DStv On Demand for Android gets launch window

Necuno

Court Jester
You can be smart and dump the monopoly or stupid by continuing support. Monopolies change when enough people are actively smart and not just Like.

McT

The Humble Scot!
You can be smart and dump the monopoly or stupid by continuing support. Monopolies change when enough people are actively smart and not just Like.
And the alternative is? When it comes to live local sports, this is usually my only option.

And what are alternatives on series, doccies, movies and the like then?

Necuno

Court Jester
And the alternative is? When it comes to live local sports, this is usually my only option.

And what are alternatives on series, doccies, movies and the like then?
That is why you fail.

What do you think will happen if everyone canned for at least a month or two?

Surely dstv will get the **** and do something about it, BUT of course this won't happen because you fail the see what needs to be done in a short time to affect the overall picture.

acidb

Expert Member
DStv subscribers have to become accustomed to a particular kind of service, even if there were an alternative (come on new TopTV), the sheep would take a while to migrate to anything new (price depending and of course service level depending)

ijacobs3

Expert Member
I honestly think South Africa is a small part of their income, remember , they run operations throughout Africa , so they would notice if 3 million odd SA subscribers cancelled , but it won't hurt them too much, they still have how many millions up in Africa

McT

The Humble Scot!
That is why you fail.

What do you think will happen if everyone canned for at least a month or two?

Surely dstv will get the **** and do something about it, BUT of course this won't happen because you fail the see what needs to be done in a short time to affect the overall picture.
I understand perfectly what you are saying, O Blind Faith. Here is the thing, so I cancel this wretched thing for a few months, what do my kids and wife watch in the interim?

May I also add that I do not want Top TV, I am not into piracy, file sharing, torrents or the like. Further, my wife will also be on my case while she misses out on her series. The novelty of Dvd's will wear off. And then what?

DominionZA

Executive Member
I understand perfectly what you are saying, O Blind Faith. Here is the thing, so I cancel this wretched thing for a few months, what do my kids and wife watch in the interim?

May I also add that I do not want Top TV, I am not into piracy, file sharing, torrents or the like. Further, my wife will also be on my case while she misses out on her series. The novelty of Dvd's will wear off. And then what?
Netflix and Hulu.
My wife mentioned tonight that she finds it odd when people talk about "a show that watched last night on TV".
Even more so when she talks about something she watched and people go "what channel was it on".
She has become so accustomed to the streaming services that DSTV is no longer a need in her life. It did take a while to convince the family to let go of DSTV though. Dec 2012 I was finally allowed to cancel it.
Watches what she wants when she wants. And all of it in HD.

SeRpEnT

Expert Member
DSTV on Demand on mobile will only become attractive to current DSTV premium subscribers (who gets it for free) once the data used to watch is free. Multichoice needs to negotiate with the mobile service providers for free data on DSTV on Demand and DSTV Mobile. Otherwise the program will only be used by very few who uses it on unlimited wifi.

McT

The Humble Scot!
Netflix and Hulu.
My wife mentioned tonight that she finds it odd when people talk about "a show that watched last night on TV".
Even more so when she talks about something she watched and people go "what channel was it on".
She has become so accustomed to the streaming services that DSTV is no longer a need in her life. It did take a while to convince the family to let go of DSTV though. Dec 2012 I was finally allowed to cancel it.
Noted with thanks. However, are these services legal in South Africa? I am not referring to pirating the service (as it's a subscription based service), but rather the legitimacy of it as I am under the impression that it illegal to view locally.

FreeStanler

Expert Member
Netflix and Hulu.
Do you get *all* of the shows that are on DSTV? We kinda like Ellen, for instance. It's nice as a background tv show whilst you go about your day in the house.

I don't suppose you can get CNN with those services?

Do you get the very latest of the series'? And can you watch old series' episodes?

Sorry for all the questions; if little time, don't feel need to answer :)

DominionZA

Executive Member
Noted with thanks. However, are these services legal in South Africa? I am not referring to pirating the service (as it's a subscription based service), but rather the legitimacy of it as I am under the impression that it illegal to view locally.
There is a thread going here related to this. It is kind of up in the air at the moment. Multichoice and the like, say it is illegal. But we don't actually have a law that prevents it which makes it not legal.
The way I see it is we are paying for a service and violating terms and conditions. The worst that can happen is we get booted off the service. Dunno really. Need to see what happens. But definitely not going to let Multichoice dictate to me what I watch, when I must watch it and also who I use to watch it.

Do you get *all* of the shows that are on DSTV? We kinda like Ellen, for instance. It's nice as a background tv show whilst you go about your day in the house.

I don't suppose you can get CNN with those services?

Do you get the very latest of the series'? And can you watch old series' episodes?

Sorry for all the questions; if little time, don't feel need to answer :)
I am not sure on specifics as I don't watch CNN or Ellen. I also don't keep track of DSTV anymore so cannot tell you if the services match what DSTV shows.
I can however tell you that there is sufficient content - and up to date content - to keep you amused and watching something different every single day. I follow quite a few TV Shows (Chicago Fire, Criminal Minds, etc...) and they are current.

They also have a huge archive (Netflix and Hulu) so can data back many many years and watch the old stuff.

Seriously not missing anything. And the HD stream looks good on both my 47" Sammy and 42" LG. Picture quality is great.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Has anybody got this to work yet on their Android Drifta device?

Sonic2k

Executive Member
Seriously not missing anything. And the HD stream looks good on both my 47" Sammy and 42" LG. Picture quality is great.
Yes because its a known fact that Koos likes to have a heavy hand with compression... those satellite uplinks eat into his budget for a new Maybach you know.

Its taken them this long to roll an app for Android? Ag shame... the skill level of their programmers is that bad.

Last edited: