eek: That's enough to put me off having salad again. :D

Cara

Expert Member
It's worthwhile complaining to Woolies when you get a dud product. I've received a few R50 gift vouchers for my efforts ... thanks Woolies! And they did get back to me regarding the problem. Last time it was a faulty machine that didn't fill up the milkshakes to the top.

disabled

Expert Member
It's worthwhile complaining to Woolies when you get a dud product. I've received a few R50 gift vouchers for my efforts ... thanks Woolies! And they did get back to me regarding the problem. Last time it was a faulty machine that didn't fill up the milkshakes to the top.
I must agree with you there, Woolies are very good at compensating the public if somethings not right also in their clothing dept...I have had complete satisfaction in that dept.

disabled

Expert Member
I disagree and I don't think I'm blowing anything out of proportion. The fact is that aniamls have died from eating this product! That in itself is reason enough for alarm.
Believe it or not there are pensioners who eat dog food because they cannot afford a proper meal

Skeptik

Banned
What if it had been some human food huh?
They did that already last week. Some sweets had peanut in them, but they didn't have it as an ingredient.

That was withdrawn before any people died.

Their dried sausage often has bone in it.
==
According to the news media, this dogfood problem was discovered between October and December and there was NO recall. The manufacturers were AquaNutro. One dog dies and the owner has spent "days" trying to get an answer from WW, but to no avail.

BTW, Aquanutro also make fishfood. Time to check on Nemo:D

disabled

Expert Member
They did that already last week. Some sweets had peanut in them, but they didn't have it as an ingredient.

That was withdrawn before any people died.

Their dried sausage often has bone in it.
==
According to the news media, this dogfood problem was discovered between October and December and there was NO recall. The manufacturers were AquaNutro. One dog dies and the owner has spent "days" trying to get an answer from WW, but to no avail.

BTW, Aquanutro also make fishfood. Time to check on Nemo:D
What recourse is there on this?...Certainly don't want a free packet of dog food...and monies not going to bring the dog back

disabled

Expert Member
Just received an SMS from woolies that we purchased dog pellets and to return them for a full refund...Thanks Woolworths

RompelStompel

http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/News/0,9294,2-7-1442_2073723,00.html

Johannesburg - A contaminant that forced the withdrawal of dog food from supermarket shelves had been traced to an ingredient in five product lines, said manufacturer AquaNutro on Thursday.

"The supplier of that specific ingredient was immediately notified of the contaminated raw material and our company cancelled all orders from the supplier," said AquaNutro managing director Dirk van der Linde.

The affected products were Omega Premium, Platinum Maintenance, DogSense Adult, K9 Generations and Export Product.

The presence of ethylene glycol was found after claims by dog owners and a veterinary surgeon in late 2006 and early 2007 that some AquaNutro products caused renal or kidney failure in dogs.

Extensive tests were initially negative until a detailed analysis tested positive for the contaminant, said Van der Linde.

The contaminant tested positive in a "limited number of batches" of some lines of dog food.

The raw material had originated in Europe, but was obtained through a local supplier.

New orders of the ingredient were placed with a different European supplier, he said.

Van der Linde said production of the five lines was on hold, and would resume once the ingredient arrived from the new supplier.

The factory was still producing other pet food products, he said.

"Customers can be assured that all our products comply with all health, hygiene and nutritional standards."

Van der Linde said distributors and interested parties were informed that tests were being conducted and warned before ethylene glycol was found

noxibox

Honorary Master
Yes it is I wonder if there's any recourse for those who lost their dogs...

And I mean Woolworths?

We use to supply Woolworths with Organic Assorted salad lettuces, and if they found a worm or so etc they would condemn our whole consignment of lettuces.:mad: I'm horrified that their quality control never picked this up!:mad:

The Animal food is packed by a company who packs for Woolworths under Woolworths brand name, Now my question is: Does this company pack under other brands that are still on the shelves in other stores??
It's a chemical that shouldn't be there. They also had to use extremely sensitive tests to detect the chemical. Standard tests did not detect it due to the very low level of contamination.

The question is are there any verified reports of pets dying because of the food? I mean is it actually linked or just a co-incidence?

