Doing a triple major BSc via UNISA

Archie1

Hi guys,

I realise that there is already a UNISA thread, but I figure that this would get more exposure since the people who may be able to answer this may not be active in that thread.

I intend on doing majors in Applied Math, Statistics and Computer Science via UNISA. What I want to know is what is the best way to go about doing this?

One option seems to be taking the Applied Math and Statistics Stream outlined here - http://www.unisa.ac.za/qualificatio...c.za/qualifications/Navigation/Alph_4_99.html and thereafter doing something like the Applied Math and Computer Science stream and using my credits from Applied Math to cut down on the modules to be taken. However only a maximum of 50% of credits can be used from what I understand.

Another option would be to do a General Bsc as outlined here - http://www.unisa.ac.za/qualificatio...c.za/qualifications/Navigation/Alph_4_99.html and select the modules I need. On that page though it says that a BSc degree consists of 30 modules, and that a maximum of EIGHT modules can be taken on the first level. This seems quite limiting and therefore I'm not sure if I can do it this way.

What would you guys suggest? Is there an alternative way that I have not thought about?

Thanks

D3x!

Banned
honestly what is your point? so you can be pompous and say you have a triple major yada yada? pumping out degree's as fast as possible?

xumwun

Expert Member
I don't think that's possible, you need at least 5 modules (on 3rd level) for a major subject.

Last edited:

zizo911

Executive Member
honestly what is your point? so you can be pompous and say you have a triple major yada yada? pumping out degree's as fast as possible?

Maybe his an academic like me!!!

Jehosefat

Expert Member
I know that at Wits you need special permission from the Dean to do 3 majors in final year and you're unlikely to get it unless you are getting firsts (or close to) for all of your second year subjects. Not sure if its the same at UNISA

wwalford

This would be seen outside of the normal course set up and you will need special permission to do this. My suggestion is that you settle on the two majors you really want, don't mess around with UNISA because they likely to get it horribly wrong and you will end up having studied nothing.
The problem is the credit count and you would need to do more credits right from first year as well if I am not mistaken.

Fuzzbox

Expert Member
Maybe he's an academic like me is the correct syntax.

stricken

Expert Member
...and that a maximum of EIGHT modules can be taken on the first level. This seems quite limiting and therefore I'm not sure if I can do it this way.

you are going to crash and burn in this world with that attitude son.

Colin62

Executive Member
You used to be allowed to register for extra modules for Non Degree Purposes (NDP) which don't count towards the 30 modules required to complete your degree. That's probably what you need to do, unless you can structure the three majors to only use 30 modules.

cguy

Executive Member
Hi guys,

I realise that there is already a UNISA thread, but I figure that this would get more exposure since the people who may be able to answer this may not be active in that thread.

I intend on doing majors in Applied Math, Statistics and Computer Science via UNISA. What I want to know is what is the best way to go about doing this?

One option seems to be taking the Applied Math and Statistics Stream outlined here - http://www.unisa.ac.za/qualificatio...c.za/qualifications/Navigation/Alph_4_99.html and thereafter doing something like the Applied Math and Computer Science stream and using my credits from Applied Math to cut down on the modules to be taken. However only a maximum of 50% of credits can be used from what I understand.

Another option would be to do a General Bsc as outlined here - http://www.unisa.ac.za/qualificatio...c.za/qualifications/Navigation/Alph_4_99.html and select the modules I need. On that page though it says that a BSc degree consists of 30 modules, and that a maximum of EIGHT modules can be taken on the first level. This seems quite limiting and therefore I'm not sure if I can do it this way.

What would you guys suggest? Is there an alternative way that I have not thought about?

Thanks

What do you want to do as a career?

Personally, if I had to choose 2 out of the 3 to take to 3rd year, I would only take app maths to 2nd year.

Aghori

Honorary Master
Why the **** does B.Ed have 40 modules and most other degrees have 30?!

semaphore

Honorary Master
And why would he?

You are the one that didnt understand my response. He thinks its just a walk in the park doing 8 modules. If he is not working perhaps, try maintaining a full time job, and family and doing that. Its doable, but not an easy feat. But hey perhaps he is a savant who knows, i doubt it thou.

KalMaverick

Expert Member
He thinks its just a walk in the park doing 8 modules.

Nowhere does he say that.

I had 13 modules my first year, why would he have trouble with 8 modules, over what? A maximum of 8 years?

My gf does 8 modules a year with a full time job as well as on her way to getting her degree cum laude.

semaphore

Honorary Master
Nowhere does he say that.

I had 13 modules my first year, why would he have trouble with 8 modules, over what? A maximum of 8 years?

My gf does 8 modules a year with a full time job as well as on her way to getting her degree cum laude.

Then its my wrong doing, i thought he meant he wanted to do more than 8 modules a semester.