Electric Pressure Cooker Recipes

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Hello guys. Bought one yesterday and keen to start using it. I am planning making a whole chicken this week (leaning towards lemon and herb kind of flavour). I did a google search and there are a few pressure cooker threads, but seem they are more about the devices and which brands are preferred, so I thought I would start a mybb electric pressure cooker recipes thread which you guys might have and know work.

Please give quantities and settings on the cooker and cooking times required.

My first question .... for a whole chicken, how much time must be used? I know the cooker will have its predefined times on the various types of items such as meat, fish etc, but I am not sure if those can be trusted. I have never used a pressure cooker.

So ..... give us your tried and tested recipes.

Chuckmyster

Expert Member
I started a curry last night in my slow cooker so tonight it will be ready.
But damnit i wanted it last night so also keen to get an electric pressure cooker.

I remember in the 80s the pressure cooker meals were the best, juicy food :)

Subscribing to this thread for ideas. By the way which model did you buy?

qscwbt

Expert Member
the electric ones normally comes with a guide for cooking times. All I know it is quick. I guess chicken will be done on high pressure in a hour.

GoB

Expert Member
Got a Mellerware Juno recently with my fixation on max wattage devices. (1500W)

Seems to work well no matter what you try... I've tried stews, curry, and some chicken + rice. Also rice alone comes out better.

Just use less water than you think - sauces won't reduce while closed.

Very simple lamb stew I made: Marinated leg of lamb (so had some rosemary etc) for 20 mins in a cup of chicken stock, add vegetables and do another 20 minutes.
Throw out into a roasting pan, break the lamb in half and grill in oven for 2x10min to brown both sides.
Seems wasteful to use the oven as well, but there's no pre-heating and no real clean-up since the pan contains liquid.

Chuckmyster

Expert Member
Got a Mellerware Juno recently with my fixation on max wattage devices. (1500W)

Seems to work well no matter what you try... I've tried stews, curry, and some chicken + rice. Also rice alone comes out better.

Just use less water than you think - sauces won't reduce while closed.

Very simple lamb stew I made: Marinated leg of lamb (so had some rosemary etc) for 20 mins in a cup of chicken stock, add vegetables and do another 20 minutes.
Throw out into a roasting pan, break the lamb in half and grill in oven for 2x10min to brown both sides.
Seems wasteful to use the oven as well, but there's no pre-heating and no real clean-up since the pan contains liquid.
recipe sounds great and it makes sense to then use oven to brown afterwards :thumbsup:

Kosmik

Honorary Master
We use ours at least once a week:

Oxtail for an hour , falls off the bone
Beef stew/mutton curry, 45 mins
Corned Beef, pressure cook for 45mins, roast in oven for 30min after for crisp

Its a beautiful device, throw your meat in forget about it for 30-45mins, then throw in some veg and simmer for another 15. No stirring, nothing, just place and forget. Haven't done any chicken but pretty sure could make a mean chicken curry but maybe only 20mins as it would disintegrate.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
the electric ones normally comes with a guide for cooking times. All I know it is quick. I guess chicken will be done on high pressure in a hour.
You'd have nothing left after an hour. We do oxtail at that setting.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Ours is a simple timer device for up to 120 mins I think but our book says:

Soft meat: 20-30mins ( chicken , fish )
Meduim meat: 30-45mins ( beef goulash etc )
Tough meat: 60mins to 75mins ( oxtail, mutton etc )

Each device may be differant though, depends on your pressure. Just be VERY careful of your steam release after cooking. The water takes a while to get used to, we always added too much up front, you need very very little.

Chuckmyster

Expert Member
Ours is a simple timer device for up to 120 mins I think but our book says:

Soft meat: 20-30mins ( chicken , fish )
Meduim meat: 30-45mins ( beef goulash etc )
Tough meat: 60mins to 75mins ( oxtail, mutton etc )

Each device may be differant though, depends on your pressure. Just be VERY careful of your steam release after cooking.
yeah that is under massive pressure.
I remember in the 80s living in Paarl my dads gf didnt put the lid on tightly and we heard a massive explosion in the kitchen. The lid flew off damaging the ceiling and ALL the contents of the food was sprayed in the entire kitchen :ROFL::laugh:

SmuGS

I bought one last year and am still learning too. Youtube is your friend. I subscribe to a guy, Rick Mammana. I learned a few tricks from him..

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
I am going to try this on the weekend I think.

Screenshot from 2019-01-16 08.25.51.png

When they say "let the pressure cooker release naturally", does that mean you must not open the steam valve thingy and let the steam out? How do you know once it has "released naturally?

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
photo5343605693741115792.jpg

photo5343605693741115794.jpg

It was pretty darn yummy. Next time I will however reduce the sauce left over in the pot though. It was super easy and super quick. Love this little machine. Next weekend, Beef Stroganoff. lol.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
I am going to try this on the weekend I think.

View attachment 604126

When they say "let the pressure cooker release naturally", does that mean you must not open the steam valve thingy and let the steam out? How do you know once it has "released naturally?
They do release by themselves but I've normally let it out. Mine also has a warm setting after cooking where it keeps everything warm but not pressured.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender

upup

Executive Member
Hello guys. Bought one yesterday and keen to start using it. I am planning making a whole chicken this week (leaning towards lemon and herb kind of flavour). I did a google search and there are a few pressure cooker threads, but seem they are more about the devices and which brands are preferred, so I thought I would start a mybb electric pressure cooker recipes thread which you guys might have and know work.

Please give quantities and settings on the cooker and cooking times required.

My first question .... for a whole chicken, how much time must be used? I know the cooker will have its predefined times on the various types of items such as meat, fish etc, but I am not sure if those can be trusted. I have never used a pressure cooker.

So ..... give us your tried and tested recipes.
So is it a slow cooker or a pressure cooker.