Last edited:

noxibox

Honorary Master
Woolworths probably removed the dog food purely because people were less inclined to buy it after the accident (which wasn't Woolworths' fault as explained above). As stated earlier, this happened a while ago, and obviously once alerted about dog deaths they would remove all stock of the contaminated batch and replace it with fresh, probably tested stock.
They have tested all the foods, but only found minute trace amounts of the chemicals in one or two types of dog food. They are pulling their entire range until they find out the origin of the contamination.

There is no way they, or even the manufacturer, could necessarily have picked this up sooner. Unless everyone wants to pay a lot more for their food so every piece of every batch can be tested for every known toxic chemical.

noxibox

Honorary Master
What if it had been some human food huh?
People die because of inadequate testing of drugs. A recent treatment for arthritis being a prime case.

Mistakes happen when it comes to something like food. Quality control cannot be perfect without incurring huge costs. The simple fact is that our food and the food of our pets is remarkably safe.

noxibox

Honorary Master
But unfortunately that's what happened - Woolworths should be banned from producing such foodstuffs until they can guarantee a quality control method that is foolproof.
Are you completely mad? If you're willing to subsidise such a system, then you're welcome. Our food today is safer than it has ever been and probably safer in general than producing it ourselves.

Skeptik

Banned
It's a chemical that shouldn't be there. They also had to use extremely sensitive tests to detect the chemical. Standard tests did not detect it due to the very low level of contamination.

The question is are there any verified reports of pets dying because of the food? I mean is it actually linked or just a co-incidence?
This substance was found long ago in Austrian wine. They were using it as a cheap sweetener. Many people were affected.

There have been reports of dogs getting ill and one dying. WW has not bothered to get back to them, despite their attempts.

Are you completely mad? If you're willing to subsidise such a system, then you're welcome. Our food today is safer than it has ever been and probably safer in general than producing it ourselves.
I would disagree. I'm finding a lot of foreign bodies in foods nowaday. This is quite a recent change and it is very worrying. I'm also noticing a drop in quality. For example, the box or container has not been filled to the top; the contents are rotten, despite the current sell-by etc etc.

BobbyMac

Expert Member
WW vegetables rot in my fridge after 2 or 3 days, while similarly packaged vegetables from Pick 'n Pay last for at least a week. Fresh vegetables from my garden lasts a week to three weeks, so something is not right with WW veggies.

noxibox

Honorary Master
I'm not talking specifically about food quality at Woolworths. I buy most of my food, fruit and vegetables from Fruit & Veg City, Pick 'n' Pay and Spar. On the other hand when I do buy from Woolworths I have found the products to be top quality (except perhaps their hot chocolate, but it is just bland). Besides my own food not going rotten faster than I'd expect, not finding products to contain rotten food before the sell-by date or finding that it contains foreign objects I am basing this on the fact there is far more regulation and monitoring of food production today.

Is this accurate regarding the Austrian wine:
The amount added was not high enough to be immediately toxic (one would have to ingest about 28 bottles per day for two weeks); however, the adverse worldwide publicity caused very high export losses and led to adoption of severe wine laws in Austria.

Found the same said in various ways on various sites.

Was it deliberately added to the ingredient in the dog food?

From posts here it seems some people get really good feedback from Woolworths and others don't.

Skeptik

Banned
I am basing this on the fact there is far more regulation and monitoring of food production today.
I don't think they are being as thorough as they once were. Production is up so I don't think they are coping. Also the new apartheid (BEE) is not helping because there are more unskilled people doing the same jobs.

PeterCH

Honorary Master
Just been on the news that Dog pellets bought from Woolworths have been withdrawn from their shelves as there have been reports of dog deaths:eek: ...

We bought dog pellets from Woolworths but luckily our dogs refused to eat them...Clever dogs:)

I was informed of this and did not hear it myself can anyone else that can confirm this please!
I wouldn't be suprised. Woolworths sells insectices on the same shelf
as food products for human consumption (snacks). Yes they're different
aisles but their shelves are stacked back to back with nothing seperating the
lethal insecticide from the food. I had to tell their management 3 times
about this - not sure if they even did anything.