Dulce Gusto thread

Daruk

Honorary Master
Mine just arrived !! 7 of them that I ordered from e-bay.

Now to get some decent coffee ... any suggestions will be appreciated ;)
Illy Espresso:

(Medium)

Or:
15382700[1].jpg
(Dark)

And my new personal fav:
Black-Insomnia-Strongest-Coffee-Pack.jpg

You can order the black insomnia today and have it within 1 business day - delivered to your office or house. It's developed by an ex Hudsonian, Sean Kristafor.
https://za.linkedin.com/in/sean-kristafor-7528b747

Fantastic stuff.
https://blackinsomnia.coffee/product/black-insomnia/

Just remember that it's an espresso machine effectively, so if you want best results, use an espresso grind. If you use regular filter coffee, you may just need to grind it a bit finer. My suggestion is to use smaller cups for single serving - not a typical 'mug' you would normally use - for best flavour.

Last edited:

SeRpEnT

Expert Member
I just googled to get prices for the Illy....daaaaaaaaarrrnnn! At those prices one might as well stick to the Dulce gusto pods!

Dan C

Honorary Master
Thanks Heavyonthecaffeine. Keen on the Medium Illy one to try.

Any shop in EL I can buy from ?

Also have you tried milk in these refillables ?

Daruk

Honorary Master
oh yes, I recommended them in another post. (colleague of mine mentioned them)

I'll in the meantime going to see what Spargs has.
Ohhhh haha, well then you're the one I heard about them from :D

Daruk

Honorary Master
^^ awesome! Spargs are pretty good with stocking the good stuff.
Let us know what you think? I see that's ground filter coffee so probably needs a bit ore grind for an espresso machine like the Gusto.

Last edited:

Dan C

Honorary Master
^^ awesome! Spares are pretty good with stocking the good stuff.
Let us know what you think? I see that's ground filter coffee so probably needs a bit ore grind for an espresso machine like the Gusto.
Hmmm ok I don't have a grinder TBH. Worthwhile getting one ? Will any old cheapo work ?

Daruk

Honorary Master
Hmmm ok I don't have a grinder TBH. Worthwhile getting one ? Will any old cheapo work ?
Yes, I have a cheapo - logic or similar. What I do is I just decant the bag into one, a few scoops at a time and then put the finer grounds into a sealed container (I keep an Illy Espresso tin or two spare - they are awesome). It may be fine without grinding further, depending on how strong you like it. Also, try different sized dispensings - less water / more water to see the results - perhaps even test it in one sitting to see which results you prefer.

Dan C

Honorary Master
Ok , finally got my grinder etc. And... it works fabs :) Only thing is that the capsule needs to cool down a lot before you can release it.

Daruk

Honorary Master
What I do is run cold water on the top, I use a teaspoon to lift it out slowly, being careful not to break the edges. It gets easier as time goes on. I also don't wedge it down into the socket, let the machine do it.
I find if using ground coffee, 3 bars of water is enough for a good espresso. If I'm using an espresso blend then 2 bars does the trick (regular espresso size). Otherwise 250ml cup and one bar from the top for a good americano.