Download alternative

MrM

Who is this post aimed at?
1. Someone who has a 3 Gig or less account, but wants to download much, much more.
2. Someone who has local only, but wants something from international.
3. Someone who can't afford to seed back what the leech.

Here's 'The Plan'.
1. You give me the torrent you want downloaded.
2. I download it, write it to dvd, and courier it to you.
3. A fee is charged up front on a 'per gig' rate.

That's the simple explanation of what happens. There are obviously much more details that I could go in to if anyone wants to hear them.

I would like input from this community on the following subjects:
1. Would you use such a service?
2. Is it legal/How illegal is this?
3. How much would you pay per gig?

Who I don't want to hear from:
1. People who already have their own uncapped accounts.
2. People who are going to dismiss the idea based on the fact that this is my 'first' post.

Please take the following into account:
Based on Axxess' prices, 1 Gig is going to cost R60 (rounded from R59). I am proposing paying R20 per gig. This would include the cost of the dvd(s) and courier cost (still not sure if this is feasible).
All dvd's have inherent flaws. To minimize the risk, all content will be 7zipped(using a password supplied by the client) and par2'ed before being written to disk. This will ensure that the contents are secure and retrievable barring total disk failure.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
There is a loophole in the law allowing people to download for their own personal use as long as they don't distribute. I would assume that would you are doing is distributing for profit, unless you are doing it as a non-profit public service and only covering your costs. I don't mind downloading for other people, but I don't ask anything for it except where I have incurred a cost. I think you would attract the attention of the authorities if you do this for profit.

waynegohl

Ancient Astronaut
there was a guy from the USA on the forum once who offered his services to just like yours.it's not a bad idea at all.

MrM

I appreciate the legal information. Strictly speaking, I would be acting as a proxy (not an internet proxy as the term is normally used), instead of being a distributer. The request would come from a client as if they were going to download it themselves. Would this still be considered distribution?

I could go into a defensive position and claim to be selling dvd's at a specific price, but this would probably be useless. I need to know how the authorities would see my business dealing, as opposed to how I want them to see it.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Well, I understand your desire to offer the service, and it is a nice gesture, but I suspect that if some of the content owners found out (not sure how they would find out - unless they entrap you) that you were distributing copyright content, they would lump you in the same category as those guys who sell the fake DVDs at the street corners. It is a chance you would have to take and you would have no reasonable defense in a court.

MrM

Bugger.. you are of course telling me what I didn't want to hear. *la la la laaaa* *blocks ears*

Okay. As an 'illegal' business, would people still be interested? I am merely asking as I personally think this would be a worthy service, even if it's considered illegal by those in charge. Perhaps with enough pressure, such a service could become legal in the future.

waynegohl

Ancient Astronaut
how different is this to asking a computer company to burn me a disc with stuff on and charging me R50?

BLaZor2

Expert Member
Nope.

Especially with Afrihost charging 30 bucks a gig, We could download said material ourselves...

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Ja, it is a risk you take... and you might start with a disclaimer... such as... "I am not responsible for the content you request, I assume that you have a legal right or license to access this content, and what you do with this content is not my responsibility. I assume no risk for what you do with this content. All files are deleted from my hardware after the content has been delivered to you."

something like that.

Sting

Ghost in the Machine
Bugger.. you are of course telling me what I didn't want to hear. *la la la laaaa* *blocks ears*

Okay. As an 'illegal' business, would people still be interested? I am merely asking as I personally think this would be a worthy service, even if it's considered illegal by those in charge. Perhaps with enough pressure, such a service could become legal in the future.

You're playing with fire. Your fingers will get burnt.

IceQB

Expert Member
MrM what you are proposing is illegal, downloading, selling & distributing (obviously) copyright material will land you on the wrong side of the law.
And advertising such a business on MYBB i would think is against the rules.

MrM

Let me start off by saying that there is no such business (to my knowledge) as I mentioned. I was interested in enlightening myself on the feasibility of such an enterprise. My attempt at proposing a solution to the current lack of international bandwidth (cap) is obviously flawed. Please give suggestions as to how to make it legal. Any suggestions on how to go forward from here? Simply put, Yes, it's illegal, now what?