Easy Equities good or bad?

AirWolf

Honorary Master
Check out Cashbuild.

LDT: 20/09/21
Dividend: R22.11 (before 20% div tax)

Share price went up on dividend announcement (01/09/21) from ~ R280 to R300.
But I see the share price has already lost that gain and is trading ~ R270.

Normally the higher price would stick around until after the LDT, then fall.

Anyone have any insight into this deviation from the normal pattern?

rvZA

Executive Member
Who here are making use of EasyProperties? Is it worth your while?

• Wow
Reactions: 3WA

SueC

NOTE: This is not financial advice. Do you own research etc.

But there are things called ETF's (exchange traded funds) which are like a basket of stocks. You get local ones, think SATRIX 40, which tracks the price of the top 40 stocks in South Africa. Then you also get international ones, like the S&P500, which tracks the price of the top 500 stocks in the USA. You can buy them in Rands on Easy Equities.

So I would invest in international ETF's like the S&P500, and not in South African ones.

There is a second option on Easy Equities. If you open a US Dollar account, you can directly buy US stocks/shares/ETFs. Like Apple, Google and ETF's like Vanguard etc.

The best way to go about it is read the fund fact sheet which is available on each ETF. See what shares are included in the fund, and look at the past performance over 1,3 and 5 years or more to see what % you can expect it to grow in future.

Thank you so much! I bought some Tesla a month or so ago… and so far so good!

SueC

NOTE: This is not financial advice. Do you own research etc.

But there are things called ETF's (exchange traded funds) which are like a basket of stocks. You get local ones, think SATRIX 40, which tracks the price of the top 40 stocks in South Africa. Then you also get international ones, like the S&P500, which tracks the price of the top 500 stocks in the USA. You can buy them in Rands on Easy Equities.

So I would invest in international ETF's like the S&P500, and not in South African ones.

There is a second option on Easy Equities. If you open a US Dollar account, you can directly buy US stocks/shares/ETFs. Like Apple, Google and ETF's like Vanguard etc.

The best way to go about it is read the fund fact sheet which is available on each ETF. See what shares are included in the fund, and look at the past performance over 1,3 and 5 years or more to see what % you can expect it to grow in future.

Thank you so much! I bought some Tesla a month or so ago… and so far so good!

mr_norris

Expert Member
Who here are making use of EasyProperties? Is it worth your while?
Bought into it a few weeks ago. I think around July. Not sure.

The valuation of the shares for the property have grown by 7.3%. I haven't been around in it looks enough to see what the auctioning is all about, and whether or not one can get back that value when selling shares.

I also haven't been in the game long enough to get dividends. I remember looking long ago at all the costs and they were quite steep - but I guess it's because of all the admin they do which is understandable. I expect the management fees to eat into that by a lot.

A big gripe of mine which I sort of understand being out of their control is how they manage funding. They IPO, and leave it open for a few weeks. If it's over funded by the closing date they do some sort of Pro rata thing. I think if it's funded by 120%, then you'll only have 80% of your cash invested. So if you want to put in a specific amount then you pretty much need to wait for the closing date and put in way more to invest what you really want to - at least that's how I played it.

The transaction / admin charges are also a bit steep when investing.

I'm bringing up a lot of negatives, but overall I can't say I regret it yet. None of the headache of buying my own small property to rent out, no dealing with tenants - I prefer being one :D

rvZA

Executive Member
Bought into it a few weeks ago. I think around July. Not sure.

The valuation of the shares for the property have grown by 7.3%. I haven't been around in it looks enough to see what the auctioning is all about, and whether or not one can get back that value when selling shares.

I also haven't been in the game long enough to get dividends. I remember looking long ago at all the costs and they were quite steep - but I guess it's because of all the admin they do which is understandable. I expect the management fees to eat into that by a lot.

A big gripe of mine which I sort of understand being out of their control is how they manage funding. They IPO, and leave it open for a few weeks. If it's over funded by the closing date they do some sort of Pro rata thing. I think if it's funded by 120%, then you'll only have 80% of your cash invested. So if you want to put in a specific amount then you pretty much need to wait for the closing date and put in way more to invest what you really want to - at least that's how I played it.

The transaction / admin charges are also a bit steep when investing.

I'm bringing up a lot of negatives, but overall I can't say I regret it yet. None of the headache of buying my own small property to rent out, no dealing with tenants - I prefer being one :D

Thanks, I will have a look at it. Seems you can't just buy and sell shares after the IPO, seems there are specific auction dates and they have some sort of system in place that manage the pricing. So, you may not always have access to your shares / funds until an auction for the specific premises comes up and that is another question... how long will you have to wait if you decide to sell shares.

Nonetheless, the idea is not to buy and sell shares, it should ultimately be to earn monthly dividends from rental income. I am just not sure how land reform, EWC, etc., will influence this going forward. I am a bit weary about that.

bobcpt

On which platform?

FNB recently launched etn products which will allow you to invest in a few selected US shares (including Tesla) using any South African stock broker. The selection is limited to Amazon, Tesla, Microsoft, Coke, McDonalds and the so called FANG stocks, i.e. Facebook, Apple, Netflix and Google. It is an easy option for those who want to gain exposure to these companies without having to open a US trading account.

mr_norris

Expert Member
Thanks, I will have a look at it. Seems you can't just buy and sell shares after the IPO, seems there are specific auction dates and they have some sort of system in place that manage the pricing. So, you may not always have access to your shares / funds until an auction for the specific premises comes up and that is another question... how long will you have to wait if you decide to sell shares.

Nonetheless, the idea is not to buy and sell shares, it should ultimately be to earn monthly dividends from rental income. I am just not sure how land reform, EWC, etc., will influence this going forward. I am a bit weary about that.
Yeah, I wanted some form of property that isn't a REIT. And I put in money that I shouldn't need access to for a while. So in that sense it works for me.

BuckRogers

I see conversions ZAR -> USD carries a bit of a premium:
1 USD = 14.8704 ZAR

I don't have USD in my account.
Can someone with some check the conversion rate back to ZAR pls.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
I see conversions ZAR -> USD carries a bit of a premium:
1 USD = 14.8704 ZAR

I don't have USD in my account.
Can someone with some check the conversion rate back to ZAR pls.

About 2% off the mid rate there. That's very normal. Credit cards can often do 4% off mid rate.

Gudnews

Expert Member
Anybody got SARS efiling tips with regards to them? I find daunting extracting pertinent information from those IT3 forms.

Gudnews

Expert Member
Your Easy Equities tax statement list the corresponding SARS code. :)

I found it easy to match them when doing e-filling.
That sounds promising. Which of the data from the IT3 did you have to input on your itr12 form if you don't mind me asking?

Edit: I see that on the ITR12 form it has the codes next to an input box/drop-down menu. So the boxes that need to be filled in should have those codes found on the IT3 form?

Last edited:

SueC

0f6eb5a1a1500cc169aee6553cca4723.jpg

I woke up to this… but the conditions in the grey are NOT all true for me.:: (eg I don’t have a TIN) … where do I go from here?