E220 or E270/272

Gamer

Expert Member
I'm trying to buy a second hand 3G modem. Which is recommended, the E220 or the E270 or E272. I had bought a E220 but the post office stole it enroute to myself from the seller, now I'm back on the hunt for another modem.
Being new to these devices, I'm not sure which model is preferred/better.

Thanks for any advice.

wheunis

I would say get the 270 or 272.

Nothing wrong with the E220, but its getting kinda old.
Still a very reliable little modem, despite it's age.

AirWolf

Honorary Master
Yeah, the E270/272 has the option of using an external antennae.

K

kingrob

The E272 is the better choice.

I have the E172 (USB stick) and it's good, but hopefully I can get a B970 router on Friday. :)

K

kingrob

The B970 is free on a topup R400 contract.

2GB of data = R389, convert it. Perfect.

Gamer

Expert Member
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I might land up not having any choice in the matter. The original seller today offered to replace the lost one with another E220. I'll see what happens.

K

kingrob

Not possible according to Vodashop :confused:
I went to the Vodashop in the V&A Waterfront and they showed me on their list that the B970 comes free with a topup 400??

Then all you do is convert the airtime to data. Easy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Smurfatefrog

Expert Member
Ja, but R400 worth of calls cant be converted to data. I could use the data OOB & then get 150mb worth or whatever it works out to, or add a bundle onto the R400 which would be pointless. Unless my Vodashop is uninformed

K

kingrob

Ja, but R400 worth of calls cant be converted to data. I could use the data OOB & then get 150mb worth or whatever it works out to, or add a bundle onto the R400 which would be pointless. Unless my Vodashop is uninformed
I think your Vodashop is misinformed, or it might be a newbie's first day. :)

What makes the topup really attractive to me, is that if the bundles get cheaper in the future, you can get more for your buck.

However, if you buy the router with, for example, a 2GB data deal, you're stuck with that contract for two years.

morkhans

A MyBroadband
Super Moderator
However, if you buy the router with, for example, a 2GB data deal, you're stuck with that contract for two years.
Not so. When the data prices dropped a few years ago, everyone on contract also paid the new reduced fee.

AirWolf

Honorary Master
It is not "R400 worth of calls". On a top up contract, the included airtime can be used for calls/sms/data/USSD.

Smurfatefrog

Expert Member
ok yes that wasnt the best wording. R400 of calls/sms/data/USSD but the data will be at the standard OOB rate