DStv launches new HD PVR

LCBXX

Honorary Master
HD PVR 2P for the Pace model and HD PVR 2U for the UEC model. Same capabilities but with different hardware specs, just like the Pace and UEC 4-tuner HD PVR's differ. I had a Pace 4-tuner which failed due to an electrical surge and I replaced it with a UEC 4-tuner. Only difference is the look (UEC is silver and ugly), bootup and channel changing performance (UEC is faster on both).

Yuu

Executive Member
This doesn't make sense to me, locally manufactured but costs alot of money :(, WTF is wrong with Multichoice seriously >.<.

This is a waste of an article too.

Anyone want to start manufacturing multichoice branded toilet paper :D...

system32

Expert Member
Green?

Is this model "green"?
The SD-PVR and HD-PVR-P2 use about 40w each, even when in standby!

A laptop uses 12w in standby, so they are wasting at least 28w for most of the day.

There are 6.7m DSTV subscribers in ZA
If 28w wasted over 16h per day, that works out to 28w*6.7m = 113,600kw*16h = 1,656,600kwh wasted

A single PVR uses about R30 of electricity per month, of which R15 is wasted due to no standby.
R15 x 6.7m = R55m per month wasted electricity.

Eskom should force DSTV/MultiChoice/UEC to develop power efficient decoders.

Smurfatefrog

Expert Member
The specs are the same, its about having a local & international model

There won't be a dual view decoder again, that's why they introduced Xtraview...

Mills05

Why must they be so UGLY? Premium product being sold to high income earners yet both the recent PVR models look cheap. My pace is the odd one out when looking at my entertainment setup. Take a page out of the Apple book multichoice and stop trying to make a profit on the hardware when you a content distribution company.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Yes, current software was insufficiently tested. MC have put an apology on their forum.

MC have never tested their software properly, its always been ****, and will continue to be **** until they hire decent developers.

DJ...

Banned
MC have never tested their software properly, its always been ****, and will continue to be **** until they hire decent developers.

My uncle runs the company responsible for the development from the UK. I have been told that for some time Multichoice treated their development like ICASA is treating the digital roll-out. According to him that has changed and there is a clear plan of where they are going. I'm not very clued up on all of this but as far as I know, their initial responsibility and priority is to fix the mess previously created...

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
My uncle runs the company responsible for the development from the UK. I have been told that for some time Multichoice treated their development like ICASA is treating the digital roll-out. According to him that has changed and there is a clear plan of where they are going. I'm not very clued up on all of this but as far as I know, their initial responsibility and priority is to fix the mess previously created...

Well now that is certainly good news to hear....

It would be nice to get some decent software on those decoders because they are capable of being pretty damn good.

bond007

Why are the new decoders always ugly? i.e. the 1131 the little square grey one.
Why don't they give usb options or improve the software.:confused:

cause they dont want to update the software! the old hd decoders have come with ethernet ports but theres no software functionality! and this has been going on for how long...??

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
How the fsck can a company release a new product which is exactly the same as the previous? This is fscking retarded! :wtf:

siraman

Expert Member
What XtraView Combination can you get with this decoder? I want 3 Independent viewing environments and 3 PVR functionality environments like it's possible with HD PVR 2P + SD PVR.

Mars

Honorary Master
MC are more interested in trying to close the barn door after the horse has bolted and put all their development into encryption and so on.
This new decoder i'm sure has been designed with more hardware security stuff than ever before.

Actual user functionality? Honey badger dont care.. they just keep rehashing the same old crap.