E-mail going crazy

ChadKay

Hi guys, didn't know if this was the correct forum for this type of question but no other forum best suited it.

So last year I moved from Mweb to Afrihost and I downgraded my Mweb account to a 1GB capped account so I could keep my e-mail address as I have been using it for about 12+ years.

My incoming server is pop3.netactive.co.za :110 and my outgoing is smtp.afrihost.co.za :25
My e-mails are downloaded and sent with no problem, here's the problem:
Every week or so Outlook re-downloads all the e-mails on the server dating back a good 4 years, it is a mess and has been like this since December.

Please could you advise me on how to fix this.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Should it not be pop3.mweb.co.za and smtp.mweb.co.za?

Nope, the SMTP might over be restricted the ISPs SMTP, because spamming.

Don't know the exact cause the OPs problem though, except that the e-mails were not deleted from the server on download (mweb would be the cause then) or that Outlook has a flaw (blame MS then), might need to create brand new PST, move mail over to that PST, then create and setup new Outlook profile and link the new PST in there (beware, I am not sure on how previous contacts will be handled or moved over).

ponder

Honorary Master
WTF do people use isp email accounts?

Get a gmail account an set it up to collect email from your isp mail server. Change all references (banking, edgars, eskom, telkom etc) to the gmail account. send out weekly notifications to everybody in your address book that your email address has changed and after three months bin the old address! It's not rocket science!

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
There is a mweb server that requires username & pass...but lets through all ISP connections...its somewhere in my post history and should be easy to google.

So last year I moved from Mweb to Afrihost and I downgraded my Mweb account to a 1GB capped account so I could keep my e-mail address as I have been using it for about 12+ years.
There is a mail box only option with mweb...but its nowhere on their marketing. They're sneaky like that.

AchmatK

Executive Member
There is a mail box only option with mweb...but its nowhere on their marketing. They're sneaky like that.

I have a Tiscali email address from before Mweb took them over and tried the mailbox only account but the 1 gig capped account is cheaper than the mailbox only account. Was on an uncapped mweb account and decided to downgrade instead of opting for the mailbox only account.

Need to look into cancelling it completely and inform contacts and change various web accounts to my own domain email or live email accounts. Just don't have the time.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
I have a Tiscali email address from before Mweb took them over and tried the mailbox only account but the 1 gig capped account is cheaper than the mailbox only account. Was on an uncapped mweb account and decided to downgrade instead of opting for the mailbox only account.

Need to look into cancelling it completely and inform contacts and change various web accounts to my own domain email or live email accounts. Just don't have the time.
Sounds dodgy...the mail box one is a couple of bucks. I don't see mailbox + 1gig being cheaper...

AchmatK

Executive Member
Sounds dodgy...the mail box one is a couple of bucks. I don't see mailbox + 1gig being cheaper...

They don't seem to have the mailbox only account on their website. They do have dialup at R145pm whereas the 1 gig capped account is R29pm so it's possible that the mailbox only account could be more than the 1 gig capped account

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master

Where can I find the mailbox option?

Company also has a tiscali address, they converted it to ADSL 10gb + 10gb night time as the replacement for what was the dialup 56k account. Also 300mb WiFi for free. Use it as a backup to my AH uncapped

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
They don't seem to have the mailbox only account on their website.
Where can I find the mailbox option?
ai you okes don't read.

You cannot find it because its not there. You need to specifically ask for it - and more importantly someone (me) needs to tell you that it exists so that you know that it exists in the first place.

I vaguely recall it being either 19 or 29 bucks but that might be outdated pricing...was many years ago & I was never a mweb client...I just happen to know about this.

Company also has a tiscali address, they converted it to ADSL 10gb + 10gb night time as the replacement for what was the dialup 56k account. Also 300mb WiFi for free. Use it as a backup to my AH uncapped
Thats OK imo...as long as someone is extracting some value then its not money down the drain.