Dulce Gusto thread

Eric

Honorary Master
A quick review of these refillable pods for your Dolce Gusto machine. I ordered some some a month or two ago and have been enjoying them for a few weeks now.
https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesal...025328&SearchText=gusto&productId=32706582192

If I did it again, I might get a Nespresso machine - way more variety for accessories including refill pods. That said, if you have a Dolce Gusto, these pods are awesome and will save a ton of money for little effort.

Summary:

Ease of use: 8/10 - very easy to use but some cleaning to do, best done right after use. Way easier than a drip filter or plunger/French press and no waste.

Value for money: 10/10 - you get to drink your favorite brand and type of fresh ground coffee without having to pay R100 for 8 or 16 cups. You also don't have to switch the kettle on to make a good cuppa joe or tea.

Variety: 7/10 - part of the Dolce gusto's novelty is the different formats of coffee - Cappuccino, Latte, Americano, hot choc, etc. so while this refillable pod won't meet those needs, or at least you'll have to organize the milk for a Latte or Cappuccino separately, it's still a plus, particularly for Americano/Espresso lovers. On the plus you get to choose your favorite blend or much healthier single origin ground coffee. As a bonus, you can start buying loose tea - often higher quality options are available loose. This little machine makes a mean cup of the queens best.

Overall satisfaction: 8.5/10 - this is personal, but I am absolutely happy I got these and don't have to pay through my backside for my favorite coffee. I also don't have to switch the kettle on whenever I want a cup. Some may prefer a bigger cup and, depending on your preference for taste, might run the cycle twice or refill two pods for a stronger cup.

IMG_0251.jpg
The pod

IMG_0253.jpg
Inside showing removable filter

IMG_0252.jpg
The pod and removable filter

IMG_0254.jpg
My fav ground coffee

Last edited:
Reactions: 3WA

Eric

Honorary Master
IMG_0255.jpg
One heaped teaspoon of ground coffee

IMG_0256.jpg
Pressed down using the teaspoon

IMG_0257.jpg
Line up the hole to the front and center!
If you don't, you could damage the needle.

IMG_0258.jpg
Seconds away from a good cup

IMG_0259.jpg
Check that crema out....

IMG_0262.jpg
Perfect sized cup for my liking

Eric

Honorary Master
View attachment 391202
My fav finish... Ideal milk (no sugar for me)

View attachment 391206
Run a little cold water over the pod to shrink it and make it easy to take out - it gets a little wedged in there with the hot water. Use a teaspoon if necessary to pop it out.

View attachment 391204
Used coffee makes great compost - don't waste!

All you need is a tiny drop of sunlight soap, warm water and your finger to wash it - remember coffee is oily and leaves a residue. Literally 20 seconds including a good rinse and it's done. Leave to drip dry and reuse. The ads say 50-150 times but it looks very hardy - I got 3 for around R120 including delivery to my PO counter. Be prepared to wait a month or month and a half for delivery.

Very happy!

Last edited:

SeRpEnT

Executive Member
How hard is it to line the hole up with the needle? Looks risky? Would hate to damage the needle.

Baxteen

Honorary Master
this changes EVERYTHING.
I need at least 3.
maybe even 4, not sure on the 4th house in the friends group that has this machine.

skeptic_SA

Executive Member
this changes EVERYTHING.
I need at least 3.
maybe even 4, not sure on the 4th house in the friends group that has this machine.
+1

I see they sell 10 packs online. How many you looking at getting? Split some transport charges and get a few bundles?

Baxteen

Honorary Master
+1

I see they sell 10 packs online. How many you looking at getting? Split some transport charges and get a few bundles?
I am keen on that.
let me get word from the other people.
I will chat to you on the regular channel when I have details. we will probably get 4 10 packs. I will let you know when I have more details then we all split the shipping cost.

Eric

Honorary Master
How hard is it to line the hole up with the needle? Looks risky? Would hate to damage the needle.
Not at all hard, and I've punctured one by being lazy - didn't do any harm and produces the same quality :)

I am keen on that.
let me get word from the other people.
I will chat to you on the regular channel when I have details. we will probably get 4 10 packs. I will let you know when I have more details then we all split the shipping cost.
Free shipping on aliexpress, but quicker if you get the local ones.

Last edited:

SeRpEnT

Executive Member
Just received mine. Was very disappointed with the first cup. Used full water setting (6/6) and one heaped teaspoon of Importers Mocha Java. The first second or two looked like coffee pouring out, and the rest was very light and mostly water. The taste test confirmed the cup was way too weak. Will try again tonight and increase the ground coffee in the pod and reduce the water level.

Anyone else bought this? And what's your results?

Eric

Honorary Master
Just received mine. Was very disappointed with the first cup. Used full water setting (6/6) and one heaped teaspoon of Importers Mocha Java. The first second or two looked like coffee pouring out, and the rest was very light and mostly water. The taste test confirmed the cup was way too weak. Will try again tonight and increase the ground coffee in the pod and reduce the water level.

Anyone else bought this? And what's your results?
Use more coffee, or buy espresso. The machine is actually an espresso machine, not a drip filter, so filter coffee isn't ideal (too course).
That said, get yourself a grinder and decant the already ground coffee into that one big scoop at a time before grinding it for another 10 seconds before decanting into a sealed container. It WILL be stronger that way - works brilliantly.

The difference between filter coffee and espresso is that the espresso is roasted longer and at higher temperature and actually finer granules. The water is forced through the coffee rather than dripping slowly.

Tweak it a bit, you will come right... I'm enjoying mine as much as when I started using it.
either:

1) More coffee
2) More finely ground coffee*
3) Espresso instead (Illy does a great espresso)**
*cheapest
**probably the most expensive but really really good.

Also, one bar from the top rather than all the way to the top - makes a good double espresso size for you to all your milk etc.

I have found that some brands just aren't as nice as others. I enjoyed the medium roast Guatemala single origin from Checkers.

http://www.thekitchn.com/brewed-coffee-vs-espresso-what-are-the-differences-224453

Last edited:

Zyk1

Expert Member
Any local suppliers of the reusable pods for the dolce gusto?
Dont want to order from Aliexpress

Dan C

Honorary Master
Mine just arrived !! 7 of them that I ordered from e-bay.

Now to get some decent coffee ... any suggestions will be appreciated ;)