Arthur

Honorary Master
Pretty reasonable, actually.

The problem is the ever-diminishing Rand. And for that we must blame Caesar.

kianm

Honorary Master
Wish Ftth was available where I stay already, viable alternative to this. The value one gets from a good internet connection is better than what monoxide gives us

deweyzeph

Executive Member
The problem is not the amount of money DSTV charges, the problem is the crap that you get in exchange for that money compared to what you can get from Netflix or Hulu.

Jola

Honorary Master
The problem is not the amount of money DSTV charges, the problem is the crap that you get in exchange for that money compared to what you can get from Netflix or Hulu.

That ^

The competition has changed over this time period.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
If you take something that is over priced to begin with, and increase the cost of it annually in line with inflation, it's still over priced.

Arthur

Honorary Master
Sure, almost everything on TV is crap.

But then these days I almost never watch movies. Not even on Netflix or Amazon Prime.

For me, the one thing that makes DStv worth having is the sport. Especially now that more of it is hi-def(ish).

I have become a TV sports fan because sport is clean TV. I'm sick to death of the filth and bilge that spills out in almost everything else. Of course there are exceptions, but they are rare.

DStv undoubtedly has some of the best sports coverage in the world. Nowhere have I seen more comprehensive coverage of major or significant events. Plus it has brilliant coverage of rugby and cricket.

Expensive? Very.
Ready to cancel? No.

If they significantly change their sports coverage they'll lose me, and I suspect another two million subscribers.

K

kingrob

But then these days I almost never watch movies. Not even on Netflix or Amazon Prime.

For me, the one thing that makes DStv worth having is the sport. Especially now that more of it is hi-def(ish).

I have become a TV sports fan because sport is clean TV. I'm sick to death of the filth and bilge that spills out in almost everything else. Of course there are exceptions, but they are rare.

DStv undoubtedly has some of the best sports coverage in the world. Nowhere have I seen more comprehensive coverage of major or significant events. Plus it has brilliant coverage of rugby and cricket.

Expensive? Very.
Ready to cancel? No.

If they significantly change their sports coverage they'll lose me, and I suspect another two million subscribers.

+1

I absolutely love to watch the Sport on my Samsung HD TV - it looks absolutely fantastic and just makes it extra nice.

Not to mention all the movies in full HD, there's always something to watch. Or just record something and it's ready when you want to watch it.

Can't see myself without DSTV in South Africa.

fruitbat

Expert Member
Those figures are way better than the % increase on my Discovery medical aid each your lol

Sodan

Expert Member
This would have been great article if the article on Ghana had indicated that DStv prices had been reduced because of deflation (i.e. that it fluctuates with inflation).
However, the original article was about their prices being reduced because of a strengthening of their currency's exchange rate. Exchange rate != inflation.

quax

This is actually very true. Their sports coverage is amazing. We get more EPL footy than what they get in England. When ESPN withdrew MC took it upon themselves to get the coverage for the American sports.

But I can understand why the non-sport watcher would feel as though they are ripped off.

Skerminkel

Expert Member
It seems that they track CPI diligently. Are their costs also CPI-related? I suspect not.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
It would be interesting to see what overall effect unbundling sports would have.

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
I'd pay R200, not more. The current prices are just ludicrous.

MartyMarts

Spontaneous Interruption

Expensive? Very.
Ready to cancel? No.

Have to agree with this :erm:

MartyMarts

Spontaneous Interruption
It would be interesting to see what overall effect unbundling sports would have.

Probably just have SuperSport then. No more multichoice/dstv/carte blanche :p (Derek Watts will be exclusively doing hair loss treatment ads).
Just offer me the sports alone and I'd drop the rest of the rubbish in a heartbeat. No thinking required.

DailyTech

Still ridiculous.
Each subscriber thinks they are getting a "great" deal, but DSTV is smiling all the way.
Mega profits.